Chapter 23

It took me a moment to realise what Grace was meaning, but as soon as I clicked on I felt a weird tingling sensation run down my spine.

"Kayo!" I shouted. "KAYO!"

"What's a matter?" She asked as she returned to me, fear struck her face.

"We need to get out of here." I spoke, she simply stared at me in confusion. "It's a trap."

"What do you mean?" She asked.

"Grace has just said something about The Hood. He obviously created this to catch us here, or create a diversion." I responded.

"Oh my God." She spoke, obviously realising where I was coming from. She looked at her communicator, which was similar to the watch I wear, before speaking into it. "We need to get out of here. Can you pick Daisy and this little girl up and then get out of here as soon as possible."

"Why? What's happened?" Gordon's voice spoke.

"This is all a trap." Kayo spoke. "The Hood's behind this whole operation, so it's either us or those back on Tracy Island that are unsafe."

"How do you know?" Alan's voice sounded then.

"Well, it is a bit strange isn't it, how there's a catastrophe and the GDF hasn't done much about it?" Kayo asked.

"You obviously don't know the GDF!" This time it was Virgil.

"We've managed to help most of the inhabitants anyway." Scott spoke. "Virgil, go and pick Daisy and whoever she's with up and then come and pick our man up. Kayo, once they're sorted out, head back to Tracy Island. We'll meet back there."

"FAB." Kayo spoke before walking back towards myself and Grace. "Virgil should be here soon, then we'll get you sorted out." She smiled at Grace.

"Thank you for looking after me." She spoke, clearly feeling a little bit better.

"No problem sweetie. It's our job to make sure people are okay." Kayo replied.

"We'll get you to safety soon." I added.

"I wish everyone was like you two." Grace responded as she leant on me and gave me a light hug.

I felt strange. It was like Grace was a much younger Katie and she was scared. I thought back to when my Mum and Dad died, the way Katie was petrified as to what might happen to us. It brought a lump to my throat.

"Virgil's here." Kayo spoke looking towards the green machine that had just appeared from nowhere. It landed smoothly, not too far away from where we were sat. The doors opened and Virgil ran out, behind him it looked as though there were quite a few individuals already within Thunderbird Two, closely guarded by Alan, who was clearly ensuring everyone was as good as they could be.

"Thanks Kayo." Virgil spoke. "We'll meet you back at home.

"No problems Verg." She smiled and ran off towards Thunderbird Shadow before she took off back to Tracy Island.

"So you must be Grace." He spoke, smiling at the little girl, as if to ease her. "I'm Virgil and you've already met Daisy." She nodded in response, still loosely holding on to me. "So what we're going to do is take you to hospital so they can make you feel better. Is that okay?"

"Okay." She spoke quietly.

"Good. Do you think you can walk over there?" He pointed towards where Thunderbird Two stood.

"No." She shook her head. "I don't think so."

"I'll carry her." I spoke to Virgil.

"You sure?" He responded.

"Yeah, I carried Katie millions of times when she was Grace's age."

"Okay." He smiled at me before looking back towards Grace. "Daisy is going to carry you, so you'll need to let go of her just for a second."

Grace nodded and let go of me. I then stood up and picked Grace up so her little legs were wrapped around my waist and her head was rested on my shoulder. She didn't seem to retaliate or squirm as I did so. We followed Virgil towards Thunderbird Two and once we'd made our way inside, I realised that the only seats which were spare was the pilot and co-pilot's seat and the one which I sat on previously, so I took the executive decision to allow Grace to sit on my knee.

"You promise me I'll be alright and that the evil man won't find me." Grace spoke quietly as she sat on my knee.

"I promise we'll do the best that we can do to ensure he doesn't harm you."

She nodded in response.

After what felt like seconds, we'd landed once more. Virgil ran out to help Scott and Gordon, whilst myself and Alan continued to care for the other people within Thunderbird Two. We'd simply handed out bottles of water and medical supplies to those who needed them. But it was obvious that when Virgil returned with Scott that there was somebody else we needed to tend to that was in a more severe state than everyone else inside of Thunderbird Two.

It was a boy, aged about 14 with long shaggy brown hair. His skin was pale and he seemed unconscious, although he murmured a little.

"David!" Grace screamed, sitting bolt upright as Virgil carried him in. "What's happened to my brother?" She asked me as she saw him and all of his bruises.

"I don't know." I replied. "But we are going to help him. I need you to stay brave okay. You're doing really well so far."

She nodded quickly, tears forming in her eyes.

Once Virgil had returned to his position, I realised that Alan was still wandering around Thunderbird Two and helping the passengers on board.

"What's happening Verg?" I asked him as he smoothly started the ship off.

"We need to get to a hospital stat. Let's just say, David isn't in a great condition. But don't worry, we'll help him as much as he needs it." Virgil responded.

"You will take care of him won't you?" Grace asked Virgil.

"Of course we will." He responded.

"Promise."

"I promise."