Chapter 62: Like It Or Not

I wake up to Carisi shaking me a little. "C'mon baby." He shakes me again when I ignore him.

"Your parents are gonna get pissed at us." I feel him lay back down next to me. I still don't respond, feeling extremely exhausted and heavy. He kisses the side of my head, over exaggerating the kissie noises in an attempt to annoy me.

I groan, "ugh. I'm up." I sit up with my eyes still closed.  

"Come on, let me take you home before work." He kisses my cheek before leaving his room.

I put on the basketball shorts he gave me last night and gather my stuff before we head out.

When we get to my house he walks me to my door. "I don't think I'll see you before you leave." He says.

"Oh... Yeah." I sigh. I wrap my arms around him, hugging him tight. Taking in his scent and the way he feels. "I'll miss you." I fake a smile.

"I know." He chuckles, putting his hand on my cheek. "I'll miss you too. A lot." He kisses me before sighing. "Be safe. Please."

"Always." I nod with promise.

He presses his lips to my forehead. "I love you."

"Love you too." I nod, trying not to be sad. I don't like saying good bye to people. Temporary or not, it just sucks not being around those you love the most.

Carisi's POV

"So how'd your date go?" Amaro asks as he fills out the rest of his paperwork.

"Good. She loved it." I can't help the lame smile on my face.

"Woah," he puts down his pencil with a surprised look on on his face. "D-did you? Carisi did you-?"

I realize what he's trying to ask before he finishes. "Hey!" I stop him before he could even go on. "First of all, that's none of your business. And second, who do you think I am man? She's seventeen. We barely started being together... In that way."

"Awww, Carisi-"

"Shut it Maro. I'm not messing up this relationship, aight? I love her, and I'm not gonna treat her like every other fuckboy would."

"Damn." I turn around to see Natasha Romanoff, Steve and Stark... Natasha's arms are crossed and she has a smirk on her face. "No wonder she likes him so much."

"What are you guys doing here?" I ask standing up to shake their hands.

"We need to talk." Steve says with a hint of concern in his voice.

"About your girlfriend." Natasha adds.

Maddie's POV

"Why is that we're only now finding out about this?!" Dad is red in the face.

I literally came downstairs, suitcase and bags ready and they had absolutely no idea what I was doing.

"I thought Steve told you!!!" I raise my voice to match theirs.

"You are not going!" Mom points her finger at me. "You have school in a week and it's your senior year for christ's sake!"

"School?! Yeah right! You know I can get my work and you let me miss school all the time."

"Of course it's not only about school! We know how dangerous all of this is, we saw the videos the court presented."

I groan, seriously? They're gonna make a big deal outta that.

"Who's to say the same thing won't happen? What if you become so dangerous, that you have to be put down? Or what if Loki manipulates you again? Or what if-"

"SO?!? I was built to deal with all of that! You can't just expect me to live a normal life anymore. I was given these powers for a reason, and dealing with all of this is part of it."

"Maddie, you're not going and that's final." Dad stands up about to leave

"NO. I'm going whether you like it or not. My team needs me!!!"

"THEY'RE NOT YOUR TEAM. THEY'RE PROFESSIONALS. YOU ARE STILL A CHILD. THEY CAN DEAL WITH THIS ON THEIR OWN." Mom has pulled out her strict, teacher's voice.

I take a long, deep breath. "I am going, no matter what you say. We have to find the Tesseract, and the only way that's possible is if I help."

"It's too dangerous." My dad repeats, obviously stressed out.

"I will be in the line of danger my whole life. Might as well get used to it and let me train. The ship is the perfect place for me to do that, okay?"

My dad shakes his head, "you're not a superhero."

"I don't care." I scoff. "Hero or not, I'm gonna help."

My parents think for a while before they accept it, telling me that they'll take me to the jet. The whole car ride we discuss school. How my mom is gonna send me my homework and that I better be getting good grades when I come back.

We get to the jet finding the team loading their luggage on board. I hug my parents, telling them I'll keep in touch and promising that I'll be safe. Watching them drive off low key did make me sad... Parents are annoying, but you still need them. And a month is such a long time.

"Ready?" I ask as I put my bag down. I open it up, double checking I have my absolute necessities. Phone, charger, headphones. Yup. I hear walking up the ramp, assuming it's the last of my team.

"We are now." I hear... Carisi? I quickly turn around to see Carisi putting luggage onnthe ground.

"Wait.." I look back at Cap and Tony, seeing their smirks and smiles. "No way!!" I scream. I run up to Carisi and wrap my arms around his torso. "You're coming?"

"Yes ma'am."

"Why?" I ask. "Not that I don't want you to! Just.. Why?"

He looks at the team behind me before answering. "... I uh, well, your team pulled some strings with the precinct, y'know so I could.. Look after you."

I scoff, "I don't need a body guard.. But I don't mind one."