Chapter 16: Bubbles

Ashton was staring at me, and I'm completely baffled by his sudden return after this morning's drama. It's not really that I expect him to be any different now. And here we go again, popping bubbles like we used to do – he usually does. One day he feels like saying "I want to stay with you" but decided to leave minutes after, and another day he feels like showing up on my doorstep with his luggage. One day he's sweet and happy even though I don't tell him that but next he's distant and mysterious. What's wrong with this guy? He smiled weakly approaching us. His face hadn't changed, not physically, but the emotions forming on his face. Something like dreary and distressed. But there's also something else I see in his eyes like he's in a battle with himself – or within himself.

His brown eyes staring at me makes me wander in the wonderland. I push back the thoughts and I try hard not to smile at the thought that he's here. He studied me but I don't know what he's searching for. Mr. Whiskers cleared his throat. We break our immersed soul-search (if it was really the soul). We almost forgot Mr. Whiskers is still here. 

"Sorry to interrupt your little connection but I need to pass through the door and take these bags inside." I almost let out a laugh. I turned to Ashton who is a bit still puzzled. I walked inside but he grabs my arm, stopping me. "Okay I'll leave you two. Good night Miss Parker, Mister Petterson." Mr. Whiskers said walking out of my room and into the elevator. He waved as he gets inside and I waved back. Oh that old man has been nice to me since I got here. 

I focused back my attention to Ashton who's looking at the floor. "Well I clearly don't know what to say to you so I have to say this at least. You really have a habit of just popping into my life whenever you want, huh?" I say. He sighed and looks up to me and took my hand. "I'm sorry about last night. I might have caused you too much burden. And I'm sorry about earlier. I really don't know what to do. And I'm sorry I barged in again to you. With real bags." He laughed feebly. 

"Can I – can I stay here for the night?" He ask. Maybe he just needs a shoulder to lean on like I had him during my emotional roller coaster over my friends. It's my turn to be a friend – his friend. Whatever that is he is carrying I'll help him get through it. I smiled at him. 

"Yes, sure. "

 "Thank you."

We entered the room and I went to the kitchen counter and placed her dinner in the microwave. I glanced at Ashton who's still standing at the back of the door. He scanned the room like he just finally had the chance to. "Uhm. You can use the other room but it's still a bit messy in there with my materials. I basically use it as my working room. I'll clean it out for you since I'm not expecting guest tonight." I say. Like I ever expect a male guest ever. Usually it's just my girlfriends filling my apartment just like their own. Neither of my parents has been here. No man has ever step foot in my place, well, except for... "It's fine. The couch is fine by me. I've probably caused you too much." Ashton said. He removed his jacket and his toned muscles seeps through his gray shirt. "And I'm sorry about Mr. Whiskers." He chuckled, looking at me. The timer ticked off and I took the beef steak out of the microwave oven. "What did you say to him?" I ask, understanding completely the underlying message. "More like what Eric said." "Oh yeah I remember. Nice trick." We both laughed. It feels like almost nothing has changed between us since our mini vacation. But then things are quite different now about him. "Have you eaten? I only have steak. Sorry I'm not much of a kitchen-person." "I'm fine Lily. And thanks for asking." He smiled at me with sincerity. "I'd like to volunteer cooking for breakfast." I smiled back trying to hide the feeling when my name escaped from his lips.

~

I was sketching for the new women's wear campaign which is due tomorrow thanks to the one and only witch – Miss Sanchez. After my disaster during the summer collection fashion show, she planned to torture me with workload. And that's how I end up still sketching at 1 in the morning. Ashton was already sleeping in the couch peacefully. I dismissed my pad for a while and made myself a coffee. Walking past my small living area, I glanced at the room beside mine then to Asthon. I turned on the coffee maker and studied Asthon. I wonder what really happened, not just about his apartment. The light of the coffee maker went off and I decided to work on my sketch at the kitchen counter. I really have a nice view in here than my white and mint green-striped walls. I can still here the cars honking outside at this late hour. But it soothes me unknowingly. Great. I really need this inspiration. I pull out my pad and pencil, flipping the page. I began to draw the outline of the head to the neck, then to the body, down to the legs.

"The advertising team has decided to portray a different angle about women. To show the real nature and character of women." I remember Miss Sanchez say. I start making curve lines and stroke shades around the sides of the skirt. A few hours later I felt my back twinge and my eyes so heavy.

How Not To Fall In Loveजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें