Chapter 9

“Well, let me tell you two, that kid’s going to be prodigy” the ultrasound tech said, turning towards the young couple.

Theo sighed, as blood rushed to his cheeks, knowing that Octavia was also blushing. “Thanks, Phil” he smiled faintly.

“Would you like me to print out the ultrasound?” Phil asked kindly, standing up.

“O-okay” Octavia whispered, also standing up from the examining table.

The older man smiled and left the room, leaving Theo and Octavia in there on their own. Suddenly, Octavia hugged Theo tightly, starting to sob lightly.

“Shh, calm down, Octi” he whispered stroking her hair. “Cheer up. We’ll have a beautiful child” he continued, pulling away and looking into her eyes.

“I know that. But it’ll only have fifteen years before…” she started, but a loud sob cut her off.

“Now, now. I’m worried too. But, for now, all we can do is hope that Crimson finds a way around it. All though he and Lauren seem all over each other. It may be distracting for him”

They recently found out that Lauren was a journalist for the New York Times, living in Manhattan quite near Theo’s apartment complex.

Octavia let out a sigh and wiped her tears, suddenly grinning widely.

“What’s with the sudden change of heart?” Theodore asked, sending her a puzzled glance.

“Well, I figured that for fifteen years I should care for our baby as good as I can, and hope that Crimson will get us around this. We’ll cross that bridge when we get to it, right?” Octavia responded smiling, but the smile didn’t reach her eyes. It was obvious that this whole thing was eating her from the inside.

Theo noticed the sadness in her eyes, but said nothing more, as Phil returned with an envelope in his hand.

“So, have you thought of any names?” Octavia asked, lying on her couch, resting her head on Theo’s lap and gazing at the ultrasound.

Theodore chuckled. “Isn’t it too soon? I mean, you’re only two months along. There’ll be plenty of time for that” he said, stroking her hair.

The woman sighed. “I know. I just…I don’t know. I guess I’m overreacting. I’m just so excited, but I’m anxious too. And scared. And worried”

“Don’t be. You’ll be fine. After all, you have me” Theo grinned and tucked a strand of hair behind her ear.

“Why, thank you, my modest Theo” she said sarcastically, yet playfully.

Theodore bended over and pecked her lips. “So I’m ‘your’ Theo now?” he asked playfully and pecked her lips again, just to be distracted by Octavia’s phone going off.

She groaned, reaching for her pocket and pulling out the ringing phone, answering it and putting it on speaker then resting it on her stomach, too lazy to keep the device against her ear. “Yes?”

“Oh my God, Octavia! You’re pregnant!” her mother’s surprisingly cheerful voice boomed through the speaker.

“Hello to you too, mom” the black haired woman said. “How the fuck did you know?” she exclaimed as realization hit her.

“I just know, ok?” Hepta retorted. “How do you think I knew when you first got your period, or when your first tooth began to grow?”

Octavia glanced at the light brown haired man, noticing his amused expression. “Let me guess. Igneel aura sensing skills?”