Blood Runs At A Cost

Mari's Point Of View

Me eyes slowly open at a sight that sent my head spinning. One of my best friends, one of the most loving caring Alphas out there, layed still. Her blue eyes glazed over. Blood stained her pelt. The fear in her eyes shined into my eyes.

Closing my eyes quickly, I felt tears cascade down my cheeks. Sobbing, I fell onto my knees only to feel intense pain in my side, causing me to yelp. Gasping, I tried to back away, but my injured leg, throbbed painfully every time a small amount of my weight rested on it. Sinking to the ground, I linked closer to Lynn, just to have the same pain travel through my side again.

A course laugh sent shivers all down my back. Looking up the black eyes had mockery in them. "So, now your alone?" The wolf asked, his voice in a question form. I felt powerless against him.

His eyes snaked behind me to my friend who layed still. A smirk found its way onto his lips. Drawing my lips back in disgust I slowly began backing away from him, keeping my eyes focused on him, and him alone.

Cracking sounds caused me to wince slightly. Looking up, I saw him standing there, above me, stark naked. Whimpering, my wolf cried out for her mate. An evil grin spread across his lips. His tan, built body could easily distract any female, but his eyes were dark and cruel looking. He slowly began stepping closer to me, his grin growing in size the closer he got to me.

Growls echoed around me as the man above me head whipped straight around. The scent of other wolves quickly filled my snout. Fear over came me until I recognized Clark and my mate, Ryker standing behind him. Ryker glanced at Lynn then at me. Once the man was distracted I took time to lung onto him, attaching my nails into his side. Clark joined in, pinning the man down as I stood above him, my nails wet with his blood. The crimson smell sent my wolf crazy.

Ryker was bent over Lynn, his tail down. Clark sent me a wolfy grin as he stared at the man beneath us. Nodding my head I closed my eyes and stepped away, waiting for the final sounds of the man who killed my best friend. After a few seconds I heard the sound of cracking bones as the man shifted. A loud yelp caused me to open my eyes to the sight of Clark and Ryker fighting to hold down the wolf, who was thrashing violently around. Jumping to my feet, I dashed over to them when at that moment, a heavy body smashed into my side sending me sliding across the dirt. Sticks and thorns snagged at my exposed paws and face.

My eyes widened in hate and fear as the Blondish pelt and blue eyes stared back at me. Snarling I launched myself at him as he sidestepped me. Landing on my paws I turned around to see nothing. Turning my head in every direction I searched for the wolf who stood before me. No scents filled my snout as as I breathed in the earthy scent of the forest around me. Everything seemed to still as I stood on my three legs. Panting I turned my head to see I was totally alone. Everyone was gone. I was alone. Blood ran down my muzzle as cuts on my flanks and face itches painfully. Leaping through the trees I tried to find the smell of my pack but came up empty. I was beginning to feel as if I fell off the face of the Earth.

Ryker's Point Of View

Shifting into wolf form I trotted out of my house and into the clearing to run straight into Carver. His entire body shook as he crouched onto the ground. Tears fell from his eyes. Looking around the clearing I noticed several wolves gathered around in a circle, around something. "Carver, what happened?" I asked keeping my voice strong and unwavering.

The only response I got was his eyes looking onto mine. The pain was deep, along with fear. "My ma.. mate." He cried out his body shaking as more sobs broke through him. Nodding my head I made my way over to the group of wolves. Their eyes glanced at me before they scooted aside. Looking down I spotted Clark. His pelt was glistening with sweat as his eye shut. Reaching my paw down, I gently prodded his side. His eyes opened slowly as he tried to stand back up. After about three tries, he stood before me. His eyes were wide as he began trotting from me in direction of the woods. Understanding, I followed him.

Glancing around I stopped short as did Clark as the scent of Lynn and Mari filled our noses. Running full speed I heard whimpering and laughing. Clark turned back to me as the sounds got louder in our ears. Sliding to a stop, I crept closer through the trees. A thump filled my ears along with silence. My eyes fell into slits as a black wolf stood over top a blond pelt. That's when I recognized Lynn. Cracking of a wolf shifting I glanced at Clark who shrugged his shoulders. Sighing I watched the wolf shift into a man. Mari huddled in wolf form underneath him, slowly backing away. He stepped closer a grin on his face.

Launching from my cover of the woods I stood besides the man, Clark on my other side. My vision shown red as I fought to keep some control. Clark stiffened as his eyes found Lynn. My heart skipped a beat as I saw the Alpha. That's when everything I saw this morning came back to me.

I padded closer to Lynn as I heard a scream as Mari lunged at the man, shoving him to the ground. Turning away, I bent over Lynn, sniffing her scent. It was faint as her eyes stared back at me. The blue color was fading away. Glancing at her side I noticed her Alpha mark was gone. She looked like a rouge now. Placing my head on her shoulder I breathed in her scent before standing back up. Closing her eyes with her paw I jumped up as the man shifted back into a wolf, his eyes glaring down at Clark. Lunging I pushed him down, only to be thrown off. Mari's scent filled my snout as me and Clark struggled to keep the wolf down. Clark's muscles were tensed along with mine. This wolf was stronger then both of us combined. Jumping off, Clark shot me a murderous look as the wolf shoved him off. Landing with a thud Clark quickly launched himself at the wolf, his teeth finishing him off. Silence filled the air as we stood there panting. That's when I noticed we were alone. Mari and Lynn aren't here. No body was. Sharing a look we high tailed it back in direction of the camp, to tell everyone about the find, only to find mine and Clark's pack the only two their.