[01]

The silence in the car was deafening, not a word was exchanged between my father and I. Honestly, I didn't want to talk to him, I didn't talk to anyone. My mother had died in a car accident while coming home from grocery shopping in Forks, I didn't have any family in La Push so custody was given to my father in Black Pines

Needless to say, I wasn't happy moving away from people I considered family and the culture that surrounded it, I was at least happy I wasn't too far. Thankfully, Black Pines was only an hour and a half away, though it felt like a thousand hours.

Black Pines wasn't too different from La Push, other than the obvious, it was a small coastal town where everyone seemed to know everyone. Seattle was about two hours away, but the culture was very apparent in the town. Everywhere I looked: flannel, coffee, grunge, and teriyaki. The only thing that was missing was cream cheese on hot dogs.

That's where I cross the line.

It was drizzling outside, as it usually did in Washington, and most of the people seemed to be packed in a corner cafe, laughing and talking. I turned away from the glowing scene and looked into the mirror, into my own reflection.

I wasn't absolutely hideous, but I wasn't Covergirl either. Like my mother, I had raven, waist length, curly-wavy hair which I occasionally straightened. My eyes were dark brown, almost black and rested on my high cheekbones, which were slightly hidden by my child-like "chipmunk cheeks" as my mother used to call them. My lips were like my father's, small in size with a slight cupids bow and a fuller bottom lip.

My father, Levi, was still young looking with youthful black eyes and only a few wrinkles. His nose was the more "traditional" Native American nose type, which contrasted my straight nose. His skin was slightly darker than mine and his short, ebony hair showed no signs of aging. What could you expect, though, he was only thirty-one. As you may have guessed, I was the product of a teen pregnancy brought about when about fifteen years ago my father went to La Push over the summer and there he met my mother. You can fill in the blanks.

Anyway, it wasn't long before we reached the house. It was about two floors, not including the basement, with a skylight on the roof. The house was a mainly blue craftsman house with the front of the connected garage a grey stone, The roof was a dark brown and the stone pillars were wrapped in ivy. A stone path led the way to the steps from the dirt driveway and was lined with little, lantern-like garden lights spread apart with white rose bushes in between. Four, tall pine trees of various sizes surrounded the house, almost hiding it like a forbidden secret.

As we approached the garage, the door automatically opened and we drove in, the door closing behind us. Not a word was spoken as my father led me through the door into the well-lit kitchen that was painted an olive green. There, cooking steak teriyaki, was my stepmother, Leah. On either side of her were their two dogs, Storm and Wolfe. Storm was a male, white husky with one dark blue eye and one light blue eye. Wolfe was a female, white and black NAID (Native American Indian Dog) with light yellow eyes. Both dogs were a little less than a year old and had been found hiding in the garage about a year and a half ago. Leah fell in love with them and the rest was history.

Leah turned to us and smiled, revealing perfectly white teeth. Leah was twenty-nine and undeniably gorgeous. Her skin was a copper color with short, raven hair that bounced above her shoulders. She had high cheekbones and beautiful heterochromia eyes, her left eye was light blue and her right eye was black both. Leah was a bit taller than average, about 5'7" and was twenty nine years old. According to my dad, she was actually from Seattle and was half Makah and half Quileute, 100% gorgeous. The most striking thing about her, though, were her three scars that started from her widow's peak to her chin on her left side, the left side of her mouth was in a permanent grimace whenever she stopped talking as a result. Apparently, she had gotten in an accident when doing volunteer work at the wolf sanctuary nearby. (She was still better looking than me, though.)