thirty-one:: when he cheers you on.

Start from the beginning

"About?" Andy questioned, "I told you we didn't have to-"

"Not that." I assured. When we were on the field it was all about the game and I chose to keep that and my personal problems separate. Scratching the back of my neck, I looked over at our goalie who averted his gaze almost instantly, looking back at the ground. His low confidence was shining through and I knew it was because of our fail at tea leaching him the position. "I've been working with Casey... I feel like we should put Ryland back as goalie."

Casey visibly flinched and I was aware of how I couldn't be worded my sentence differently. It sounded like I was cutting him and Andy must've taken it that way as he automatically shook his head, "We can't. You gotta get this kid to learn, J, we can't just have somebody play mid."

I struggled with my confidence but I was sure of this, I knew this kid could do it if he really tried. Maybe if we got more motivated and more in touch with his actual skill, is be able to pull a win from him, "I was thinking he could play mid."

Andy's eyes went wide, "What?"

Even Casey wasn't sure, eyes pleading with me when I'd looked back over at him; he wasn't sure of himself. "Captain, I-"

"He's fast. Like, really fast. He can do this." I continued to push because I knew that if I were in that position, I'd appreciate it. This was what was best for the team and surely what was best for Casey to prove himself just as Ryland had and T had and Andy had and I had.

I was sure he had to prove himself when Andy shook his head as if dismissing the idea. "He's new."

"And he can bring something to the team." Waving him over, I watched as he jogged towards us. He was around my height, lips set in a tight line and he was taken back. He had a dumbfounded look on his face as he fidgeted under Andy's gaze. "Look, you haven't given him a chance. You've seen him run laps; you know he's good."

Andy sighed and I could see the gears turning in his head and be looked around before catching eyes with the boy beside me and staring him down, "You can do this?"

"Uh, y-yes, captain." He looked as if he were sweating and more than before.

And Andy being Andy had to test his confidence, quirking an eyebrow as he nearly stared into the boy's soul, "You don't sound too sure. Are you sure?"

"Yes, Captain." His voice didn't shake and I smiled.

"Okay," turning towards me, my co-captain kept his distance. We were attempting to let the dating thing die down a bit -at least in the team- until no one paid attention anymore. Especially now that I was in a relationship, I didn't want to draw anymore attention towards me and Andy, not wanting Paul to ask about it again, "go ask Coach; I'll start practice and then when you're done, we should talk to the guys."

: : :

I felt nervous, my lips glued together as if made my way into Coach's office. The bald man was sitting behind his desk, glasses perched on his neck as he read over some papers. I didn't want to disturb him but I needed to confirm the new arrangement and we had to start practice as quick as possible. Leaning back on his door, I concentrated my eyes on my bag in the corner. "Hey, Coach?"

"Douglas." He hadn't even looked up as he called my name and I stood straight up, feeling the weight of my suggestion on me. Blinking, I attempted to boost my confidence, I was co-captain. I had to get everything ready.