Chapter 8

The score was 4-4. Within the past hour or so, I discovered just how competitive Virgil was. Always keeping his eyes on what needed to be done, which I suppose is the main thing to look for with somebody who's going to save people from all over the world.

"Ready?" Virgil asked as he dropped the football onto the table.

Weirdly, my mind wandered from the game. I began thinking about other things like Jase and Jamie, but then I thought about Parker and Auntie Penny. My mind then suddenly returned back to the game, the ball came flying in the direction of my goal but I wasn't quick enough in moving. Virgil suddenly let out an excited and happy yell, indicating that he'd won the game.

"Looks like I'm taking you to your Auntie's Gala." Virgil spoke.

"Looks like it." I smiled as I looked towards Virgil. His eyes were sparkling as he smiled back at me.

"Good game." He spoke as he walked around the table and stuck his hand out for me to take, which I did.

He pulled me into him and put his arm around my shoulder. We walked towards the sofa in this position and sat down the same way. Scott simply stared at us.

"What?" Virgil spoke, which once again received only a look from Scott in response. "Oh." Virgil responded as he removed his arm from my shoulder.

"Will you two hurry up and kiss already?" Alan spoke jokingly.

"What?" I asked.

"We're just friends." Virgil added.

"Of course you are." Katie responded.

"Does it matter that we get on well with each other?" Virgil asked as he put his arm around me once more.

"Well, no. But you do get on a little too well." Gordon replied.

"Does anyone know what time it is?" I asked, trying to change the conversation.

"I don't know, but it's getting dark out there." Virgil spoke.

"You know what. I don't care I'm off to bed." Katie spoke as she stood up and made her way upstairs.

"I'm off to bed also, night everyone." Alan spoke as he stood up and followed Katie up the stairs.

"Yeah, me too. Night" Added Gordon, who followed the two of them upstairs.

"So it's just the three of us then." I spoke, putting my feet up on the sofa.

"Yep looks like it." Virgil spoke.

Both myself and Virgil sat in silence as Scott stood up and wandered over to the kitchen and made us all a drink. When he made his way back to us with the drinks, he handed them to us before speaking.

"When did this happen?" Scott asked us.

"When did what happen?" Virgil responded.

"You know. You two!"

"Scott, what do you mean?" I asked.

"You two clearly have something going on." Scott replied.

I looked at Virgil, who looked back at me. I shrugged my shoulders and he shrugged his.

"Oh come on! You clearly have feelings for each other! I've never seen you Virgil so happy." Scott spoke.

"I really don't know what you mean Scott. If I liked her, if tell her." Virgil spoke. My heart sank a little.

"Yeah." I spoke, still feeling a little down hearted.

"Okay." Scott spoke. "Right, I'm going up to bed. Night you two."

"Night Scott." Virgil spoke.

"Night." I added.

Myself and Virgil sat in silence. He still had his arm around me, but it somehow felt different. I did enjoy having Virgil's arm around me, and I knew that it was probably impossible for us to be together, but learning that both Jase and Virgil clearly didn't have feelings for me in one day truly upset me.

"Daisy?" Virgil spoke quietly.

"Yeah?" I responded.

"Are you okay?"

"Yeah."

"It's just you seem to sound really upset." He spoke, clearly caring for me.

"I am." I responded. "Today just hasn't been my day."

"Why what's happened?" He asked.

"My best friend, she kissed this guy that I'd always liked. She always knew I liked him, but now." I took a deep breath.

"Oh, I'm sorry." Virgil responded.

"It's okay." I replied.

"I'm here for you." Virgil spoke.

"Thanks."

We sat once again in silence. Virgil's arm was still wrapped around me. He was a good comforter, even if he was one of the reasons that I was feeling so low. It was so nice just sitting in silence, taking in Virgil's musk and changing our breathing so we were both in time with each other when inhaling and exhaling.

"You probably already know this." Virgil spoke after moments of silence. "But your dad was a great man."

"How did you know my dad?" I asked.

"He helped our dad set up the whole Thunderbird and International Rescue stuff. If it wasn't for him, it would still just be an idea." He spoke. "Your dad designed the Thunderbirds with Brains."

"Really?" I asked. "There's a photograph back in an album with my Auntie of me when I was younger with some models of the Thunderbirds and pictures of the designs. I never knew where I got them from, but I now know that they were from him. I guess that's two things that I retrieved from him."

"Why? What's the other?" Virgil asked.

"My dad used to skate. I remember seeing all his trophies up in a small room, which he called his hobby room. But he had to stop when my mother found out she was pregnant with me." I took a deep breath. "Anyway, skip forward a few years to when Katie was about 5. People were after our family, the same people who are still after myself and Katie. We were supposed to be evacuated to live with Auntie Penny, all of us. But only myself and Katie made it." I felt Virgil squeeze my hand. "I remember seeing my parents being murdered. Myself and Katie ran as fast as we could, until we saw Parker in FAB1. He took us back to Auntie Penny. Anyway, days passed and before I noticed, it was a week before my birthday. Parker asked me what I wanted and I simply stated that I wanted my parents back. Which I knew was impossible. The day of my birthday came and I received that skateboard from Parker. Apparently he returned to our family home and out of the damage caused by those people, he managed to retrieve a few good pieces of board, and make me a special one to commemorate my parents. Nobody else knows that though. Not even Katie or Auntie Penny."

"Oh I'm sorry." Virgil spoke.

"You don't have to be, it wasn't your fault." I responded.

We sat in silence once more and I felt myself grow tireder by the minute. My eyelids became heavier and my breathing became deeper. I decided to allow myself to fall asleep, so that I was submerged into total darkness.

"Good night beautiful."