Chapter 14 - The Gala

The week passed quickly in a flurry of activity. Preparations for the gala took up most of their time, but every evening was theirs together. Sarah had just come from a dress fitting when Jareth met her in the hallway.

"Care for a walk?" He asks, holding his hand out to her.

She smiled in acceptance and he led her out a side door to the garden. They walked in silence, admiring the beauty around them. Their walks were often followed by dinner with his family, with the exception of Giselle. She'd refused to apologize for her actions and words against Sarah and decided to return to her husbands kingdom rather than stay for the gala.

Gideon on the other hand, had given his apology in a comedic and unforgettable way. They were just sitting down to dinner the night after the argument when he spoke up.

"Sarah, might I speak?" He asked.

She felt Jareth tense and saw looks of confusion around the table. She nodded cautiously. Getting up to circle around the table, he spoke.

"Dear Sarah, it is quite obvious that you and my brother are smitten with each other," She blushed and Jareth contemplated hitting him for his abrasiveness. They all wondered where he was going with his speech. "Though I feel his visits to the above ground were foolish, I can see why he did so. The above ground gave him you and I am quite grateful he has found you, regardless of the means. Dear Sarah," He kissed her hand and bent to one knee. "Will you look past my awful behavior and accept me as your arrogant, yet loving, future brother in law?"

Everyone laughed in relief, including Jareth and Sarah. She accepted his "proposal" and he kissed her cheek before sitting down for the meal to continue.

The night before the gala, Alesia tells them she decided to make it into a masquerade. Excitement rises at the idea and Sarah and Jareth head to bed in anticipation of the following night. Sarah's only concern was being left awkward and alone.

"I'll be with you the entire time, pet," He says as he gets into bed beside her. She wanted him with her every night in the case that she had another nightmare. "Right beside you." His words remind her of a long ago song, and he sings softly as he also remembers. "I'll be there for you-ou-ou. As the world falls down."

She fell into a deep, dreamless sleep, his song drifting in and out of her ears.

The morning of the gala dawned and they were both well rested. As soon as breakfast was over, Alesia whisks Sarah away, telling Jareth he'll see them at the gala. Hours pass as the final fitting is held and appropriate adjustments are made to their dresses and masks. Esmeralda arrives after lunch and her final fitting takes place as well.

As the clock strikes 7, Alesia leads them to the ballroom entrance. The entire royal family and their spouses (with the exception of Giselle and her husband) are to be introduced, ending with Sarah, as she is to become the goblin queen.

Jareth is strikingly handsome in his dress clothes. Sarah reminisces of the outfit he wore all those years ago, when she'd taken a bite of a poisoned peach and envisioned a dream ball. The gown she wore also resembled the one from that ball. Jareth had whisked her into it in hopes of making her forget Toby.

He offers his arm and Sarah clings to it. He kisses her cheek, very close to the corner of her mouth. Alesia sighs in admiration to the show of affection and Sarah blushes.

Trumpets sound and everyone enters the ballroom, Byron and Alesia first, Jareth and Sarah bringing up the rear. A man announces their names and titles. As it is the first time Sarah hears hers other than Jareth saying it, it takes her a moment to realize it is her.

"The goblin king Jareth and the future goblin queen Sarah."

Various Fae's and rulers of other kingdoms were looking at her, sizing her up. She saw their smirks and heard their whispers, analyzing everything about her. Jareth and Alesia take turns introducing her to everyone. A glass of wine is handed to her and her and she sips it too quickly. Jareth leads her in a dance that reminds her more of the dream ball.

"I told you, I knew you would come back," He says as they twirl through the crowd, their eyes locked together. "A long ago vision told us that, pet."

"But you were so ruthless to me," She says, fighting to keep her thoughts her own. His gaze was that hypnotizing to her.

"I was ruthless when I knew you were going to leave me, but still I tried to get you to stay. I never would have guessed at the time that we were glimpsing at the future. Only this time, I won't let you break away so easily, my pet."

Jareth twirls her before pulling her close to him, their gaze locked again. The music changes and they recognize the tune. He hums along and her heartbeat quickens noticeably.

"Your heartbeat, pet," He says, feeling it as though there were no clothes between them. "Beating so fast. In search of new dreams, a love that will last."

"Will it last?" She interjects.

"A Fae only has one true mate Sarah. A soul mate, as your human novels would say. You are mine remember?" He says the last sentence huskily and puts slight pressure on her lower back, where his hand had been resting.

"Make it so. Please?" She whispers as Jareth is tapped on the shoulder by a tall, balding man.

"Might I have a dance with Lady Sarah?"

Jareth nods and hands her over, laughing at the glare in her eyes. He silently thanked the man for his intrusion, otherwise he would have given into Sarah's request.

Sarah and the man dance, making polite conversation with each other. When the music ends, he bows and they go their separate ways. She weaves through the crowd, looking for Jareth. Gideon suddenly appears, asking for a dance. They waltz around the room, Sarah straining her neck for any sign of Jareth.

"What's wrong?" He asks her, noticing her distant expression.

"It's silly," She says.

"Try me."

"I can't find Jareth. He promised not to leave me."

"He's here somewhere, I'm sure."

They dance through two more songs without a sign of Jareth. Lost in thought, Sarah didn't realize Gideon had asked her a question.

"I - What? I'm sorry Gideon." She tells him.

"I simply asked if you wanted to see the hall of mirrors?"

"Hall of mirrors?" Sarah is intrigued. "Yes, of course."

Gideon leads her away, ushering her out the ballroom, down the hall, and up two fights of stairs. Things begin to blur together as they get further from the ballroom. It gets to the point where Sarah doesn't know who or where she is. It's almost as if she has been put under a spell. Gideon's hand is around her waist and suddenly it was no longer there. Turning around to be sure he is still with her, she cannot see him.

"Gideon?" She asks.

Rough hands shove her from behind and she stumbles sideways through a doorway.

Regaining her wits, she looks up to see dozens of herself looking back at her. The door slams behind her. She rushes to open it but there is no handle.

She is locked in the hall of mirrors.