[05]

I walked down to through the crowded sophomore hall, squeezing my way through two energetic girls and stuffing my unnecessary books and notebooks into my locker, and grabbing my jacket and sports bag. "So, are you ready to go?" Megan said from behind me. I turned around to see the redhead dressed in light blue women's athletic shorts and a matching sports tank top. Her red hair was now in a bun at the top of her head and all her jewelry was gone, replaced by a simple black leather bracelet. Other than her black sports bag, which coincedently matched mine, all she had as any type of decoration was a Celtic style tree tattoo on her shoulder with silver bark and black leave and the words: Eveans Clan written in a beautiful, but unrecognizable font above it.

"Nice tattoo." I said, walking beside her as she led me to the weight room on the other side of the school. Megan glanced at her tattoo then looked back at me with a smile. "Thanks, it's my family's symbol." She said. "Oh, here we are." The weight room was easily identified among the black lockers by its large sign. The hallway was full of book bags and sport bags, stacked on top of each other at the edge of the walls.

"Okay, so you can change in the girl's locker room through that blue door, then you can come find me in the weight room, Kay?" She said. I turned around to scan the hallway in search of the blue door which easily stood out from the lockers next to the weight room door. "Okay." I said, turning to look back at Megan, but she had disappeared.

Shrugging, I went to the locker room which was eerily empty. All the lockers had been neatly closed, seemingly untouched since the last sport season. I guess they're reserved for the people who actually make the team. I thought.

When I left the locker room I placed my sports bag on the floor against the wall and took a good look in the mirror that was placed on the weight room door. I was dressed simply, as I liked to, in nothing but black sports leggings and a blue sports bra. (I wasn't one to get overly "fancy" with workout clothes.) I didn't exactly have abs, but some lines were forming on my hardened stomach from the two years of sports I've participated in.

The moment I walked into the gym room I felt like I was punched in the face by the blaring music that was blasting through the many speakers. Everyone around me was working hard, whether they were on the weights or doing some cardio. Those who weren't working out were either refreshing themselves with a sports drink or stretching.

Almost immediately I found Megan talking to Erika and another girl I didn't recognize. Erika's hair was in ponytail like mine, and she was wearing a black tank top and black sports short. The girl next to them I recognized as the girl who had been cliff jumping at the party. Getting a better look at her I realized why she was easily accepted into the community despite being a little strange.

She was gorgeous.

She was African-American with black curly hair that ombred into a beautiful, ocean like blue color. Her hair, unlike Megan's and Erika's was completely out in all its untamed glory. She wore a black sports bra and black and blue, Black Pines High School joggers. Without clothing to cover it up, I could clearly see that her entire left arm and left side were almost completely covered in black, silver, and blue Polynesian tattoos depicting the ocean and all its life.

"Hey." I said, walking up to them. Megan looked at me and smiled, giving me a brief hug. Erika, who was drinking her red sports drink, simply waved. "Hi, I'm Lana." the stranger said, smiling. Though I could tell she was trying to be friendly, she clearly wasn't a big fan of me. That said, it wasn't a feeling of disdain like Rachel, but more like fear. It was like she was afraid of me, wary that I would do something to her.

It felt odd, but strangely empowering.

"Hi Lana." I said, smiling, "So, where do I start?" I asked. Megan led me to the weights area, Erika and Lana not too far behind. "We like to start with weights, which is perfect since you're here. With an even number, two can lift while the other two spot." Megan said. Almost automatically, Megan and Lana headed towards the closest weights, which were about 250 lbs, and Megan started lifting.