Chapter 43

Klaus's POV

Deep breath Klaus, you can do this.

Okay, I think I smell Caroline's scent nearby. I flash toward where it is more powerful, and I find myself at a bar. I follow her scent into the bathroom, and as I am entering I run into a red haired girl. I compel her, "Have you seen a woman with blonde hair and green eyes?"

Her eyes glaze over and she says, "No, I don't think so. I am meeting a woman with blonde hair and green eyes, though."

I say, "I don't think we are thinking of the same person."

She was compelled, Caroline must have been here.

I compel her, "Go home and forget this night ever happened."

She hesitates a bit at first and heads toward the door. I need to get back to finding Caroline. If anything happens to her, I'll hate myself forever. If Caroline dies, I will have to live with knowing that my blood was the cure and I couldn't get it to her in time. I can't let anything happen to Caroline. I promise myself right here, right now, that if Caroline dies I will certainly kill Katerina. Yes, it is settled, but first I need to find Caroline, whether it be her corpse or her body, though I am hoping for the latter of the two.

I start to follow her scent as it leads me outside. It takes me down a couple roads then into a forest. Her scent is getting so strong she has to be nearby. I can also smell the werewolf venom in the air. I almost make me want to gag at how strong the scent is.

I see her, Caroline. She is crying and holding a tree branch over her heart. I freeze, she wants to end her life. Caroline is about to kill herself. Her hallucinations are worse than I thought.

There is no way I am letting her die, so I flash towards her and rip the stake out of her hands. She looks at me as if I just ran over her puppy. She isn't in her right mind, and I can tell she isn't thinking rationally.

I say, "Caroline drink my blood."

She backs away as if she is scared of me. She says, "No, I have to die, it is the only way to stop the pain."

I say, "Caroline, I don't want to compel you so please drink my blood." She stops backing away, but she doesn't move forward either.

I continue on, "You probably don't have much time left sweetheart and my blood will cure you so you don't have to die. It will stop the pain."

She looks at me and asks, "You promise all of the pain will go away?"

I nod and smile, saying, "Yes, Caroline, I promise all of the pain will go away."

I offer her my wrist. She ignores me and goes straight for my throat. She is being very sloppy and making a huge mess of my new shirt, but I don't care. I wouldn't care if she never talked to me again. Caroline is safe, that's all I care about.