Chapter 5

"What are you doing here?" I sighed and he scowled, at first, then he sighed in defeat, shaking his head.

"Is that how you greet your husband after being away for half a year, dear wife?" He frowned and stood tall.

"You saw me earlier? That's funny coming from you." I sarcastically remarked and his lips formed a thin line.

"Oh. Of course you'd have to be there! To support that devil's spawn of a relative, of yours." I rolled my eyes and he nodded.

"Indeed. I thought it was a weird hallucination everyone was getting." He joked to himself and I ignored him.

Something was off, though.

He wasn't scolding me or ordering me around.

I ignored him and returned to arranging my luggage.

"Which reminds me... Where's your ring?" he questioned and I exhaled heavily, pulling out my necklace that has my wedding ring as my pendant.

"You dare question me when you never wore yours, even once?" I scoffed and he frowned.

He started walking towards me with his hands on his pocket.

I looked at him with a raised eyebrow and he continued to approach me.

When he was just inches away from me, he started to grab my shoulders and he engulfed me with his two muscular arms.

I was shocked.

Shock was an understatement.

If there is any word beyond shock, this was probably it.

What would you have felt if the person that you hate the most, would just hug you out of the blue?

While you guys have other things in mind?

Mine was shouting, 'There must be an ulterior motive to this.'

"You made me worry." He breathes straight through my ear and it created goosebumps from my neck to my arm.

From the moment he said that, I actually felt that he's somehow changed.

Things changed when you left.

What does Erza mean?

"Are you dying?" I asked him, out of the blue, and broke from the hug, glaring angrily at me.

"That's not funny! I'm trying to work us out. I'm trying my best here. But, it doesn't mean I'm dying!" he growled, sitting on the bed beside me, and I flinched.

Then, he started breathing in and out.

After a few minutes, he calmed down.

"Look..." he started off, biting his lower lip and looking at the ground.

"I'll do better, this time..." he stated and I creased my eyebrows in confusion.

"Better for what?" I questioned and he looked at me, straight in the eyes.

"Being a husband." He declared, smiling hopefully, enclosing my hands with his.

Time stopped.

Series of flashbacks came to view and I physically shook in anger.

"Uhuh... Like I'd fall for that." I sarcastically remarked and it took him aback.

"Lu-" he started to say but I cut him off.

"Never again." I hissed and he looked dejected.

His eyes looked... disheartened.

"If you really did change, leave me alone." I grit my teeth and he clenched his jaw.

"I can't do tha-" He started but I cut him off.

"I'll do whatever you ask, just leave me alone." I hissed and he was balling his fists.

"You no longer have to do whatever I ask, just let me stay beside you." He pleaded and I laughed, darkly.

"Sure, you do." I sarcastically commented and he looked at my eyes, like he was searching for my soul.

"Trust me... Just this time!" He convinced and I eyed him like he was the most disgusting creature in the world.

"I tried that before and it didn't work well. Look where it got us. So, why now?" I smirked at him.

"Please... Let's just try... working this thing out... " He implored and I raised an eyebrow at him.

"Screw you." I spat and he closed his eyes, calming himself down.

"I know that you need more time... to think... So, I'll just see you tomorrow morning..." He sighed in defeat, shaking his head, and I rolled my eyes.

He stood up and faced me with a small smile.

He walked towards the door, trudging slowly.

When he was about to close it, I heard something I've never heard from him.

"Good night, wife."