02 :: Birthdays

It was the day of Ellie's birthday and Taehyung was frantic, trying to get her gift wrapped, himself clean and crisp clothes and him going to the venue early to help Ellie's family set up everything.

I was still lazing around in our rented apartment, trying to calm my racing heart when Taehyung came out of his room with nothing but a pair of jeans on. Sure, he did not work out much, but the faint lines of muscles on his arms, chest and stomach were still attractive.

"Hoseok hyung, hurry up and change. I've gotta be there in fifteen minutes,"

I nodded and got up from the sofa. As I passed by Taehyung, I tried my best to restrain myself from staring at him. After all, he was my best friend. Plus, he has a girlfriend, which proves he is into girls so I don't think I would even have a chance with him.

Opening my closet as I got into my room, I took out a long-sleeved midnight blue button-up and a pair of black jeans and got changed. Grabbing a pair of blue Nikes, I slid my phone into my pocket and left my room.

Outside, Taehyung had put on a white button-up and had on his black Converse, waiting for me. When he saw that I was ready, he grabbed his car keys and together we left the apartment.

"Do you even know where you're going, Taehyung?"

"Yeah. I'm just using a shortcut since we're behind schedule. Relax, Hoseok hyung, I know what I'm doing,"

I nodded and turned my head to look out the window. It was almost 5.30 in the evening and the sun was beginning to set. The warm orange and red colours in the sky were soothing and I caught myself staring at the clouds in the sky all the way till Taehyung parking his car in the driveway of John's Diner.

We got out of the car and entered the diner. The exterior looked normal, like nothing was going on. But the interior was grand. It was a complete change from the diner's usual greasy kitchen and unorganised tables and chairs. The decorations were halfway up and there were a few gaming machine propped up against a wall.

"Woah, John. The place looks amazing!"

I complimented the owner of the diner and our host for the night, John, who was welcoming us. When Taehyung and I first arrived London, we were awkward around everyone. We asked where we could find homemade healthy food and everyone suggested John's Diner. After going there for a couple times, we became familiar with John and became friends.

"Thanks, Hoseok. By the way, happy birthday. Your gift is in the back, I'll get it for you when this ends,"

I blushed at John remembering my birthday. It wasn't long since we were friends, but having one person remember was enough. But it hurt though, that someone who I had met no longer remembered my birthday but my best friend had forgotten. Of course, I thought, he's been so busy with Ellie that he could even forget his own birthday.

"Thanks, John. You didn't really have to get me anything though,"

I smiled and shook his hand before wandering off to see if Taehyung needed help. After all, Ellie was an acquaintance and a sort of friend. Besides, watching Taehyung smile and be happy was all that I need.

"Hoseok! It's so good to see you again!"

I turned my head to see Ellie's mom, Mrs. Grey smiling at me. She crossed the room and gave me a hug, literally squeezing the daylights out of me. I knew Mrs. Grey when we first moved to London and I applied for the dance department of our new school. She was the head of the department and a very sweet woman. She and I were closer than me and Ellie.

"Happy birthday, dear. Don't think I forgot about it. Here's your present, open it when you get home, okay?"

She winked and passed me a small envelope. I smiled and thanked her. Sure, two strangers in my life remembered my birthday, I was happy. But I would be even more happy if someone else close to me would have remembered it.

I slid the small envelope into the back pocket of my jeans and continued to help out with the preparations of Ellie's birthday.

"Happy birthday to you. Happy birthday to you. Happy birthday dear Ellie. Happy birthday to you,"

As Ellie blew out the candles, Taehyung gave her a kiss on the forehead and I watched as he muttered something to her that made her smack his arm and giggle. My heart clenched. I wanted to be Ellie, to be Taehyung's. But I guess what we always want is what we will always have, right?

The party was blowing into full session. So far, I was sitting in the corner of the diner, scrolling my phone. Ellie and Taehyung were on the dance floor and it was heart-breaking to watch Taehyung leading Ellie to dance. He had his hands on her waist and hers around his neck. They had their foreheads together and were gazing into one another's eyes. They were leaning in, so close that their lips were about to touch.

At that moment, I looked away. I couldn't bear it another second. I've gotta leave this place. And I did. I hailed a cab and went back to our apartment, tears falling as I entered.

"So much for a happy birthday,"