Chapter 32: To Float or Not To Float

Claire's POV

Recap

Then Henry looked at me with such a pained expression in his eyes, like he had just lost something that meant the world to him.

"Because, he'll be here in the next two days." Henry said darkly. I placed my hand on his arm lightly, "why does this upset you."

"Because.." He looked deeply into my eyes, like he was trying to tell me something, but for the life of me I couldn't figure it out. "...It means I lost"

With that, he broke eye contact and turned around, heading back the way we came, leaving me to trail slowly after him, deep in thought about what had just happened and what was about to happen.

***********************************
As I walk back to the house, I try to sort out my feelings. There are a lot of things going on in my life right now, it feels as though the world is spinning at super speed, and I really wish it would just stop.

As I'm walking I begin to notice a few children playing around a very tall, and very thick tree. It takes a while for my brain to understand what I'm seeing, but once it did, I wasn't able to hold back the screech that was released from my lips.

I ran towards them, my face panicked, and my arms flailing around. I know I looked crazy, but if you had seen a bunch of little kids staring up a gigantic tree, saying "hold on!" and "just a little longer, and "try to float down!" You would look just as crazy as I did... so don't you dare laugh.

"Oh my goodness, oh my goodness, oh my goodness" I mumble under my breath, when I catch sight of a boy, dangling from a very high tree branch. How in the world did he even get up there, does he not fear death? Goodness! the world today, birthing Hamlet's left and right.

When the children see me running towards them, instead of showing any signs of relief they started screaming! This did wonders for my self-esteem.

"It's the witch!!!" one of the girls said, looking completely terrified, but I couldn't spare the time to calm her down, or any of the other kids who looked like the were about to make a mess of themselves. I had to focus on the boy who was literally seconds from being a heap of broken bones.

"Kid!?" I yelled, when I had made it to the base of the tree.

"Are you okay, up there?" His shoulders seemed to relax in relief after hearing my voice, and this caused the branch to crack a little, which invoked a scream from each of the children, who were now watching to see how this all played out.

"I'm scared" the boy whimpered.

I was a little scared too, but I knew without a doubt, that the tree would listen to my command, I just hoped it would listen fast enough.

"I'm going to get you down, just try not to move too much" I yelled up to him, placing my hand on the tree gently but with purpose. I closed my eyes, blocking out the rest of the world, and concentrating solely on the beautiful tree. As the connection snapped into place, I was filled with a sudden euphoric feeling. I felt full with life, I felt invincible, I felt like I could do the impossible.
"It must be the tree's life force connecting with mine." I thought to myself, deciding then that I would explore this connection later.
It was definitely a heady feeling, but I couldn't allow myself to dwell on it, I had to save the boy.

I visualized the tree in my mind, and saw the broken branch that the kid was hanging onto. I sent power to the branch, urging it to heal and become stronger than before.

"The tree! It's fixing itself" said a voice that sounded close yet far at the same time.

"Right, the children!"