Chapter 18

"Daisy." My Auntie began to speak.

"I'm sorry about what happened just then." I cut her off. "I thought you meant something completely different but Virgil explained to me what you were trying to say."

"No I'm sorry, I should have told you before hand." I looked towards my Auntie and noticed that Kayo, Gordon and Brains started to walk up the steps behind her.

"It's okay. It's got nothing to do with us." I replied.

"I know, and I shouldn't have brought it up." She smiled at me.

"Is everything okay?" Kayo asked from behind my Auntie.

"Everything is fine Kayo." I smiled.

"I hope everyone is hungry!" Grandma Tracy spoke from behind the kitchen top.

"How long have you been there?" I asked.

"Long enough to cook up a delicious meal for you all!" She exclaimed. "Come on everyone sit down!"

We all begrudgingly made our way to the kitchen table, which was normally set to sit 7.

"Haven't we got a larger table?" I joked.

"It does extend." Scott spoke, "But even so, not all of us will be able to sit around it and we haven't got enough chairs."

"Scott and I will go and sit in the living room to have our meal," Virgil spoke. "Kayo, Daisy want to join us?"

I looked over towards Kayo, who looked back towards me and nodded. "Yeah sure."

We picked up our meals and as everyone else sat around the table, myself, Scott, Kayo and Virgil all sat down on the sofa in the living area. I was sat next to Virgil, leaving Scott to sit next to Kayo. I looked down at my plate, which was inhibited with a burnt and charcoaled pie. I looked at Virgil, who gave me an unimpressed look.

"Bon apetit." Grandma Tracy spoke.

I began to begrudgingly eat the food which she made us, clearly pulling a face as I did so. As I did so, I noticed that even though the pastry was completely burnt, or "caramelised" as grandma Tracy explained, the meat in the middle of which was uncooked and stone cold. I didn't realise beforehand so I ate it and felt as though I was going to be sick because of so. I suddenly placed my plate to the side of me.

"Are you okay?" Virgil asked me. I shook my head in response, before running upstairs and into mine and Katie's bedroom.

A few minutes passed and I heard a knock on the door. I didn't respond.

"Dase?" Virgil spoke as the door began to open slightly. "How are you?"

"I feel sick." I spoke.

"I should have warned you beforehand. Same thing happened to Alan not so long ago." He smiled as he sat down next to me on my bed and put his arm around my shoulder. I leant into him and felt his free hand rub my knee. He looked at me and smiled, before looking at something behind me. "Did you buy that today?" He asked me before pointing to the bear.

"Yeah." I replied. "He reminded me of one which my dad bought me."

"Has he got a name?" He asked me. I looked him in the eyes and shook my head. "He looks quite posh, so how about Harold?"

"Harold?" I raised my eyebrows, before looking back towards the bear. "He does look like a Harold."

"Harold it is then." He smiled.

I began to shiver a little and snuggled up to Virgil a bit more. He pushed my hair out of my eyes and tested my temperature by placing the back of his hand onto my forehead.

"Have you been sick?" He asked.

I nodded in response. He took a deep breath before lightly kissing my forehead. He stood up and began to walk away.

"You go back to bed, I'll go tell your Auntie and Parker what's happened." He spoke before leaving me alone in my room.

I quickly got changed into a pair of pajamas and tucked myself back into bed. Cuddling up to Harold, I drifted off into a deep sleep.

An unfathomable amount of time passed as I awoke due to a large amount of noise coming from downstairs. The room was pitch black, but I decided to get out of bed as my stomach started rumbling and a terrible pain started occurring. I made my way downstairs, forgetting that I was wearing a very unflattering pair of pajamas, and noticed that Virgil, Scott and Katie were all sat on the sofa.

"You okay sis?" Katie asked me.

"No." I replied as I began to walk towards them.

"You've definitely got food poisoning." Scott spoke. "Grandma is not cooking again. That's the second time she's poisoned someone in the past few weeks."

I sat down next to Virgil and cuddled up to him. He began to rub his hand through my curls. I grimaced and clutched my stomach.

"Katie, go and get some water for your sister please" Virgil spoke.

Katie nodded and made her way to the kitchen to get myself some water. I felt so sick, like somebody was punching me in the stomach after feeding me a massive meal. I also had a disgusting taste in my mouth, which made me feel even worse. Katie handed me the water after she returned bearing it.

"Thanks Katie." I spoke as I began to drink it.

"I tell you what." Virgil spoke after a few moments of silence. "Dase why don't you sleep in my room tonight and I'll sleep down here, so you don't have to worry about waking Katie up or vice versa."

"Okay." I nodded.

I followed Katie and Virgil upstairs, leaving Scott alone. I quickly wandered into my room and picked up Harold.

"Hope you feel better soon." Katie smiled as I left her alone in our room.

I noticed Virgil waiting for me, as I approached him, he put his arm around me and led me to his room. He switched the light on and clearly noticed the books I had bought him, next to the note still lying on his bed.

"They're new." He spoke as he walked towards his bed and picked up the note. "I see you've already been in here then." He joked, spinning around and showing me the note. "Thanks for thinking of me." He smiled.

He picked up the books and placed them on a nearby table as I made myself comfortable in his bed.

"Goodnight sweetheart. If you need anything, shout me." He spoke as he kissed me on the forehead. "Get better soon." He added as he made his way towards the door and shut it behind him, leaving myself in darkness once more.

"Night Harold." I quietly spoke, hugging the bear close to me and drifted off into another deep sleep.