Twenty-five

I figured my morning couldn't get any more uncomfortable than it already had...I was wrong. Asher and Petroff arrived mid Jackson/Gabriel throw down in the living room. I believe the word "demon whore" had managed to leave Gabriel's mouth before there was a sharp knock on the front door.

The two men weren't at all what I expected. Gabriel had stated they were the living members of the council that resided at The Sanctuary, so imagine my surprised when two middle-aged men came strolling through the door. They couldn't be more older than late thirties, both dinning the same low cut military style hair cut. They looked more military than they did retired anything.

"Omera?" Asher extends an arm to me. One which I take hesitantly. "I've heard so much about you. It's a pleasure to finally meet you."

I give him a weak smile, trying to ignore the fact that Petroff is staring at me like he's seen a ghost. The way his grey eyes travel slowly down my body makes my skin crawl. Something is not right with this guy.

Gabriel leads us all into the living room, offering each man a cup of coffee. They accept kindly and I notice how on edge everyone seems to be. Jackson has maintained a safe distance from me and I realize it is because the orders to 'keep it strictly business' between us had more than likely come from one of these two.

"Now that I am here, I see what you were talking about Gabriel." Asher places the half full mug down, taking a seat on the couch. "The girl's power is quite overwhelming. Indecipherable to the senses too. Interesting. Care to show me these abilities Gabriel spoke of?"

Jackson nudges me forward, giving me a reassuring smile. I am still hesitant. Petroff is yet to speak and, quite frankly, it is giving me the creeps.

"Go ahead, show him," Jackson whispers, nudging me again.

I pull the electricity out easily and the room comes alive. I can feel everything in it. I detect the small twinge of strange power coming from Jackson, who is staring at me like a man seeing the sun for the first time. Max elbows him in the ribs and his gaze travels to the floor.

"It cannot be," Petroff gasps, his voice thick with German accent. He circles me, his intent stare sending warning shivers down my spine. "It is impossible."

"I thought so myself," Asher agrees. "The evidence is irrefutable. She is what was suspected."

My stomach drops. This was why they were here. Not to run tests. Not to check in on how the house was managing.

"What?" Gabriel inquires. "What is she?"

Petroff leaves the room, pulling a sleek black cellphone from his pocket. I hear the front door close as he begins to speak. I try to focus in on his words but he is speaking German. Asher takes a leather bound book from his brief case, flipping quickly through the pages. Tension fills the air.

"She is an angel," Petroff says, coming back into the house. His lips are pulled into a tight frown as he takes a seat next to Asher.

I gasp. "I'm a what?"

"You mean like a fallen angel?" Gabriel interrupts.

"No," Petroff disagrees. "Like a full blooded angel."

"That's not possible!" Gabriel is shouting now. Asher shoots him an authoritative look and Gabriel's tone begins to lower. "Sorry sir. How is this possible? There has been one recorded angel sighting in the entire history of all hunters. And that one was not even confirmed. There is no way she could be an angel and not know it."

"She could if her powers had been bound. Though is seems that Jackson has somehow managed to un-do most of the binding." Petroff reaches for his mug, taking a long sip of the steaming beverage.