Adults are Blind

After leaving Mr. Gold's shop, I made my way over to Regina's house. It was hard to miss. The biggest house on the block, painted white with neatly cut hedges. It was a gloomy day, so the ground was wet with rain. I crossed over to the front porch, and knocked on the door. Regina answered it, with the same slightly irritated face she always had. Her face changed somewhat when she saw me.

"Ava." She said with an attempt at a smile. "You must be here for Henry. I'll go get him." She said, turning to go back in the house. I waited on the porch, thinking hard. If I wanted to find out what was going on here, Henry was my next link to pursue. A few seconds later, Henry came out the door.

"Hi Ava." He said nicely. I tried to smile, but it came out nervous and crooked. Henry noticed and flinched a little.

"Come on, let's go." I said, walking back toward the street. Henry followed. We walked in silence to the docks. The sky threatened rain, gray and ominous. Just like my mood. When we reached the docks, we both stood there awkwardly.

"I'd like to talk to you." I said after a while. Henry looked at me skeptically.

"About what?" He asked. I paused.

"I've noticed that a lot of strange things are happening around here." I began. I studied Henry. He looked thoughtful.

"Would you know anything about that?" I said suspiciously. Henry's eyes flicked down to my belt.

"You've started carrying your sword again." He said mischievously. My hand went immediately to my sword handle.

"When did you stop feeling safe here?" He asked, cocking his head to one side. I narrowed my eyes. I've never felt safe here, I thought. Henry smirked darkly. I knew that smirk all to well. I drew my blade in one swift motion and pointed it at him.

"I knew it was you, Pan." I hissed. His smirk grew wider. Henr-Pan raised one eyebrow in amusement, completely ignoring the blade at his throat.

"Admit it, Ava." He said, his voice becoming slick and low. "You knew it was me from the moment we arrived here. You just didn't want to believe it." My brows furrowed.

"You wanted to believe that you were truly safe, but as we both know, Peter Pan never fails." He said menacingly.

"Then you're in for one hell of a shock." I said, pushing the blade further into his skin. He laughed.

"Oh, Ava. I'm already, and always will be, ten steps ahead of you." He said. I narrowed my eyes. Pan opened his mouth, and screamed. It was so loud it echoed throughout the entire town. In a matter of seconds, people were looking in our direction. Emma, David, Regina and Mary Margaret were suddenly racing towards us. I was so shocked by Henry's-err-Pan's screams that I was frozen with my blade still against his throat. Everyone looked at me with accusing eyes. I knew how this looked. Me pointing a blade at Emma's and Regina's son, and David and Mary Margaret's grandson. If you haven't already guessed how bad this was, then let me tell you. It was bad. After they had just gotten Henry back from Neverland, they were even more protective over him. I looked over at Pan, who was faking a look of fear. I instantly dropped my sword. I stuttered on my own words, trying desperately to explain.

"Ava just attacked me! I don't know what's gotten into her!" Pan said with an innocent voice. David wrapped his hand around my arm. He took the weapon from off the ground. He took the handcuffs from his belt and secured them around my wrists.

"Come with me, Ava." David said. He dragged me away from everyone, while I stuttered and watched helplessly. Pan was smirking at me behind everyone's backs. If only they would turn around and see what was happening right under their noses.
➳➴➵➶➷➸➹
The cell door slammed shut. The jail cell was painted an ugly teal green, and consisted of nothing but a cot with dull gray sheets. I gripped the bars.

"You have to believe me." I began. David, Emma, and Mary Margaret were standing with their arms crossed.

"Haven't you noticed that Henry's been acting strange? Weird things have been happening and you refuse to see it! You can't live conflict free for the rest of your lives!" I shouted. The only person I seemed to be getting through to was Emma. She was looking at the floor, thinking hard.

"Look, Ava." David began. "You lived on Neverland for most of your life, and with Pan constantly looking over your shoulder. I can understand why you would feel paranoid, but I can assure you nothing is wrong with Henry." I growled in frustration.

"Adults really are blind." I said, glaring at them. After many failed accusations of Henry from me, and a few promises that they would make an appointment for me with Dr. Hopper when all this blows over, they left me alone. Well, David and Mary Margaret left me alone. Emma stayed behind. She walked up to the bars of the cell. She looked me right in the eye.

"I don't like doing this Ava, trust me. But I have to keep Henry safe, even if he's been acting really weird lately." She explained. With a little apologetic smile from her, she left. I plopped down on the small cot, running my hands through my hair. I felt like crying in frustration but no tears came. Ten steps ahead. What will his next move be?

"Hello Ava." A sly voice purred. I whipped my head around and saw Henry standing outside my cell, I reminded myself that it was Pan. It was strange seeing Pan's trademark smirk on Henry's face. I jumped to my feet.

"What do you want now?" I snapped. He stepped forward and leaned on the bars. He whistled.

"You are so lucky you have these bars to hide behind." He smirked for the millionth time. I swear I was going to knock his teeth out one day.

"But you won't be able to hide forever." He said.

"I'm not afraid of you, Pan." I said. It was a lie.

"Sometimes the people we should fear the most are the ones closest to us." He said, suddenly serious. I paused, processing his words.

"Who said that you were close to me?" I accused. Pan clutched at the bars.

"I know you better than anyone on this earth." He said. I flinched, because he was right. But hey, maybe that's because the only living family member I have has no idea that I exist. Pan took a step back and looked me up and down.

"Why did you get me arrested?" I asked, genuinely curious.

"I needed you out of the way while I execute the next stage." He said. I looked down, frantically searching my mind for what the "next stage" might be. Pan smiled.

"Ahh, I see the wheels in that pretty little head turning. Don't bother, love. What I have planned cannot be avoided. I'll be back for you when the next stage is complete." He said, then disappeared in a cloud of smoke.

Hehehe the next chapter will be very interesting. *evil smile* Vote and comment!! :D