9. What Do You Want for Dinner?

They had settled into a nice system. Chance made Carmen promise she'd stay home for a week or two before going back out to talk to her old boss, and pick up some applications, so while he was at work, she tidied up, and walked around town, just taking in everything she had missed. The two had argued for over an hour because he wanted her to take a month before going back to work, or at least trying to get a job. They'd settled with up to two weeks. He didn't want her jumping back into normal life like that, while that was exactly what she wanted. Chance was also one of those men who didn't believe his woman she be working a full time job. Carmen also didn't agree with that, and had to remind him quite angrily that she wasn't his woman to begin with. That had shut him up fairly quickly, and left him highly upset. He'd stormed out of the house, and hadn't come back for hours, but eventually the two were able to compromise.

For now.

It was Wednesday, and Carmen was in the kitchen when Chance walked through the door at six thirty. He usually worked from eight to six, but on Monday he'd worked until eight, so she wasn't sure what time to expect him, and decided it best to start on dinner. That morning, when she had asked him what he wanted for dinner, he begged for beef stew, so, after he left and she'd cleaned up the little mess he'd made, she walked to the grocery store to gather what she'd need.

She could only be glad her father had pushed down on her how important savings and emergency funds were. She had enough in her savings to live off of normally, and over five rent payments in her emergency fund. This made life easier for Carmen because she refused to ask Chancellor for money. He was already doing so much for her.

She'd picked up some of his favorite snacks while she was out as well, along with hers. Chance snacked like no other, she'd learned that quickly, but with how much he worked, and how health conscious his main meals usually were, she didn't see anything wrong with it.

She was washing the beef tips she'd picked up when he walked into the house, and minutes later she was seasoning the meat when he walked over to her, wrapping one arm around her waist as he looked over what she was doing, "You just start cooking?"

"Your observation skills are impeccable, Chancellor," Carmen couldn't help the sarcasm that seeped into her voice, and accepted the kiss he pressed to her temple, even though it set her body on fire. Her eyes had slid closed for just a moment before Carmen caught herself.

Chance didn't seem to understand that since he had told Carmen she needed to keep her hands to herself, it was expected he do the same, but those kisses on the cheeks and temples were the way she had been greeted by him since the first time he'd visited her in jail, she knew it was a hard habit for him to break, and stopped bringing it up after Saturday night in the kitchen. He couldn't help it, so Carmen just had to behave herself. Easier said than done.

His long fingers tapped her hip twice before he chuckled and pulled away, "I'm gonna take a quick shower, and I'll be back out to keep ya company."

Carmen looked over her shoulder and took Chance in. He was wearing that same shirt he'd had on when he picked her up last Friday morning, and his hair was wild. The wind had been blowing like crazy all day, and it seemed he hadn't bothered to subdue his hair at all. Carmen had been making him wake up an hour early instead of fifteen minutes, so he'd had time to shave, but what caught her attention was how haggard he looked. His clothes were dirty, and he was sweaty. She knew his back might still be hurting, so there was pain to add to the bags under his eyes. Even still, he was still smiling.

Carmen winced, "No, you don't have to keep me company, take your time, and then relax. You look terrible."

"Gee, thanks, babe," He laughed, "I'll be out in ten."