Chapter 9:

Mintpaw awoke to the scent of fresh vole and licked his lips when he raised his head. He bent his head down to take a bite out of the piece of prey that was placed by his paws and purred with content when he swallowed the mouthful.

"Glad to see you're finally awake." A muffled mew sounded in front of him, and the familiar scent of Thrushpaw wafted into Mintpaw's nose. He lifted his head and flicked his tail as the brown tom purred, carrying a large mouse in his jaws.

"Did you catch this for me?" Mintpaw asked. Thrushpaw dropped the mouse and nodded his head.

"Yeah. Your stomach was growling when I woke up, so I went to get you something to eat." He mewed bashfully. Mintpaw felt his ear tips heat up from embarrassment and started cleaning his paws.

"Thank you." He mewed softly. Thrushpaw purred and picked up the mouse he had caught.

"We should be getting back to camp." He mewed around the mouse. Mintpaw nodded and stretched before padding out of the hole under the roots of the tree with Thrushpaw leading the way.

"Wait! I want to gather some herbs before we return." Mintpaw mewed, flicking his tail at Thrushpaw. "We might need some for when Lightfoot gives birth. From what I've heard, she's close to kitting." He mewed. Thrushpaw nodded his head and followed after Mintpaw. Once they had gathered some herbs, they started walking back to camp, where they were greeted in many different ways.

"Thrushpaw! You're alright!" Robinpaw yowled, tackling him to the ground. Pricklenose rushed to Thrushpaw and started fussing over him like a mother would do her kit, checking to see if he was alright. Larkpool did the same for Mintpaw, who was standing still with shock.

"Where have you been?! Are you two alright?!" Larkpool mewed. Darkpaw padded over and stared at Thrushpaw with wide emerald eyes.

"You're ok!" She cheered. Nightshade padded over to Thrushpaw and glared down at him.

"What were you doing?! You've wasted a whole day of training! And for what?!" He hissed. Thrushpaw dropped his mouse and stared up at his father defiantly.

"There was going to be a storm and I went to get Mintpaw, who had went out of camp! I was just looking out for him!" He mewed defensively.

"That's not your job to do." Nightshade hissed. Mintpaw felt anger bubble within him and he rounded on Nightshade.

"If Thrushpaw didn't come after me, I would be dead and you'd be down one medicine cat." He growled angrily.

"What do you mean?" Dawnstar asked, tilting his head to the side.

"I fell into the river. I would've drowned if Thrushpaw didn't follow me and drag me out." He mewed, flicking his tail. "And even if I had gotten out of the river, I would be drenched and freezing! Thrushpaw knew of a warm and dry place to take shelter in while we waited for the storm to stop!" Mintpaw added. Thrushpaw shuffled his paws with embarrassment when everyone turned to stare at him.

"That still doesn't explain why you two came back at sunhigh." Nightshade pointed out. Mintpaw flicked his ears and turned to Thrushpaw.

"Is it really that late?" He asked.

"Yeah. I went out hunting and only caught a mouse and a vole. Then we went to go collect herbs when Mintpaw woke up. And after we finished that we had to trek all the way back here." Thrushpaw mewed. Mintpaw nodded his head.

"Well, they were being productive. I don't think a punishment should be given." Dawnstar mewed, nodding at Thrushpaw. He dipped his head down to whisper into the apprentice's ear. "Thank you for looking out for my son." He purred and padded away with Larkpool by his side. Pricklenose purred and looked down at Thrushpaw with pride.

"You did well." She mewed. Thrushpaw purred and let out a yelp when Robinpaw tackled him again.

"Mintpaw, come help me sort these herbs!" Mintpaw heard Speckledfern call and turned to pad into the medicine den.

"Thank you Thrushpaw. For everything." He mewed softly. Thrushpaw looked up from where he was laying on the ground and purred.

"Anything for you, Mintpaw." Mintpaw felt his heart flutter in his chest before he padded into the den.