America Depressed (OLD STORY)

((So I had unpublished this, but I'm republishing it bc I didn't want so many unpublished chapters on this book, but I didn't want to delete it, and a lot of people seem to like depressed America... So here it is!! Again!!))

*England's POV*

  England sighed, pressing "end call" on his phone as an electronic voice asked him to leave a voicemail. America hadn't been answering his calls for a while now, and it was beginning to worry him. The other countries at the conference stared at England expectantly. "He didn't answer?", France questioned, sounding slightly concerned. "No, he didn't," England said as he put his phone back in his pocket.

  "He hasn't been to the last four meetings," Germany said, tapping his pen on the table. England shrugged. "Every time I'd call him about them, he'd say he had a stomach virus or something." "Nobody is sick with that for four months," China put in. "What if he's... Dead?", France pondered. England shook his head. "I doubt he's dead." He tilted his head. "Perhaps we should go check on him, though." The other nations murmured an agreement. "Hey Frog, why don't you go with me? Canada, you can come too." France shot a glare at England, but the two of them nodded in agreement.

  Japan stood up. "I want to go too," he said. "I am..  Concerned for Mr. America." "That's fine by me," England said, shrugging, before turning around and walking out of the room.

-several hours later-

  The four nations pulled up into the driveway of America's house, with England in the driver's seat. The lights seemed to be off in the house, and all the curtains were closed. The house seemed almost... Lifeless. They got out of the car, and stopped at the front door.

  France knocked loudly, and slowly approaching footsteps could be heard on the other side of the door. Suddenly, the door was flung open, and the nations jumped slightly. America stood in the doorway, looking strangely thin and bony, his eyes uncharacteristically dull. His hair looked greasy, like he hadn't showered in about a week or more. "What're you guys doing here," he mumbled, his voice cracking midway through the sentence.

  The four nations stood in a shocked silence, and finally England cleared his throat. "W-well, you haven't been to a conference in over four months, America. We've been worried... Are you ok?" America narrowed his eyes. "I'm fine," he growled under his breath. "Amérique, you do not look fine," France said. America said nothing, he just stared at them blankly for several seconds. "Can we come inside, eh?", Canada finally asked meekly. America nodded wordlessly, and turned around, slowly walking away.

  England, France, Canada, and Japan shuffled awkwardly into the living room. All the lights were off, and things were starting to look dusty. America sank down onto a couch, still saying nothing. England suddenly realized that the whole place smelled like alcohol and cigarettes. Canada sat next to America. "Alfred, what's going on?", he said gently, using America's human name. America shrugged. "I dunno," he mumbled, staring at the ground.

  Japan sat down on the other side of him. "Is something wrong, America-san?" America shrugged. France crossed his arms, standing in front of America. "You look like you haven't eaten in weeks." "I haven't been hungry lately. Besides, I was eating way too much before", America said, almost to himself. France grunted. "Well, now you are not eating enough!" He marched into the kitchen. "I am making you food!", he called. With his shoulders sagging, America simply sighed. England put a hand on America. "Do you want to tell us anything?"

  America took a shuddering breath. "I guess I just haven't been in a very good mood for a while," he finally said. Canada was staring at a cigarette packet on the table. "Have you been smoking?.." America bit his lip and nodded. Japan narrowed his eyes. "Has anything happened, Alfred-san?" America nodded, eyes still fixed on the ground. "What happened, lad?", England asked softly, gently rubbing his shoulder.

  The younger nation said nothing. "Come on, Alfred, please tell us. We just want to help you," Canada prompted. "Ok," America mumbled, slighting sitting up. "Back in 1937, I met a girl named Lisa. She was 16. We started dating, and after a few months.. We got married." England blinked in surprise. "M..married?!" America nodded. "Mmhm. I didn't tell anybody though, because I wanted her to be safe.. Anyways, six months ago, she got really really sick - I mean... She was already 95... So I kind of saw it coming... But she got sick, and then about three months later... She-... she-" America broke off, swallowing loudly and closing his eyes tightly.

England, filled with shock, pulled America into a tight hug. "Hey, it's alright," he whispered soothingly. America let out a choked sob. "No it's not!", he cried, burying his face into England's chest. Soon enough, he was sobbing loudly into England, with the slightly crushed nation rocking him back and forth, and Japan and Canada rubbing his back.

  "America, it's alright now," England whispered again, attempting to calm the weeping nation down. America simply shook his head and let out a low moan. Japan slightly shifted forward to be closer to America. "Alfred-san, here, look at me," he said, putting a hand underneath America's chin and turning his head towards him.

  The younger nation's face was tear streaked, his eyes red and puffy. Little sobs emitted from him, and his shoulders shook. "When England-san says everything is alright, he truly means it is alright. I am sure.. That Lisa is in a better place now. And she would want you to move on, and to be happy." America sniffled loudly, and swallowed. "Don't you think she would want you to be happy?" America nodded. "Mmhm", he whimpered.

  "Do you think she would want you to be like this?" America shook his head. "...n-no...." Japan gave a small smile. "Why don't we try doing what she would have wanted, then?", he suggested gently. America took a shuddering breath, sniffing loudly. "O-okay.. I'll try...", he whispered, his voice wobbling. He sank back into England, his whole body limp, and looking exhausted. Japan picked the pack of cigarettes off the table. "Let's start with this," he said, placing the packet in America's shaking hand.

  America swallowed loudly, and pried himself away from England. On shaky legs he stood up, walked over to the trash bin, and plopped them inside of it. England smiled, happy to see the nation making an effort. He cleared his throat and walked back to the couch, wiping at his face.

  Loudly sighing, he curled up next to Japan, his breath still shaky and slightly ragged. Canada put a hand on America's shoulder. "Are you going to be alright?" America sighed. "I... think so..." Canada gave a small smile. "Good."  Just then, France appeared in the doorway to the kitchen, holding a plate. He briskly walked over, and plopped it down on the table. Pointing at the plate, he commanded, "Go on, Amérique, eat up."

England's eyes opened wide. On the plate, there was a burger. Of course, it wasn't like a McDonald's burger - in fact, it looked beautiful (for a burger). But still, France had made a burger?!? France noticed England staring at him with surprise and amusement, and slyly flicked up his middle finger, scowling at him. America gave a small, hesitant laugh, and France turned around, blushing.

France cleared his throat awkwardly. "Er.. I hope you like it, Amérique," he mumbled. America grabbed the burger and took a bite. He swallowed, and tipped his head to the side, looking thoughtful. "Tastes great!... But not as good as mine," he said, a bit of a mischievous glint lighting up his eyes. The other countries snickered, and France frowned. America gave a small laugh, then stood up and pulled France into a hug. "Thanks, France," he sighed, closing his eyes.

France looked surprised for a moment, but then hugged him back, giving a small smile. "You are welcome, Alfred." America slowly pulled away from the hug, then sat down, and began to eat the burger. England gave a small chuckle, watching his former colony slowly eat his favorite food. Japan, who was now standing next to England, gave a small sigh. "I think that Mr. America will be okay," he said softly.

England stared at his little brother, happiness and sadness mingling inside of him. "Yes. I think so too."

~The End~

((Please vote, comment, and leave suggestions!! Thank you! 😊🇺🇸💗))