Prologue:

Mintfeather gasped as he opened his eyes and looked around with wide mint-green eyes.

"I-I can see?!" He asked with shock.

"Of course you can. You're in StarClan." An amused mew sounded from behind him. Mintfeather whipped around to see Dawnstar padding over to him.

"Dawnstar!" He mewed, eyes wide as he stared at his father.

"Mintfeather. You do understand that you're dead, correct?" Dawnstar asked, and the grey tom nodded.

"Good. Now, since I know you're confused, I want to show you something. Maybe then you'll realize what your heart wants." Dawnstar purred. Mintfeather frowned and stared at him with confusion.

"What do you mean? I know what my heart wants!" He mewed defensively.

"Mintfeather, if you keep lying to yourself, you can never be fully happy." Dawnstar mewed gently, staring at him with glowing amber eyes.

"Now, look down into the lake. Your heart's desires will unravel themselves to you and you will find the answers you've been searching for your whole life." He mewed, touching his paw to the water when Mintfeather stared down into the water, making ripples that started to shimmer and glow, illuminating.

Mintfeather's eyes stared down into the water as darkness swirled around him.