Chapter 54: Supreme Court, Defense

When we come back from the recess, I expect the first person to be called up is me. "The defense would like to call Dominick Carisi." Oh.

Dominick goes up, and I just watch him as he clenches his jaw, rolls his neck, shrugging his shoulders. Man he's... Wow.

He looks at me for a split second before looking at Barba, ready for his question.

"So officer Carisi, you've worked with Maddie before?"

"A million times." He answers, a small smile threatens to form but he purses his lips to hide it. I caught him though.

"And in all your time with her did she ever have bad intentions towards her community?"

"No. Never. Everything she's ever done is from good intentions. Wanting to help and save people."

"And when she froze the doors...?"

"She did that because she thought that was right, because she wanted to make sure everyone stayed inside while Loki was there. It was actually a really smart move."

"Right. Last question: is Maddie a threat to this society, officer Carisi?"

"No." His eyes move, meeting mine. "She may have crazy, extraordinary powers that people aren't used to. But she also has a good heart. You take her from the society... You're losing a hero."

My eyes a brimmed with tears when I blink they drop. Gr-freaking-eat, he made me cry.

"Thank you, officer." Barba nods.

Rita stands, "ooookay. So, Mr. Carisi, you know so much about Ms. Maddie, because you've worked with her for so long?"

"Yes." He nods, now leaning against the stand next to him.

"Are you sure it's not because of your.. Personal relationship with her?" She puts an emphasis on personal. Lol.

"I'm sorry?" His eyebrows narrow.

"Your personal relationship with her. Your... Intimate relationship?" Oh god. "Is that not why you know her so well?"

"Ummm... Well..." He kinda just looks at Barba for a second before shaking his head. I can tell he's debating a lie, but he has to tell the truth. "Yes. I know her so well, because I have a personal relationship with her. Working together, only showed me how helpful she is. But spending hours on end with her, learning everything about her and what she thinks... I KNOW she's a good person, and you should all know that too." Man I love him. It takes so much in me not to just go up there and hug him.

"Touching." Rita scoffs. "But, wouldn't your personal relationship, blind your perspective??? Make you favor all she does?"

"No, I don't believe so."

"But I'm sure others do. No further questions."

Carisi comes down and I start to get myself ready for my turn.

"We call Theo Raeken to the stand." Barba says.

Uhhhh.

Theo goes up and I look at him, eyebrows narrowed but he ignores it. I look back to see McCall, jaw dropped, eyes filled with confusion. Guess I'm not the inly confused one right now.

"Mr. Raeken, could you please explain how you know Ms. Maglalang?"

"She, uh... I work in the same department as detective McCall. I came on board for the investigation and met her the day she was arrested."

"What was your first impression when you met her?"

"Nice. Quiet... Not what I expected."

"And what did you expect?"