24: You Told Me You Loved Me, So Why Did You Go Away?

Hehe, OK...well I hope some of you are gonna enjoy this chapter *cough* MrsEfron1 *cough*. When I wrote this, I was kind of thinking of the song sang by that lady in Luhrmann's Romeo and Juliet when Leonardo DiCaprio meets Claire Danes in front of the fish tank. Some of y'all will know that scene (Ruby, Maddie, Maxie, Hannah, Jess, Holly, Aileen...) I honestly don't blame Juliet for wanting to marry Leonardo at 14... I would too,tbh. Buuttt....I used Last Kiss by Taylor Swift for this one. It's probably one of my favorite songs right now. <3 its so sweet

Anyway, hope you enjoy this JessexBethany scene!

XX Tootles, Pixie

_________________________________________________________________________________

‘Thanks!’ I say as my piano teacher, Ann, hands the piano sheet music to Haunted by Taylor Swift to me. ‘Thank...you,’ I say, reading through the six pages of bar-lines, clefs, notes, time signatures and expressive techniques.

‘You’re welcome, so...did you want to do the singing part to this or not?’ She asks me, taking one of the pages and examining the soprano vocal part.

‘Oh, um...no, I can’t really sing.’ I tell her, blushing deep red. Every time I try to sing in front of people, I just somehow bail out and it then always sounds terrible. I want to be able to sing, my Mom says I can sing, but I don’t know how to sing in front of anyone but myself.

‘Nonsense, I’ve heard you, you almost always carry out a tune when you hum the song to yourself,’ she tells me. Her strange blue explosion eyes staring into mine. ‘I think we should give it a go but just learn the song first.’

‘Yeah, good idea,’ I say and Ann folds her glasses and slips them in a glasses case. She stands up and slings her red bag over her shoulder before walking herself to the front door.

‘I’ll see you next week,’ she says.

‘Bye, have a nice week,’ I say and she walks out, closing the door and waving behind her.

I look at the piano sheet music. My teacher, Ann had been on a holiday for her son’s wedding in Paris so she’d been away for a while now but she’d only just got back to Santa Monica recently.

I slide the music onto the stand on the piano and slide into the chair. I examine the first chord. It’s a broken chord, Dminor I strike that chord and then play the next quaver after, D minor with a Bb It repeats that a few times until it changes to F major and C major, it does that a few times before flicking to the verse...

I hum the tune. 

I hear the doorbell faintly ring and I stand up and make my way to the front door, seeing the silhouette of someone leaning up against the wall.

I open the door and his familiar face comes into view.

‘Beth, I—’

I cut Jesse off by slamming the door shut.

‘Beth, please! We need to talk, this ignoring and disregarding thing isn’t going to end up solving the problem!’ He calls through the door.

As much as I don’t want to believe Jesse, I know he’s right. I’d been ignoring him for the past fortnight. Going as my usual business and trying to block Jesse and Paris out of my mind all together.

‘Beth!’ he calls out.

I slam my palms against the white painted wood. ‘Go away!’ I yell. Jesse falls silent.

‘Can you just hear me out?!’ he calls.

‘No!’ I yell, feeling my eyes starting to sting again. I lean up against the door and press my face into the crook of my arm. ‘Just go away, Jesse!’