Cursed, Abducted, Gone

Maleficent's wicked laughter echoed off the cave walls. I stared numbly at Peter's body. His eyes were closed, his face peaceful. Even though I knew what he was feeling was anything but peaceful. The cage disappeared, there was no need for it now. I barely noticed as my heart was shoved back in my chest, no longer any use to Maleficent. I ran to him, dropping to my knees and putting his head in my lap. I ran my hands through his hair and stroked his face, muttering his name. Maleficent cackled at my huddled form.

"Never thought I'd see this." She said smugly.

"You, and him." She said it like it offended her. "A year ago you would've been happy to see him like this." My eyes were focused on Peter's face. A year ago, he was Pan. Now he was Peter. Under my hands, the warmth was beginning to leave the skin of his cheeks. His chest ceased to rise and fall, and he looked like a corpse. He had been ripped from me. I accepted him, I wanted him. And then he was taken from me. Like giving a child a new toy just to snatch it out of their hands. The anger boiled inside me, and I turned to look at Maleficent. She was still basking in the glory of her triumph, her head thrown back in laughter. My tear-pooled eyes filled with rage, my hands clenching into fists. I rose to my feet. Maleficent wasn't even paying attention to me, cackling like a madwoman. Without warning, I thrust my hand out and Maleficent slammed against the rock wall, her feet disconnecting from the ground. The impact knocked the breath out of her, and she gasped as her wide eyes landed on me. She hadn't expected that. My hand curled, and the invisible hand clamped around her throat. She clawed at her neck, choking and gasping while her eyes filled with fear.

"I guess you taught me too well." I growled, tightening my hold.

"Ava?" I turned towards the voice, and Emma stood in the entryway. Her eyes scanned Maleficent, still hanging in the air, and Peter's motionless body. Maleficent saw her chance. My magic was severed, and she fell to the ground. The rage in her eyes matched mine, and the last thing I saw was her arm sweeping through the air before I flew across the room and my head cracked against the stone.
➳➴➵➶➷➸➹
My eyes opened. Peter's apartment. Peter's couch. Emma was by my side in an instant.

"How do you feel?" She asked, her hand resting on my forehead. I groaned as I sat up.

"Peachy-keen." I retorted. Henry was in the bathroom, I could tell by the light under the door. I looked around my hand held up to my head.

"Where is he?" I demanded. Emma gave me a pity look.

"He's gone. He disappeared with Maleficent." Her words felt like a sledgehammer smacking into an already existing wound. I knew he was gone, I knew that the second he bit into that apple. But hearing it from her made it even more real. Now Maleficent didn't want to be found.

"Where would she go?" I thought aloud, looking up at Emma. She furrowed her brows in confusion.

"Wait, you're not seriously suggesting we go after him?" She said unbelievingly.

"Yes, that's exactly what I'm suggesting." I said.

"Ava, come on. He's gone." Emma said. I banged my fist on the arm of the couch.

"No! He's not gone! He's just under a sleeping curse." I snapped.

"What's the difference! There's nothing that can save him!" She said. I looked at her. Her face changed.

"Unless..." She trailed off. I stared at her, unable to force the words out of my mouth.

"Oh, no..." She said like she was disappointed. She sank down on the couch next to me.

"No, no, no, no." She muttered. I stared at the floor. "Ava," There was a pause.

"Him?" She said unbelievingly. "The Peter Pan? The one who drove your family away and kept you prisoner on Neverland all those years?"

"I know, I know. But you have to understand something." I began, turning towards her.

"He's not who you think he is. He's not all Pan. He's Peter too." My eyes begged her to understand. "He's showed kindness, vulnerability. I know he cares about me." Emma was still looking at me skeptically.

"I don't expect you to understand, or to accept it. But this is what I choose. I choose him." There was a pause, and then Emma smiled weakly.

"Then let's go find him." She said. My face stretched into a smile.
➳➴➵➶➷➸➹
"This isn't going to be easy." Emma said as we walked down the street.

"She isn't going to be waiting for us in some cave this time." I racked my brain as we paced down the sidewalk towards Mr. Gold's pawn shop.

"You really think we'll find something here?" Emma asked, opening the door for me. The bell chimed, and Mr. Gold turned to face us from behind the counter.

"Hello ladies. What can I help you with?" He asked. Emma and I looked at each other and nodded once. Emma crossed over to the corner of the room and began asking about an ancient looking book. Mr. Gold turned his back, going into a in-depth description of the relic. I slipped past the curtain into the back room. It was crowded with stuff, and I realized how hard this was going to be. I began to shuffle through the old books and trinkets, looking for something useful. I crossed over to the large cupboard against the wall and opened the carved wooden doors. It was empty. I narrowed my eyes in confusion. The last time I looked in this cupboard, before the curse, it was full. I closed the doors, placing my palms on the wood. I focused on seeing the unseen, letting it surface as if from murky water. I felt a faint tingle run through my skin. I opened the cupboard doors, and it was full again. I smiled, my eyes scanning the shelves. Near the back of the cupboard, I found something. It was a small vial of dark liquid, and I recognized it instantly. I shoved it in my pocket. There was an old book on the top shelf, a spell book, and I zipped it into my jacket. Just as I was about to close the cupboard, my eyes landed on something I never expected to see.

"No way..." I mumbled, reaching for it. A twisted black wand that thrummed power when you held it. The black fairy's wand. I had read about it. It was one of the most powerful talismans in the world of magic. I had no idea how Mr. Gold had it, but it didn't matter. I slipped it in my jacket and snuck back into the main room. Emma was still distracting Mr. Gold, and he hadn't even noticed that I'd left. I threw Emma a glance and she followed me out of the shop.
➳➴➵➶➷➸➹
"So, what is it again?" Emma asked. The spell book, vial of ink, and the wand were laid out on the table.

"It's one of the most powerful wands ever wielded." I explained.

"And you just found it laying around in Gold's shop?" She said.

"It was in a cupboard that had a cloaking spell over it, but I got through it. It's not like Gold knew it was there." I replied, opening the spell book. Emma leaned over my shoulder.

"What are we looking for?" She asked, scanning the pages.

"A locator spell." I said, flipping through the book.

"Ah, here it is." I said, pointing to the page. Emma raised an eyebrow.

"You can do spells?" She asked.

"Yes, Maleficent taught me. A stupid move on her part." I said, raising my hands. I had grabbed one of Peter's shirts and it was laid out next to the spell book. I closed my eyes, waved my hands over the shirt, and mumbled a few words. The shirt glowed weakly, and then floated in the air. It started to move towards the open door. I chased after it, Emma following behind me.

"So, what do we do when we find her?" Emma asked.

"Use the squid ink, the wand if necessary. Save Peter." I said simply, quickening my pace as the shirt flew towards the forest. My strides were determined as we charged into the forest, the wand clenched in my hand. Emma came to walk beside me.

"You sure about this?" She asked. I kept my eyes ahead. "If this doesn't work, Maleficent will most likely kill you. She won't hesitate." What if it didn't work? Did I really love him? Was I strong enough to face Maleficent. What happens after this? I took a deep breath.

"I'm sure." I replied.