Broken

I mentally prepared myself for what would be waiting at the other end of the locator spell. I clutched the wand in my hand as I stormed through the forest, following Peter's floating shirt. Emma struggled to keep up with me. The reality of what was about to happen hadn't really hit me yet. This was it. If I didn't save Peter now, I never would. If Maleficent didn't kill me now, then she probably had something far worse waiting. I wondered what Pan was thinking right now. He was all alone in his own mind. His deepest darkest regrets playing over and over again in his head. He must feel so alone. He didn't know I was coming for him, that I was capable of saving him. Nobody believed I really loved him. How could anyone love a monster?

"It's slowing down." Emma whispered. The floating shirt was moving slower now, approaching it's destination. After a few steps, it stopped altogether, dropping to the ground. Emma and I ducked under a cluster of bushes. I peeked over the edge. There he was. And there she was. Peter. He was lying on a slab of stone, his face more calm than I'd ever seen. Maleficent was pacing back and forth, looking lost in thought. She's panicking, she doesn't know what to do next. That explains why she's in the middle of the forest. I tightened my hold on the wand, and stepped out from behind the bushes.

"Waiting for someone?" I said. She whipped around to face me, throwing a fierce glare my way.

"You." She snarled. "You ruined everything." Her hand shot out, but I was too quick. I held up the wand, blocking the force of magic coming my way. She stared at it in shock.

"The black fairy's wand." She muttered, a little fear creeping into her voice.

"I ruined everything?" I said, anger welling up inside me. "I'm not the one who hunted down my boyfriend and put him under a sleeping curse." I raised the wand and sent a ball of swirling blue fire her way. She raised her arms and deflected it, but I could see that her clothes were singed.

"Oh, please." Maleficent hissed. "You don't love him. He's Peter Pan. He was meant to be alone. And now he is." I glanced over at Peter's sleeping body.

"Who are you to decide that for me? He may have killed your brother, but he took my whole family from me, imprisoned me on that island for over half a century. I have more reason to hate him than you do." She made a sound of frustration and hurled another ball of fire.

"Why do you have to side with him? We could have defeated him together." She said, a little more vulnerable. Emma was still crouched behind the bushes, waiting for her signal.

"I'm tired of fighting, Maleficent." I said with exhaustion. "How long has it been? Can't you just let it go?"

"No! He has to pay!" She shouted, raising both her arms. I was flung back, landing painfully on my elbows. That was the last straw. I jumped to my feet and outstretched the hand with the wand. Maleficent jerked back, her back hitting a tree.

"Now!" I shouted. Emma jumped out from her hiding place, sprinting towards Maleficent. In her disoriented state, Emma smeared the ink on her arm, and she was paralyzed. Maleficent's eyes darted around in panic.

"You can't do this." Maleficent said. I ignored her, walking towards Peter.

"Do you think things will be different? When you wake him up, if you can wake him up, he'll still be the same person as before." She snarled. I sat on the stone slab, looking down at his face.

"You're making a big mistake." She was getting desperate now. "No one could ever love him. He's a monster." I swept the hair from his face. I thought about how his mother abandoned him, and how his father had never loved him. The original Lost boy.

"He's not a monster. He's just...broken." I leaned down, and my lips met his. Electricity. That's the only way I could've described it. Warmth flooded back into his lips, and a wave of magic emanated from us, nearly knocking Emma off her feet. Peter breathed for the first time in days, and his eyes opened. I sighed in relief as his eyes met my face. He sat up, looking around. He looked at me suddenly, realizing what it took to wake him, realizing that I loved him. His eyes were wet as he wrapped his arms around me tightly, like he never wanted to let go. I hugged him back, burying my face in the crook of his neck. I could hear Maleficent shouting behind us, but I didn't care. We broke away, staring at each other. Emma cleared her throat awkwardly. We slipped off the block of stone and set our eyes on Maleficent.

"What are we going to do with her?" Emma asked. By the way Peter was looking at her, I knew he wanted her dead. I put a hand on his arm, averting his gaze to me. I shook my head.

"She's just a sad woman who lost her brother." I said quietly. He stared at me, thinking. After a moment, he nodded after throwing one last glare her way. I held up the wand, and our fingers intertwined as we both held it. We set our eyes on Maleficent, and pointed the wand at her. It pulsed with power under our fingertips, and a beam of brilliant light sot from Maleficent's body. The light was sucked into the wand, then Maleficent slumped against the tree, unconscious. We had absorbed all her powers. I lowered the wand, and Emma clamped a pair of handcuffs on her wrists. Peter and I looked at each other, and our hands gripped as if nothing could tear them apart.
➳➴➵➶➷➸➹
We walked down the streets of Storybrooke, Peter's hand still in mine. Maleficent had been dropped off at the jail, powerless and weak with defeat. Emma and Henry walked beside us. Something was different. As we walked down the street, people were bursting from their homes, running around frantically like they were searching for something. They would jump into each other's arms as if they were old friends reuniting. We all looked around with confusion. Mary Margaret, David, and Regina were suddenly running towards us. Peter's hand tightened in mine. Mary Margaret and David jumped on Emma, wrapping their arms around her. Regina hugged Henry while muttering his name.

"What's going on?" Peter asked. I looked around at the citizens of Storybrooke, who seemed to look as if they were seeing with new eyes.

"The curse." I whispered. "It's broken." Peter looked around with furrowed brows.

"How?" He said.

"True love's kiss. The curse was intended to destroy your happiness, so when I kissed you, it was broken." Peter looked at me, and snaked an arm around my waist. Mary Margaret and David were looking at us with confusion.

"It's alright, guys. He's okay." Emma reassured them.

"What is he doing here?" David said with a skeptical look at Peter.

"They saved us." Emma said. I leaned my head on Peter's shoulder.
➳➴➵➶➷➸➹
Everything went back to normal, for Storybrooke at least. Peter and I knew we couldn't stay there. Maybe we would go back to Neverland, or to the Enchanted Forest. It didn't really matter, as long as we were together. And it didn't really matter what we were doing. Peter taught me more about magic, and more about him. I knew things weren't going to be easy, nothing worth having is. He was still Peter Pan, but I was still Ava. We were both just two lonely, lost souls. Two people who's broken pieces fit together. And we were both willing to fix each other.

The End

Final A/N: Thank you all for reading and sticking with me through this story. Thank you for all the voting and the lovely comments. If you want more Peter Pan, I've just published a new fanfic called Heartless, which I think will be even better than this one. Thanks again and go check it out! ❤️❤️😘