chapter twenty two

Chapter twenty two

On the way home I decided to pass by Toni’s house. Fortunately, She was around and as hyper as she could ever be and that was a lot of hyper to me. When I asked why she told me that she was going on a date with prince charming who so happened to be Alexander.

“Good for you” I said but I sounded a bit down.

She raised her eyebrows leading us up to her room but I just shrugged with no other explanation. “By the way Jace was not very happy that you dumped him last night.” She said after closing her door and sitting down in her bed.

“Dumped him?” I had not forgotten that I owed Jace an apology for leaving him hanging, though truth be told to anyone who would listen, it was Preston who owed him the apology. After all he was the one who sort of well, kidnapped me in the beginning.

“At least that was what he said.” She said. “What happened?” she added the question sounding eager to know what had happened last night.

“You really wanna know?”

“Yeah...I’m sure it’s going to interesting and something involving Preston.”I shook my head slightly. “Are you denying that what you are about to tell me does not have anything to do with your Preston?”

“Since when did he become mine?”

“Since the very first day he saw you.” She answered but the weight of her answer was more than she knew at the moment. My lips curved slightly forming a faint smile that carried a lot.

“You are nuts” I said.

“Yeah right...so tell me then why did you dump my brother last night?”

I breathed in for a moment and went to stand leaning against her window. “Preston...”I started. Her slight smile turned into an approval grin. “Well he...” and I went on to tell her what happened but not bothering to go in full details.

“Well...I wish someone could do that to me.”

“Kidnap you?” I asked astonished.

“No...Listen Preston did not kidnap you. He...” she stopped for a second as if searching for the right words to say. “Well we just have to say he was trying to protect what is his.”

I raised a brow. “Are you suggesting that I’m his too?”

“I once told you, every person has one person in his or her lifetime that will change him and you and Preston change each other...for the better.” If she was only werewolf then she would have known that what she was saying did happen in their society.

“We have not changed each other at all. I’m still me and he is still his old self.” I said but even as I did so I knew it was a lie.

Everything that Toni had just said was the truth. I shook my head slightly. I had not come here to talk more about Preston or me for that matter.  It was just best to leave now, I thought. “Is Jace around?” I asked to deflect from our earlier topic.

She looked at me. “I guess. I’m not sure though...the guy is always somewhere...” then without warning she yelled out his name and right after what seemed like a full five seconds her door opened. Then Jace was standing there and having not noticed me he sort of glared at his younger sister. “How many times do I have to tell you not to yell my name like that Peyton?”

She threw him a smile that clearly got him a bit confused. I’m sure he expected her to reply with an inch of sarcasm. “You have a guest.’ She said finally.

He turned to where she had pointed and our eyes met. I could see the edges of disappointment on his face as he looked at me for a second. “Hi” I said hoping he was not mad enough about last night.