Chapter 19: Paps & Popcorn

Start from the beginning

"Wow." I blinked, glancing at Niall. We were both clearly shocked that we were actually an inspiration to someone else regarding their love lives. "That means a lot. Thank you so much. I wish you and your girlfriend the very best of luck."

Her smile strengthened as we sent her a reassuring nod, then turned and headed for our theatre. A chilling breeze slithered throughout my body. There was something about getting such amazing compliments like that that makes you feel like you have a purpose. It felt good to be called an inspiration rather than a fag.

***

"I am never, ever watching that movie ever again."

Niall laughed loudly as the credits rolled up from the bottom of the screen, then disappeared at the top. My face was still hidden behind my hands and my body was shaking like it was freezing outside.

"You screamed like a girl every two minutes!" Niall blubbered out over his loud laughter, causing me to chuckle even if I was still scared out of my mind. We were waiting for everyone else to leave the theatre before we made our escape.

I gently punched Niall's shoulder, momentarily revealing my face in the dark theatre. "How are you not scared of this stuff?"

"Oh come on, it wasn't even scary. You're just a big baby," he teased while a sly smile appeared on his face. It was hard to tell in the dark, but I could see it. His smile was recognizable from anywhere.

"Excuse you!" I mock-gasped. "The Conjuring is supposed to be the scariest movie out this year. Hell yes it was scary."

Niall suddenly stood up, taking my forearm and pulling me up with him. His arms went behind his head as he stretched himself out, making his shirt rise to just underneath his belly button. The band of his boxers became visible. I knew Niall caught me staring accidently, but he didn't say anything to acknowledge it.

"I think we're good. Ready to go home?"

I quickly side stepped, stopping Niall from leaving our row. "Um actually... I was thinking, did you maybe want to grad something to eat from somewhere like Olive Garden or Panera before we go home?"

Niall leaned his head to the side in a confused manor, urging me to go on.

"I mean, not like a date, but -"

"Harry," Niall chuckled, putting a hand on my shoulder. "It kind of has to be a date. It's okay, I'm in the mood for Panera anyway. Let's go, Paul's waiting."

He smiled at me, so I returned it. I turned around and led both of us down the isle, down the few stairs to get back to ground level, then out of the theatre. We came into the lobby, tossing away our empty candy wrappers and cups of soda. I looked up at our destination, the front doors, then grumbled a few curses under my breath.

Paps. And they were everywhere.

"Let's put on a good show, eh?"

I looked over at Niall. His bright blue eyes were trained on the paparazzi waiting outside for us, but his hand was held out in front of me. I took a deep breath and reluctantly took his hand in mine, remebering Jean's words and interlocking our fingers.

Niall and I made our way over to the doors, where Paul and Preston were pushing back paparazzi and telling them that they could take pictures all they want, but to stay a certain amount of feet away.

Paul placed his hand on my back and led me towards the van which thankfully was only a few yards away. Preston took his position behind us and made sure he stayed between us and the greedy old men.

"Niall, Harry! Do you feel like you've lied to your fans?"

"Are you aware of the gay rights issues going on right now?"

"You two look great together!"

"Where are you going now?"

"You're nothing but faggots, all five of you!"

***

"Stop over thinking this Harry. All they want is a story and pictures, they try to get under your skin," Niall told me, sipping his soda from Panera. "Don't let those idiots effect you."

I shook my head while ripping a piece of my bread and dipping into my soup. "Faggot. They called us faggots, Niall, and you don't even care?"

"Of course I care." Niall sighed, laying his head in his hand.

I looked up at him, our eyes locking in a tight embrace. Neither of us could look away even if we tried. "Then why didn't you say anything to him? Why did you let that dickhead call you such a rude thing?"

"Because," Niall shrugged. "I know that our fans don't think that and I know that I still have my best mates, my friends, my family, and most importantly, you, to lean on. I know that there's more people here for us rather than against us and I know for sure that that his stupid opinion doesn't matter."

"But Niall -"

"No buts!" He snapped, giving me a serious look. Niall's hand crept across the table and landed on mine. His thumb rubbed over my knuckles, trying to soothe my nerves. I found myself shivering, his touch becomming the best thing I had felt in a long time. "Listen, Harry. Other people's opinions of us don't mean shit as long as we have each other."

I thought over his words, deciding that he was right. So what if one bitter old douche called us fags. That's his one opinion against every one else's.

"I don't know how much this means to you, Harry, but I actually love you so much, okay? Seeing you upset kills me inside. But I want you to know that no matter what, you will not be what other people define you as. You are not Harry Styles, the world famous pop star who everyone thought was a womanizer turned into an open gay. You are Harry, my best friend and the most supportive, understanding, most amazing person I know."

I smiled shyly at him, the pad of his thumb still grazing over the back of my hand. "Niall?"

"Yeah?"

"You're amazing. I'm glad I'm 'dating' you and not any of the others. They don't get me like you do," I told him honestly.

Niall grinned, taking his hand back to dig into his yummy food. My hand went cold without his touch and I frowned at the lack of contact. I wanted him to touch me again, I wanted to be with him. And I don't know why.

"They don't get me like you do. They don't know about us."

/-/-/-/

does this suck? ugh. i feel like this is crappy.

ah well, tell me your honest opinions pleeeaaassseeee.

DID I TELL YOU ABOUT MY CINCERT OSMD IT WAS THE SECOND BEST NIGHT OF MY LIFE HARRY LIAM AND NIALL NOTICED ME AND MY BEST FRIEND AND OMFGG I CANT EVEN AND GUESS WHAT MY BIRFFDAY IS IN 25 DAYS WOOOOO but school starts in 24 days so boo /:

whatya think of this? comment paaaals.

- mads x

© iLoveThe1D