run

"sorry it's not some palace," julian said. "it's the only place we can really relax without having to watch every move we make."

"no, i like it. it's different." i replied.

i had heard about the sewers before. a few of my friends invited me to go down there and hang out before the first day of junior year but i had to cancel. 

i can see why they wanted to come down here; it's hidden. 

it seems like a good place to not think. 

there were about 20 people in site. most of them were so high they couldn't stand. 

i was really excited now.

 julian grabbed my hand and guided me to a corner of the room. we sat down near a small group of people. 

i was expecting someone to hand me a blunt or maybe a drink. i looked over at julian and realized this was not a marijuana party - heroin was the new trend. 

i had only seen it once, and i never had any desire to try it. 

weed isn't as bad as people make it seem. most people have tried it once in their life. heroin, that's a whole 'nother world.

 julian handed me the syringe and i froze. 

holding it was ten times more surreal. 

i always imagined the injection being full on pain. but for some reason it was the best feeling. 

i laid beside julian while letting it all soak in. 

a shield came over me and took away all the pain. you know that feeling of waking up in the morning, stretching, then realizing you can fall back asleep? imagine that feeling, but you don't fall asleep.

my whole body was tingling, like a free-fall roller coaster. 

everything inside feels weightless. 

i looked over at him and felt this sensation. 

my mind was telling me he was the one. 

i placed his face in my hands and kissed him with all the energy i had left.

"you really are somethin." he whispered.

giddiness. 

as i begin to relax and forget everything in the world, i hear a taunting sound. it was distant at first, but slowly getting closer. i look around and see that no one else is concerned, so i relax once again.

~~~

commotion.

everywhere i look.

nothing was making sense.

each word he spoke to me was impossible to comprehend.

then i hear one word and knew what to do.

run.

julian helped me up and we followed the crowd of people towards the exit. as we were running the sound got louder.

 it almost sounded like a sunday morning. the bells chiming, people singing. instead of bells they were sirens; hollering instead of singing.

 my legs were weakening the more we ran. i was trying to figure out why everyone was running towards the sound. 

i let go of julian and pushed through the people behind me. there had to be another way. once he realized my plan he followed. 

my legs soon disappeared but i continued to run. 

then i saw our escape.

 i raced up to the ladder and julian helped me up. after i pulled him out we started running again. i couldn't figure out where we were.

"there's a small alley up ahead!" julian shouts.

he grabs my hand as we squeeze into the small space. 

my lungs started shrinking. 

i buried my head in his arms while listening to the sound of the sirens.

"it's okay," i say. "we're okay."

he smiles down at me then kisses my nose. as the sound got quieter i could feel my eyes getting heavy once again. i felt safe to rest in his arms.

"it's okay, we're okay."   

________________________________________________________________________________

no, i'm not a heroin addict. 

i used to know someone that was and i have been fascinated with it ever since

how do you like this love story so far? 

not very typical if you ask me

leave me comments and i'll be sure to reply!

xox