chapter thirty two: fiercely loyal

Fiercely loyal

Embracing darkness represents not being afraid. The dark is always associated with bad things around the community. It is the dark that fiercely represents evilness and wickedness and all things opposite to goodness.

Being able to embrace it means a whole lot of things but for me at this specific moment in my life I was fiercely loyal to the light.

My eyes struggled to open against the darkness that was the centre of all. It took a couple of times before I was finally able to open my eyes. It was difficult for my eyes to adjust to the light but after a few more seconds I managed.

I could sense there were people in the room. They were whispering for some reason.

I knew directly that I was in a hospital and the distinct smell hitting my nostrils with a glare.

I tried moving. It was then that I caught the attention of the people in the room. I heard Preston before I saw him. It was almost instant, his voice ordered the rest to get out of the room and then he was in front of me, helping me up on the bed. I hugged him at the time I was finally comfortable enough.

We remained silent.

He placed a kiss on my forehead before looking at me. I could see the relief that coursed in his eyes. “You had me worried there, angel. I thought you’d never...”

I quickly kept a finger on his lips to shush him up. I did not want to know what had gone through his mind when I was unconscious. “How long have I been out?” I inquired as I looked around the room to see different flowers and cards which in my mind told me I had been here for a while.

He breathed before he answered me, “five days and” he looked at his watch, “five days and three hours.”

Five days?

“What is wrong with me?”

“Nothing the doctors or your father could explain,” he said and I couldn’t help but hear the worry sip in his lovely voice.

“But...” I started before I stopped myself.

“What Abby? You have something you want to tell me?” he asked.

I shook my head. “It’s not really important but before I fainted or whatever it is that happened I felt a sharp pain in my back. The pain is a reoccurring thing. It had happened before.”

He shook his head in slight confusion but it was gone before I could register it in my head. “Don’t worry now that you are awake we’ll figure out what’s wrong with you okay?” I nodded knowing I believed every word.

Spending five good days at the hospital in what had been considered to a comatose state meant I missed a couple of things, important things that had been going on. I moved back a bit form him, he raised his eyebrows in question.

“How’s everything?” I started. “You know...” I gestured around.

He breathed in.

I hoped it was all good news.

All of it.

“Fine Abby, I don’t want you worrying about anything.” He spoke in a low whisper that immediately I sensed he was keeping something from me.

“What are you not telling me Preston?”

He smiled when he heard his name from my lips. I wondered why he did that.

He raked his hand in his hair, “nothing Abby. All is well.”

I narrowed my eyes at him.

“Britney woke up she is fine now and it looks like things are going well between her and her mate.” He said referring to Ivan his closest friend. “Ivan is well too. They all were discharged.” He looked at me now. “Nate...well that...” I could see he was holding back an insult which confused me somehow. “He left.”