friends to lovers - c.l.

I sat at my desk in 5th period, pencil in hand. I tapped it on a desk, a steady rhythm in beat.

*tap tap* *tap tap* *tap tap*

He sat on the other side of the class. His hair was now long enough to be put in a bun, but he left it down, covering his eyes slightly.

I looked over at him. I stared.

He was wearing a plain gray t-shirt with a pair of denim jeans. The tag on his shirt read "Levis". I smiled.

He was wearing black converse. They were slightly torn. A stitching was lose from the right corner of his left shoe. I wonder if he had noticed.

His posture was slightly layed back as he sat in his chair, staring at nothing. He bit his lip and set his feet flat on the ground.

Why was I so observant of him? Why did I take my time each day during fifth period just to waste it all on him? This obsession had gotten out of hand certainly.

He doesn't want you.

I turned by attention back to the SmartBoard™.  But I couldn't help but take one last look at him.

I turned my head again towards his direction. Only this time, I turned to catch his eyes staring at me.

I was shocked. But I didn't care to look away. I stayed. And so did he.

We locked eyes with each other, but it was still as if we were staring at nothing. As if this wasn't happening.

Neither of us made a sound, but held the stare. Sort of like a staring competition. But I'm still not aware of what was happening.

I wanted to say something. Why the hell are you staring at me you loser! Stop it! Stop making me feel this way! But no. I held the stare.

Suddenly, the bell rang, leading me back into reality. I quickly grabbed my books, and pushing my chair in. I wanted to get out of this classroom as soon as possible.

As I made my way out, I felt a force, as I was pushed down.

"Oof!" I gasped as I fell. I had bumped into someone.

"I'm so sorry," the person said. "Here let me help you with your books."

"Thank y-"

I looked up to see Caleb grabbing my books for me as we had both reached down for the same one. My hand was on top of his.

He looked at me. I looked at him. Oh great, we were staring at each other again.

Kids made their way around us as we sat there.

My palms were getting sweaty. Once again, I felt like screaming. Let go of the book you idiot! Just let me live my life!

I looked back down at my book. I coughed a couple of times before looking back up at him. "Um, t-thank you. This is my book." I said.

He blinked. "O-oh yeah. Right. Here you go." He said, handing it over.

I took it. "Thanks."

"No problem. Sorry about knocking you down." He stuttered.

"It's fine," I slightly smiled.

We sat there for a little bit in awkward silence, before he stood up a made his way out the door, not bothering to acknowledge a goodbye.

I got off the floor, dusting myself off, before heading back into the hallway.

I sighed, wanting to spill tears down my cheeks as my eyes watered.

"How do you make the change from friends, to lovers?"