Chapter 1 - An Offer

The King knew the accident would happen, he just knew it! The highs and lows of keeping an eye on her, even after all this time. He'd tried to warn her, disguising his voice as her precious Hoggle's. But of course she hadn't listened to him. She rarely did heed his warnings.

He sighed and teleported to the beginning of the Labyrinth. He leaned against a wall and softly called her name. All there was left to do was wait for her to find him.

"Sarah... Sarah..."

The whispered name could be imagined, but I she knows otherwise. She entered through the main Labyrinth gate, excited to be back and terrified of the voice calling to her at the same time.

"Why am I here?" She thought out loud.

"Sarah..."

Of course, it's his voice. She walked down the path, breaking into a run. She has to find him!

After what felt like hours, the voice is right beside her. She turned to the right to face him and they look each other up and down.

"Why did you bring me here? I didn't call you." She accuses.

"Oh, you didn't?" He takes a step toward her and she takes one backwards. "Maybe not consciously, but all the same. You did call for me, my pet."

"Send me back," She demands.

"Hear me out, precious pet," She folds her arms but doesn't interrupt. "You are dying. You've been hit by a car." He slowly walks in a circle around her, never taking his eyes from hers. "You will never wake from the coma. Your parents are going to pull the plug to the machine sustaining your life."

He completes his circle, stopping directly in front of her. Her arms drop to her sides as realization dawns on her beautiful and much matured face.

"I'm dead?" It sounds weird rolling off her tongue.

"Dying, pet. But! I can save you."

"But at what price!?" She exclaims.

"I would hardly consider it a price, but more an... improvement."

"Why would you do that?" She asks, suspecting his offer but wanting to hear it.

"Surely you don't need to ask that, Sarah. After all I've done for you, you continue to question me still." The King walked right up to Sarah until there were mere inches between them, looking down into her eyes.

"I've asked you for nothing." She continued to defy him still.

"Really? I know you think of me often, my pet. As do I of you." He reached out a hand to play with a lock of hair on her shoulder.

Sarah blushed and stammers to deny his words. Jareth holds up a hand to silence her.

"I've not brought you here to taunt you, but to offer you a way to live again. Those mortal doctors cannot save you. At this moment, they are speaking to your parents."

"Just say it. What do you want Jareth?" He loved the way she said his name.

"A queen. You as my queen Sarah. Together we can rule the Goblin Kingdom."

They stare at each other in silence. He marvels at the beautiful woman she has become. He's confident she'll agree when the answer bursts from her lips.

"No, I'd rather die."

"Sarah, think of what you're giving up. I can give you the world! All you have to do is say yes!"

"No."

Jareth's face hardens, but not before Sarah sees the unmistakable look of hurt flash through his eyes.

"You defy me still..." He said sadly before recovering. "Very well," He says in a cold, emotionless voice. "Go back to your pitiful human life. What is left of it anyways. If you change your mind, all you have to do is wish for me, pet. And perhaps I'll think of coming to your aid."

With those harsh words, Jareth disappeared, leaving Sarah alone to watch the Labyrinth fade into a white abyss around her.