Chapter 18:

Thrushpaw padded back into camp after Robinpaw, carrying two large rabbits and a dove in his jaws. They set their prey on the fresh-kill pile before padding over to the other apprentices.

"Do you think we passed?" Redpaw whispered to Thrushpaw, who shrugged.

"I hope so." Robinpaw grumbled. "I worked my tail off." Thrushpaw snorted at him. "What? I did! It almost fell off!" Robinpaw mewed indignantly, making the light brown tom burst into a fit of laughter, which stopped when Dawnstar called a clan meeting.

"Today five apprentices will become warriors." He called out, and the group immediately padded towards their leader. "They have all been trained well, and it's high time they received their warrior names." Dawnstar purred. Thrushpaw glanced around, trying to spot Mintfeather, and purred when he spotted the tom before seeing the conflicted look on his face. Frowning, Thrushpaw turned back, wondering what could be bothering his friend.

"Redpaw, step forth." The dark ginger tom padded forward and stared up at the grey tabby leader with amber eyes. "From the moment forwards, you shall be known as Redfang." The tom dipped his head and backed up. "Antpaw, come forth." The black and ginger tom snorted at Thrushpaw and padded forward, staring up at his leader with determined ice blue eyes. "From this day forth, you shall be known as Antpelt." He dipped his head and sat beside his brother, flicking his tail as he watched the remaining three.

"This is making me nervous." Darkpaw muttered to Thrushpaw, who purred at her.

"Don't worry, it'll be fine. I'm sure of it." He reassured her. Darkpaw stared at him with gleaming emerald eyes before turning back to her leader.

"Robinpaw, from this day forth, you shall be known as Robinfeather." He purred and dipped his head before sitting at Redfang's side. Darkpaw gulped nervously, starting to shiver slightly. Thrushpaw leaned towards her and whispered to her.

"You'll be fine. Just take a deep breath." She nodded and padded forwards, a determined look on her face.

"Darkpaw, do you promise to uphold the warrior code, even if it costs you your life?" The black and white she-cat nodded. "Then from this moment forth, you shall be known as Darkriver!" Dawnstar purred when he turned his gaze to the last standing apprentice. Thrushpaw stood and stared up at Dawnstar with warm emerald eyes.

"Thrushpaw, do you promise to uphold the warrior code?"

"I do."

"Even if it costs you your life?" Thrushpaw's eyes flashed with determination.

"Yes."

"Then from this moment forth, you shall now be known as Thrushwing of DuskClan! Let us welcome our new warriors!" Dawnstar yowled as the clan started cheering. Thrushwing purred when Robinfeather nudged his shoulder.

"Finally we're warriors!" Darkriver padded over to them, chuckling.

"That doesn't mean most of us our as mature as warriors." She mewed. Thrushwing laughed and nodded before he felt a soft pelt brush his side. He turned and purred when he saw Pricklenose standing there with Waspflame.

"Congrats! You two are finally warriors! Although you should've been made warriors when you defeated that dog, in my opinion." Pricklenose mewed, flicking her tail and rolling her eyes. Waspflame purred at his mate and stared at both Robinfeather and Thrushwing with joyful multi-colored eyes.

"We're so proud of you. Both of you." He added, looking at Thrushwing pointedly, who ducked his head and purred.

"Thank you so much." He mewed gently. "That means a lot." He mewed.

"Thrushwing?" Darkriver mewed in his ear. He turned towards her with confusion, and she flicked her tail at the entrance of camp. "Your father is leaving camp..." He glanced over at the camp entrance to see Nightshade padding out of the camp with Snakefern on his heels. His eyes dulled before he shook his head.

"That's alright. It's not like he cared anyways." Thrushwing sighed. Darkriver gave him a sympathetic look. Thrushwing glanced at the medicine den and spotted Mintfeather's pelt disappearing into it. "Excuse me. I need to go speak with someone." Thrushwing mewed before padding over to the den and going inside. He found Mintfeather sitting in the middle of it, organizing herbs at his paws. "Mintfeather? Is something wrong?" He asked softly, padding closer.

"Don't come any closer, Thrushwing." Mintfeather snapped. Thrushwing flinched, eyes widening with shock. "We need to talk." Mintfeather continued, still having his back facing the light brown warrior.

"About what...?" Thrushwing asked nervously. There was a long pause of silence before the light grey tom answered.

"...I don't think we should be friends anymore." Mintfeather mewed quietly.

"...what do you mean? Mintfeather, this isn't funny. Stop joking around." Thrushwing mewed nervously, taking another pawstep towards the grey tom.

"I'm not joking. I don't want us to be friends anymore!" Mintfeather exclaimed, finally turning around. Thrushwing felt like his heart just broke into pieces. His chest ached and his throat started to close, making it hard to breath or speak.

"But... Why?" He choked out.

"You wouldn't understand." Mintfeather muttered.

"Then explain to me!" Thrushwing shouted, tears filling his eyes. "Why are you doing this?!"

"Just leave, Thrushwing." Mintfeather sighed, shutting his eyes tightly so the tears behind his eyelids wouldn't spill down his face.

"Mintfeather, please. Don't do this." The light brown warrior choked out, tears finally leaking down his cheeks. "I-I love you." He whimpered. Mintfeather couldn't believe his ears. The one cat he loved had just confessed. And here he was, pushing him away.

"I told you to leave!" Mintfeather exclaimed, his voice wavering. There was a long, tense silence before all feeling left Thrushwing.

"Ok." He mewed, his voice devoid of any emotion. "I'll never forget this, Mintfeather." He mewed before turning around and padding out of the den silently. Mintfeather's eyes snapped open and he clenched his jaw to stop himself from sobbing. He wanted to turn around and chase after Thrushwing and tell him he was sorry. He wanted to explain himself, but he didn't have the guts.

"Dear StarClan, what have I done?" He whispered before collapsing on the ground and letting the tears out, finally.