Chapter 1

Darkness. That's all he saw when he opened his eyes. He felt a small paw on his pelt and turned towards whatever was touching him, sniffing at the air.

"Mother! Mintkit opened his eyes! Can we go out and play now?" An excited dark grey tom squeaked at a light brown she-cat and she purred.

"Oh, alright. Just make sure you two be careful." She mewed. It was strange, heavy with an accent that Mintkit couldn't place.

"What's wrong Mintkit? Why aren't you moving?" The kit asked, his breath ghosting over his face.

"Who are you?" He squeaked.

"I'm your brother!" The other kit chirped. Mintkit frowned.

"Why can't I see you?" He asked. He felt something large and warm wrap around him and turned his head to look around, trying to find what it was. He still couldn't see anything.

"Oh StarClan, no! Speckledfern! Please come quickly!" The light brown she-cat called out.

"What's wrong Larkpool?" A soft voice mewed from the other side of the nursery. A tawny she-cat stared over at her with wide hazel eyes as two kits squirmed at her side.

"Pricklenose, I think Mintkit is blind!" Larkpool mewed.

"What?" Another voice mewed with shock. It was a light and dark ginger she-cat who also had two kits in her nest.

"Larkpool? What's going on?" A male voice mewed. A white tom with ginger, black, and brown speckles poked his head into the nursery and stared at the light brown queen with worry.

"Speckledfern! Mintkit is blind!" The ginger she-cat exclaimed.

"Rosefur, what makes you say that?" He asked.

"Mintkit can't see Ravenkit when he's right in front of him." Larkpool mewed. An unknown scent filled Mintkit's nostrils and he raised his head towards the scent.

"Hmm... Can you see me Mintkit?" Speckledfern asked. He shook his head in response and heard the tom sigh.

"I'm afraid he is blind. There's nothing I can do about it. I'm sorry Larkpool." Speckledfern mewed gently, placing his tail on her shoulder. She hung her head and stared down at Mintkit sadly.

"My precious kit is blind!" She murmured softly. Mintkit looked up towards the sound of her voice and his nose twitched.

"Where am I?" He squeaked.

"The nursery, silly!" Ravenkit squeaked in response. "Come on, let's go outside!" He mewed, ushering Mintkit towards the entrance, patiently leading him with his tail.

"What am I going to tell Dawnstar?" Larkpool muttered as Pricklenose and Rosefur shared a glance with each other.

"It'll be fine Larkpool. Mintkit seems like a strong kit. He'll be fine!" Rosefur mewed reassuringly.

"But he can never be a warrior!" She exclaimed, looking at Rosefur. She shut her muzzle and stared down at her kits sadly as Pricklenose sighed.

"He may not become a warrior, but he can be a medicine cat." Speckledfern mewed, flicking his tail. "I'd be happy to take him as my apprentice." Larkpool looked at him hopefully.

"Are you sure?" She mewed. Speckledfern purred and nodded his head.

"Besides, it's high time I should be getting an apprentice anyways." He mewed. He turned his gaze towards Mintkit as he glanced around with confusion, trying to follow where his brother had gone. Instead of using his ears or nose, he was trying to use his sight to find Ravenkit.

"There are many things Mintkit has to learn." Speckledfern mewed.