Eighteen.

"When were you planning on telling me that you and Jackson were an item?" Daphne demands, cornering me as I turn the corner outside of the school. I had managed to avoid her, and Jackson, for the rest of the day and was almost certain I could make it home without running into her. I should have figured she hang out in the parking lot waiting for me. Daphne Matthews was not one to be ignored.

"We aren't an item," I argue. Daphne links her arm with mine, pulling me towards her car. I had been planning on walking to the cafe from school but now it appears my plans were going to change. I open the passenger door, slinking into the seat. I brace myself for the millions of questions I am sure she has planned for me.

"Didn't look that way to me," she says, throwing the car into drive and speeding out of the parking lot. Daphne drives like someone is chasing her and I am surprised we ever make it to our destinations in one piece. "You guys were looking pretty friendly in the hall earlier. Did you see Rebecca's face? I should have snapped a pic of that. I thought her head might actually pop off. Chelsey told me that Gwen told her that Rebecca told her that now Rebecca has some sort of vendetta against you. Not that it matters. If that skank lays one finger on you I will seriously end her. She seems to forget I still have those pics of her from last summers bonfire. You know, the one where she hooked up with that skeezy guy who works at the laundry mat? I swear Omera, tell me if she tries anything with you. Where was I? Oh yea, that kiss. Wooooow, that was insane. It was like a scene from a movie or something. One minute you were yelling at him and the next he just grabs you and kisses you. Right in front of everyone!!"

"Daphne!" I shout, cutting her off, "Calm down. One, Rebecca isn't going to do anything. She just likes to pretend like she has more power than she really does. But I appreciate the fact that you are willing to ruin her life for me. Two, Jackson and I aren't together. It was just a kiss. One kiss does not make someone a couple. He was just trying to shut me up. Or maybe he had a momentary lapse in judgement. Either way, we are not together and I don't think we are going to be. So can you please just let it go?"

"Fine," she huffs, pulling into the parking lot behind the cafe, "I will drop it, for now. And only because I don't want you doing what you always do and pushing away any guy that might actually be interested in you. No more keeping secrets though. Argue all you want but no guy goes from having a quick dinner with someone to macking down on them in the hallway. There's more to the story than you are telling me and I expect you to fill me in sooner rather than later. What time do you get off?"

"Seven," I answer, "I'll text you when I get home." I close the door, watching her speed off before entering the back door of the cafe.

Thursday nights are usually slow but today we are packed. Cameron throws my apron at me, ordering me to head out into the seating area and wipe down some tables. Apparently Juan, our usual busboy, has decided to quit for the fifth time this year, leaving us short staffed on an unusually busy night.

I weave my way in and out of the crowded area, stacking cups and empty bowls into the grey waste basket I carry with me. I am so focused on not spilling its contents that I almost run right smack into someone. The guy fumbles his hands around the basket, grabbing the tower of cups that is about to topple over onto the clean floor.

"Thanks," I say, looking up at my momentary hero. His eyes latch to mine and I feel my skin begin to tingle. There's something off about him. Something feels off and I try to move around him but he side steps, blocking my path. The tingling continues and I know if I don't get to the back of the store to calm myself down, things are going to get real bad real fast.

"No problem," he says. His voice is gritty, like nails on a chalkboard, causing my hairs to stand on edge. Yea, something was weird about this guy. "So, I haven't seen you around here before. Are you new?"