Chapter 12: A painful ordeal

I am over the freaking moon right now, you guys are just the best :') I know this chapter is short but I was in a mood to publish and dont worry I will most likely be publishing something tomorrow too, to make up for this short chapter. I tired to make it longer, honestly I did--thats what she said-- but its like 3 am here and my eyes are droppy but I will publish the rest tomorrow ^^. A big thank you so much and you are awesome to the person I dedicated this chapter to, she knows why ;) 

xxx

SSC

Meg sat at the edge of her bed, staring down at the mood pendant in the shape of a crescent moon in the palm of her hand. She never knew why her father had given her a necklace in the shape of a moon, it was almost prophetic in away. But she remembered that look in her father’s eyes when she wore the necklace for the first time, it was sad and almost dazed and the only other time Meg remembered a look like that on her father’s face was when she asked about her mother.

Her fingers closed around the necklace, a deep heavy sigh escaping her lips. She couldn’t even imagine herself handing over such a precious object, how was she going to physically give it to her aunt?

It doesn’t matter, if it meant staying with the ones I love for as long as possible, it’s worth it. 

Even though it physically hurt to have to give up the only reminder of her father, she knew she would feel naked, insecure and depressed without it. With forced determination Meg shoved the necklace into her pant pocket before getting to her feet.

Meg made her way down the spiral staircase, frowning at the sight of Derek’s well made bed once more. She couldn’t shake the feeling that he was avoiding her, he would usually take the time to see her even when he got home late after training, or at least call or text her just to check in. Meg tried not to be too paranoid; it’s only been a day.

Isaac was in the kitchen and looked up when she descended the steps from her bedroom, she managed a small smile which he instantly saw through, and his stare fell to her neck, noticing the lack of jewelry.

“Today is the day huh?” He asked as she came trudging towards him.

“I was hoping she would pop out of somewhere in this apartment and pull an Ashton Kutcher on me, but no.”  She didn’t even feel like giggling at her own clever references to TV shows.

“Want me to come with you?” she smiled at his offer and slowly shook her head.

“No its fine, I doubt it’s going to be pretty.” Meg made her way to the door before glancing back at him and sending him a lazy wave “See you later.”

Isaac stared after her with an evident frown on his face.

Stiles walked out of comic book store; with a bright smile on his face while clutching a brown bag with the latest Batman comic—Batman The Dark Knight 009—he was eager to rip into the plastic casing and begin reading the moment he gets home. He practically ran to his car and hopped into his jeep, just when he was about to put his key into the ignition a body slammed against the door of his car, startling him.

He dead-panned at the sight of Meg’s face pasted in an awkward way against the glass of his window, she grinned mischievously and wiggled her eyebrows at him. Stiles rolled down the window of his car and her head popped inside, smiling up at him.

“Hey Stiles what’s up, how you doin’ brotha?”She greeted which immediately coaxed a smile from him.

“Did you just run here?” He asked noticing her out of breath form and the sweat beads on her forehead, she looked away all shifty eyed like she was just caught with her finger in the nutella jar and now she was trying to blame it on fairies.

“Maybe, listen I need a favour.”

“Sure what do you need?” He was alert and intrigued, Meg rarely asked for favors and when she did it was for usually something important.

“Well if it’s not too much trouble, can you give me a ride to the Blossom’s Motel?” She asked, meekly and politely as always.

“Okay…why?” Now he was suspicious.                

“To see my aunt I have to uh, give her a parting gift, she is leaving tonight.” He knew she was lying, especially when she dashed to the other side of the jeep and jumped into the passenger seat beside him.

“Oh that would make sense, if your aunt wasn’t Satan’s mistress but she is, so what are you really up to?” He asked as she buckled up her seat belt, she pouted at him and continued to avoid his honing stare.

“Well she may not be the nicest person but it doesn’t mean I am not, can I not give my aunt a gift?”

“Meg.” He drawled, her lips opened and closed a few times trying to validate her statement before she sighed out of frustration and slumped back on the seat.

“Damn it Stilinski, must you be so inquisitive about everything?” She huffed and he grinned in triumph and placed one large hand on the shift stick before pushing it forward and turning the vehicle out of its space beside the side walk in front of the store.

“Why don’t you just tell me on the way huh?” He suggested, Meg nodded in reluctant agreement.  

''''''''''''

“I can’t believe she gave you an ultimatum like that, so you are really going to do it?” Stiles exclaimed in outrage, Meg shook her head with that same sad puppy eyed expression.

“I am going to give another shot at trying to get her to see reason but if she doesn’t well… I have no other choice.” Stiles frowned, not at all satisfied by her demoralized answer; he stared down at the asphalt with his thick dark brows knitted in resentment

“Yeah you do, you could flash your fangs, do a little shape shifting and voila, scare her into submission.” Meg couldn’t help but laugh lightly at his words; she knew she could rely on him to bring her back to a good mood.

“I don’t want to use abilities to intimidate people—as fun as that sounds—and she isn’t supposed to find out Stiles, I don’t want that action to back fire on me.”She stated with all seriousness, a silence fell upon them again as Stiles contemplated different tactics to approach the situation.

“What about Derek?” He asked glancing at Meg, paying keen attention to her reaction.

“No I don’t want him to be involved, he doesn’t know about any of this and he has too much on his plate anyway.” She whispered with a soft hesitation in her voice that Stiles was quick to notice, it wasn’t hard to tell that there was some sort of tension between Meg and Derek. His frown only deepened, why did Derek always have such a tendency to hurt her feelings?

He didn’t even bother to wonder if it was the other way around.

“Meg it’s your necklace” His voice had gentled “I see you fiddle with that thing all the time with your tiny hands; you can’t possibly think you could let it go could you?” Meg stared at him for the longest time with such wonder in her eyes; Stiles felt heat creep up his neck when he replayed the words he uttered in his mind. Great, now he knew what a discovered stalker feels like. But then she smiled at him without any judgment or confusion but there was this palpable sorrow in her stare as she averted her gaze down to her pocket.    

“It’s just an object” she spoke, her fingers itched to pull the chain out of her pocket but she didn’t “I don’t need a necklace to keep his memory alive and it’s not worth losing all of you for it.”