just friends - c.l.

"And I'm stuck In the friend zone again and again"

.

.

.

Today was the day I was gonna do It.

Today was the day I was gonna tell Caleb I had feelings for him.

I've had a crush on Caleb ever since I had met him In 6th grade. Braces and all, I thought he was the cutest boy I had ever seen.

We ended up becoming best friends, and as our relationship grew bigger, I began to be more and more attracted to him.

I just didn't know If he felt the same way.

But today would determine It all.

I walked Into homeroom and took my seat next to Caleb. He looked my way and smiled at me.

"Happy Monday Y/N! Ready for another week of hell?"

I giggled at him. His sense of humor was always the best.

"Yeah I guess so", I sighed.

We sat there for a couple minutes In just awkward silence, waiting for the second bell to ring.

I guess this was my chance.

"So Caleb" , I said kind of silently. He turned his head my way, his full attention on me.

The way he was staring made me pretty nervous. I started to sweat bullets.

"You doing anything during your lunch period today?"

He smiled. "Actually no. I wanted to kind of talk to you during lunch today, If I'm being honest. I have something to tell you."

My face turned as red as a tomato.

"Great! I have something I wanna tell you too", I spoke as I played with my pencil.

"Cool. Call It a date?"

That made my heart flutter a million times.

"Sure."

The second bell rung, and our teacher walked Into class. Talk time was over. Now all I had to do was wait for 12:43 to come.

.

.

.

The lunch bell had rung, and I think I was ready for this. I grabbed my lunch bag and headed outside near the big oak tree, waiting for Caleb. I was still wondering what he was gonna say, and It was making me anxious.

Then I saw him walking towards me with a bottle of water In his hand. I started to get nervous, and I started to sweat again. I didn't know If I could do this.

"Hey Y/N", he said casually. My heart started to beat faster. I looked up at him.

"Oh hi Caleb", I spoke. My voice cracked slightly.

He took a seat next to me. "So, who's gonna speak first?", he chuckled.

I laughed a little. "You can go first", I said.

"You sure?"

"Positive"

"Ok then", he smiled. "Y/N, there's someone I'd like you to meet. Destiny!"

I quickly looked up to see a brunette girl wearing black converse, skinny jeans, and a Forever 21 shirt and Beanie walking towards Caleb.

"What's up babe?", she questioned as he wrapped his arms around her waist.

I wanted to know what was up also. But I think I was too late.

"Y/N, um, I'd like you to meet my girlfriend, Destiny!"

My heart broke into a million pieces.

Destiny waved at me and smiled.

But I just sat there shocked.

"So, what was It you need to tell me?"

I felt a huge lump In my throat as I held back tears.

I couldn't tell him I had feelings for him.

I quickly put a fake smile on my face and looked them both In their faces.

"Oh, well um, congrats!", I said In my best cheerful tone.

"I'm glad you could be so supportive Y/N. I'll always put you In my heart as my number one friend!"

I nodded.

Number one friend.