chapter eighteen

• Dedicado a Domitilla Damas

Chapter eighteen

The silence in the car was killing me. I wanted him to say anything but he did not. Fifteen minutes later he turned on the radio which clearly cut the silence but then there was no good music so he went back to turning the thing off.

The silence came back but this time I just ignored the silence and continued my vigil of looking outside.

There are few things in life that I could never understand and right at this moment I questioned myself on the whole mate issue. Why did your mate have to be pre-destined for you? Couldn’t it be simpler if by chance you were the one to choose a mate and be together forever? Where was the free will in this?

The answer was simple. There was no free will...you had to love that one person planned for you by the mysterious fate.

It seemed unfair and fair at the same time.

I glanced at Preston once in a while hoping he wouldn’t notice and he didn’t. Why had fate chosen him for me? If fate was this big thing that I wouldn’t fathom shouldn’t it have considered my well being? My hatred for his species?

Well...somewhere inside of me I knew that fate knew what it was doing.

The drive was long and it seemed like forever to wherever he was taking me. The city lights were on and it was getting darker with every second passing.  We didn’t talk at all...the whole ride. We stopped at what looked like a beach house.

He looked at me with a lopsided grin that seemed to make me lose concentration for a second. He looked like he could charm a snake with that smile. He only needed to add a pinch of charm. “Where are we or aren’t you going to tell me?”

“This is Ivan’s parent’s beach house.”

“And why are we here?”

He got out of the car and opened the door for me. If he was any other guy I would have thanked him for being such a gentleman but this was Preston and he was not on my top list to thank tonight as he had really gone overboard with this...

The beach house looked deserted but I could see that it was beautiful. The two storey house had a certain pull to it that made me think that if tonight had not started the way it had then I would have stopped and really appreciated its beauty.

He pulled me to his side and I tried to get away from him which was impossible. I glared at him and he only smiled at me. “Just stop being feisty Abby then you are going to enjoy this night.”

“That’s why you brought me here?”

“Trust me...a bigger feeling brought me here to spend this night with you.” We started walking towards the house.

“A bigger feeling?” I sighed. “Yeah right.” I said but I couldn’t stop my heart form hammering as we stepped on the porch and he moved so he could open the door for me.

Reluctantly I entered and he followed. This was not how I envisioned this night to be...oh...I rolled my eyes. What this night was missing was a storm because that’s the only thing I didn’t envision for it too. A freaking uncontrollable storm that would make us stay the night...As soon as the thought popped into my head I closed my eyes and hoped that would never happen.

I bit my lip as we walked into the house further. It was a bit dark and the only source of light was coming from the outside lights. A second later the lights came on inside.

The house was amazing and the furniture was awesome. For a beach house this was perfection right here.

As I threw my gaze around the house staring at the surroundings I failed to notice that Preston was staring at me the whole time. When I did he smiled. “You are very beautiful Abby.”