Baby, Whats Wrong

Ryker's Point Of View

Mari came back to camp much later. Her eyes were furrowed and her entire stance seemed tight. She didn't even try to fake a smile to her pack, she simply looked at me and shook her head. Getting on my feet, I sighed and followed her. Mari kept walking not even looking back to see I'd I was following, okay I'm getting a little nervous now.

"Why?" She asked her voice hourse as if she just got done crying, but that can't be true, Mari never cries.

Confusion swept over my face as she shook her head and looked away from me. "What do you mean?"

Her head twisted back as she stared daggers at me. Her eyes were moist and puffy with tears. "Quit lying." She snapped at me baring her teeth.

My heart felt like it just dropped onto the ground and got stepped on. "I don't under." She cut me off as she lunged at me, pushing me square onto my back. If this was any other wolf I wouldn't hesitate to shove her off me. But I couldn't do that to my mate.

"Why are you doing this to me. To MY pack?" Mari snarled at me. Anger flooded my vision as I pushed her off of me.

"Your pack Mari? This is our pack. I'm the beta!" I shouted my voice causing her to recoil in disgust.

"No your not, no liar, traitor is fit to stand by this pack." She began but I cut her off this time.

"Liar? Traitor? What in the h*** are you talking about? I've never done anything to you or anybody here." I cried in defense. The tears in her eyes were dried as the pain that once contained in her eyes was now pure undenying hatred.

"You being here is enough." Mari growled at me causing me to take a step back. Her Alpha tone came out strong now. No more uncertainty. No more fear.

"Mari." I couldn't think of anything else. She knows. This is what I've been hiding all my life, and she knows it all now. The only real question is how. "Ace, he's lying!"

She scoffed at me as she flicked her head to the side. "Oh really, how else would he know? I knew something was being hidden. I'm not stupid."

Defeat. Looking at the ground I knew I had to tell her. It's the only way to fix it.

"And last time I checked, I never once said anything about Ace. So is must be true." I could actually hear the heartbreak in her voice. Lifting my head I looked into her eyes.

"Mari you don't understand." I whined as she sat on the ground, her head in her paws. She suddenly sounded older.

"Your right Ryker. I don't understand. How could you not tell us? Tell me? Do I mean nothing to you? You know I'd die in a heartbeat to keep them safe, but you, now I'm questioning all my trust I ever had in you." Defeat and hurt hid her voice of anything else. Heck, if I was her I'd just make me leave right now. But I know she wouldn't. She'd die without me. "Just leave." She said in barely a whisper. My eyes widened as I stared at her. Uncertainty was in her eyes as I watched her.

"You don't mean it!" I yelled causing her to wince. "You know you don't." I felt the tears begin to form in my eyes. "You can't."

"I can if you put us all in danger. It's my job to keep them safe when you can't. They come first before mates. Even if it kills me." Mari replied without even looking at me.

"Fine, I'll leave but first I have to explain it to you." I said. This was my last chance to fix this. Her eyes didn't even look at me. She kept her head down, he paws playing in the grass. Taking a deep breath I began. "As you know I was already a rouge when I joined you guys. I had to get away from them Mari. I didn't love her. And I knew, just knew. If I stayed they'd force me to be with her. Even if I left, they'd track me down. I knew I had a mate, a real mate. So one night I killed her. I killed her, the Alpha's daughter. Do you know how much I risked, how much I messed up? I left before they could catch me."

Her eyes met with mine. "I know. You messed up, but how much do you think they'd keep a grudge. You can't kill the next in line for a pack and get away with it. Their going to look for you. And when they do, they'd take away everything. Your killing us everyday your here." My heart shattered at her words, even if I knew they were true.

"I'm sorry." I cried the tears streaking down my face. Pulling away I began walking back in direction of the woods. Most of the pack stood there, no doubt in my mind they heard everything. They avoided my eyes and kept away from me.

I reached the edge of the woods ans began running..their was nothing left. I was over. This was it. Something I've been dreading all my life with the pack. And now it came true.

Authors note

Well, that was awkward. Um, I guess the battle scenes coming up. Do you guys think Mari and Ryker will be okay? Or do you think this is it for the pack? It feels like Mari's done. Will the pack understand? Or do they all not know? Anyways, find out next upload.