“It’s alright everyone, you can continue talking.” Dr. Tomlinson chuckled, giving permission to the Hybrids to continue their conversations. We took a turn in the chamber and found a boy standing outside of the glass. As we walked up to the Hybrid, it turned around and looked at us, “Zayn, I want you to meet out first and most successful Hybrid known to date, Niall Horan.”

“Hi, Niall.” I said, extending my hand to shake its hand. Niall eyed my fingertips and scoffed, slapping my hand away in disgust. I shifted my weight and brought my hand back to my side, “Alright then… So, Dr. Tomlinson, what was it mixed with?”

“Mixed with?” Niall growled, “Did you just ask what I was mixed with?” This was the first time I heard his voice. He had an Irish dialect – the first time I’ve also seen an Irish Hybrid, “I wasn’t mixed with anything you fool. I was born, much like yourself. And for future reference, I’m not an it either, I’m a boy. Would you like me to prove myself?” Niall spat, already angry with me. I remained silent and he just let out a small laugh, “Pussy.”

“Now now, Niall, calm yourself. You’ll have to excuse Dr. Malik. He isn’t familiar with our old ways of cross generation, he was only brought on last year,” Dr. Tomlinson assured Niall, “Zayn, Niall here wasn’t created the way we create Hybrids now. He was physically born and we injected him with the DNA of a cheetah. He was the last successful Hybrid made from that method of cross species generation. But now we take a fertilized egg and mix it with the genetics of an animal.”

“I’m sorry, Niall.” I apologized, bowing my head in Niall’s direction, but he only rolled his eyes and waved me off. I swallowed the spit sitting in the back of my throat and told myself to relax. I was afraid of Niall, and I think both Niall and Dr. Tomlinson could tell. I began to feel anxious and scared that Niall may hurt me, but I wasn’t going to panic. Not after six months of no panics. Today wasn’t the day to panic, “So,” I choked out, “A cheetah? What characteristics do you have, Niall?”

“I’m fast.” Niall said, almost immediately after I asked my question. I nodded once and looked down at my feet, a sudden rush of awkwardness overflowing inside of me, “And I have sharp teeth.” Niall continued, biting down heavily. I only nodded once more.

“So, Zayn, the proposal I have for you. If you decide to accept it, which I hope you do, you will be given a generous raise along with a bonus.” Dr. Tomlinson spoke, “So, I am ready to release Niall into the world outside of this laboratory and I need a place for him to live.”

“You want me to let him live with me?” I spoke out, the fear apparent in my voice.

“Not only live with, but you’re going to have to fend for him, show him the basics we couldn’t show him in here, and help him grow as a person.” Dr. Tomlinson smiled at me, and then at Niall. I turned to face Niall; the expression on his face was unreadable.

“Well, ask Niall.” I said, dumping the decision onto the boy Hybrid. I saw him swallow as he looked at me. The blue in his eyes were scanning my body as if he was determining whether or not I was fit to have him live with me. He crossed his arms and I noted the flex in his biceps. His arms looked huge. This triggered my eyes to look down his body. He was wearing a tank top that sat above his washed out skinny jeans and a pair of white shoes – Supras – I believe. His frame was small, yet muscular. He seemed dainty, but powerful. This Hybrid, Niall, was hard to read.