Chapter Twenty-One

Start from the beginning

"Not at all, your words really got me thinking. Thank you, but now if you'll excuse me, I have a friendship to fix up," I announce with a smile. She smiles sweetly at me and nods her head in understanding.

"No problem, I'm glad I could help my brothers mate," she says with a joyful voice. I was glad that the members of Hunter's family actually liked me. I don't know what I would've done if Emiliah was like some of the other girls in the pack. The good thing was that there was only one Mariah Neil, and that was enough.

She watches me leave the room silently as I make my way towards the entrance of the pack house. Hunter was nowhere to be seen in the house and all the pack members avoided me as always. I was more of an outcast since I was human, but that didn't mean no one offered me sympathetic smiles and looks. It was annoying, but at least it shows me that they notice my existence.

My walk through the forest was peaceful and had me thinking about what I was going to say to Gaby. How does one apologize to their best friend for something they're not even sure they're apologizing for?

Before I could further question myself, I had already found myself knocking on her houses door. I had no idea what to say, so I guess I'll just let the words come out as they want.

The loud knocks ran through the house like a symphony of drums. It was Keith who swung the door open with a grimace on his young face.

"Are you alright?" I ask him, my face contorting into one of worry and concern. He let out a shaky breath before grabbing my hand and dragging me along side him. The front door was left wide open as I allow him to take me downstairs into the basement.

"Keith, what's going-," I cut myself off with a gasp. Laying before my eyes was my best friend hugging the torn up and beaten body of Dylan's mate. Tears filled my eyes at the very sight and anger filled my mind with thoughts of what sort of evil beings did this.

Without hesitation I run into Gaby's opened arms and pull them close to me. I cry into Kendall's shoulder along with the two girls.

"Who-who did this to you?" I ask her, swallowing whatever anger I had in me. Kendall looks up at me with dull brown eyes; a complete change from the livid hazel like eyes she had before she left for her trip.

"I-I don- I-I...," she stutters to even make a coherent sentence. I cry harder at that. What had they done to her?

"It's alright, you don't need to tell me right now. Let's get you to the pack doctor and we can work on revenge later," Gaby pipes in. I smile at her non-stuttering voice. She was trying not to break down; at least one of us had to be strong for Kendall at a time like this.

"Dylan will be so happy you're back," I add in with a warm smile, trying to brighten her mood. At the sound of her mates name, both lust and love filled her eyes. I smile, but it soon turns into a frown when I notice she could barely lift herself up.

"Could you mind-link the doctor to come here?" I ask Gaby, helping Kendall lay down on the couch. Gaby nods her head and walks off to wait for the help needed. Keith had left the room, but soon returned with a first aid kit, and a glass of water.

"Thank Keith, but there isn't much I can do. The pack doctor will have to look over her wounds," I tell him with a gentle smile. I grab the water from his hand and help Kendall bring it to her lips. Slowly, she gulps it down and quenches the thirst she must have been suffering from. Who knows how long she went without water, or even food.

"How are you feeling?" I ask her, rubbing her heated forehead with my thumb. It was getting warmer and warmer by each passing minute. "Keith, could you go bring me a wet cloth. Preferably cold water," I ask, not taking my eyes off of Kendall. We had lost her once and I did not want her to go missing again because of me. I felt like her kidnapping was partly my fault, and she was going to slip away from under me if I dared looked away.