f i v e

I wake up feeling a light shove on my left shoulder, "Jules, wake up..." Liam's soft voice murmurs to me. I slowly open my eyes, sit up and look at Liam, he's holding a bag with donuts and two plastic cups and I smell the distinctive smell of hot chocolate. "What's this?" I ask, as I look up at Liam, who's smiling broadly at me. "Umm, well you fell asleep, and I didn't want to wake you up...so I just drove us to the beach and got food" He says as he hands me a bag with a powdered donut in it, and a hot chocolate. As we eat our food in silence, a comfortable silence surrounding us, "It's so beautiful here," I say as I look around. The little boutiques with twinkle lights in the wide windows, and trees wrapped around in more twinkle lights. The slight trickle of rain hitting the windows of the car with a rhythmic tick-tick. Light gray clouds overshadowing the light rays of sunshine, giving the little town square a blue feeling of quiet and peace. As I turn to look at Liam, I realize that he's been staring at me while I looked around, "Uh- yeah, my Grandma used to bring me here on the weekends. I remember walking all around this little square, I got lost once and I just sat by those roses and cried my eyes out. My grandma found me and she told me something that I'll never forget..." Liam's eyes sparkle with love as he talks about his grandma; I vaguely notice that he's never mentioned his mom. I give him a smile, "What'd she tell you that makes you smile so much?" He looks at me, "She told me that she'd never let me lose myself, that she'd always find me." Liam's beautiful eyes are suddenly clouded with sadness and pain, I grab his hand in my two smaller ones, "She loves you, and you love her, that's easy to see Liam" I whisper as he squishes my hand suddenly, and I look up and see silent tears streaming down his face in a slow painful rhythm, his lips quivering as he lets me see the pain hidden in his soul. I remain silent and unbuckle my seatbelt, and lean over and hug him. He clasps his arms around my waist and pulls me over to sit on his lap, I stay there hugging him, his silent sobs raking his body and simultaneously breaking my heart. I look up at his face, and softly brush my fingertips over his face wiping his tears away, his eyes locked with mine the entire time. "You know, even when you cry your eyes sparkle Liam" I say with a small smile on my lips, remembering what he said to be in the parking lot. His lips curve up and smile obviously remembering that he told me the same thing in the parking lot. "My eyes are not nearly as beautiful as yours Juliet" he says as he runs his fingertip along my jaw. A flush creeps into my cheeks, I look down and start to play with the buttons on his shirt. I want to know what causes him so much pain but I don't want to be annoying, so I keep silent, the question burning my tongue. "My mom past away from breast cancer when I was 5 years old, and I watched her waste away in front of my eyes. And I remember I came home from school and she looked so pale, her breathing shallow and her hands cold, I lay in her arms while she talked to me and promised me that she'd never let me lose myself, that she would always be there for me from heaven. She promised me that she would become my guardian angel when she got to heaven." His eyes glisten with new tears, and I feel wetness from my eyes as I realize that I had started to cry. "I-I watched my mom take her last breath and felt her hands go limp in my hands, my mom died holding me in her arms. Protecting me, if you will, until her last breath." Liam says as his arms tighten around me once again, and I lace my arms around his neck, and lay my head on his shoulder. And I lay there holding this beautiful man in my arms falling more in love with him.