Chapter 11: Nightmare

"It's dangerous. I don't want you to get hurt again." Carisi has his hands on his hips while I sit on the bed as if he was lecturing me. "You can't."

Cap kinda caught me off guard with the "wanna help?" question. I wasn't able to give a straight answer so they're giving me until tomorrow night so they can make their plans. We watched a movie, ate dinner then CJ left. And now here I am in my room, listening to Carisi tell me why I shouldn't help them.

"I know it's dangerous Carisi." I grab his hand and pull him to sit beside me. "I'm thinking about it okay?"

"You shouldn't have to think about it. Everything is fine now."

"That's the thing, it should be fine, but something doesn't feel right... I don't know what he did, but it scared the shit out of me. And I don't know if I can shake this feeling until they catch him."

"They will."

"I need to see it, I need to be there." I sigh.

"What if you get hurt?" He takes my bruised arm and starts tracing the ugly purple hand mark Loki left. He barely touches my skin to avoid giving me pain. "I mean, this is the worst bruise I've ever seen someone get."

"He could've done worse." I'm reminded of the horrible headaches, head bashes, arm grabs I endured today. My body feels weak still and my headaches have subsided.

"And you just proved my point." He chuckles and I join him.

"You suck." I lean my forehead against his arm.

"Nah, you know you love me." He says and I gasp lightly. I move my head off his arm and we just look at each other. I try to say something, I want to... But he caught me so off guard. How am I supposed to reply to that?

I love Carisi. I really do, but that's in a best friend way. I don't know if I love, love him yet. Maybe a little, but I'm not sure. And I don't know how he feels either. That's a part of the reason I won't let myself fall for him, I'm scared he won't feel the same way.

He chuckles when he realizes I didn't take his joke as a joke. "Go get ready for bed, you've had a long day."

"Are you sleeping over?"

"Do you want me to?" He smirks, already knowing the answer.

"No." I lie.

"Okay, I will." He kisses my forehead and I roll my eyes.

I do my night routine before saying goodnight to the Avengers and head back upstairs. Carisi's already in his sleeping clothes, laying down, scrolling through his phone. I plop onto the bed next to him, fold my arms on the pillow and look at his beautiful side profile.

"Staring isn't nice."

"It is for me." I say and he raises his eyebrows with a cocky smirk. "I'm joking."

"Mmhhhm. How are you feeling?" He puts his phone to the side and props himself up on his elbow.

"I really don't know... Just sleepy." I sigh and close my eyes. "Can you do my back?"

"Of course." He scoffs, and turns off the light before I feel him lay back down. My shirt is lifted off my back and his fingers run up and down my back. Drawing patterns and shapes. Instantly causing me to fall asleep.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

"Loki PLEASE I'll do ANYTHING." I beg, grabbing his arm. "J-just let them go PLEASE." Tears stream down my face and my heart is racing.

"You have given me no choice." He rips his arm from me.

I look at the them. Everyone I love. My family and my best friends. Their eyes desperate and terrified, not sure about what's happening.

"I'll do whatever you say. Please." I plead softly. Trying to get him to feel bad for me and let them go. It's worked before. But something feels different about this time.

"I've given you too many chances." His scepter appears in his hand. "If this is the only thing that will wake you up, then so be it."

"No, no, no, no." I sob. I begin to control some water from a vase and move it onto the scepter. I freeze it, but a blue blast destroys the ice.

Loki doesn't even look at me, he steps towards my loved ones and I step in front of him. "Loki STOP. Please, please please." I put my hand on his chest and bring myself as close to him as I can. He looks down at me with his blue eyes and I look up at him, pleading with my eyes for him to stop his madness. "I'm sorry, this won't happen again. I'll stay with you. I'll do whatever. I'm yours. I'm yours. I'm yours." I spit out whatever comes to mind.

"I would love to believe you. But this has gone on far too long." He spits.

I put my hand behind my back and try to raise a rock wall, but Loki only realizes it. He grabs my hand and shakes his head. "Say goodbye." He turns me and I look at them all. My jaw open, my brain is jumbled and I have no idea what to say or do.

"Don't do this Loki." I hiss through my teeth and turn back at him. "You're gonna regret this."

"I don't believe I will." He throws me to the side on the ground harshly. He points the scepter towards them all and it begins to glows. A blue flash corrupts my vision and I scream.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

"LOKI NO." I scream and sit up. "No, no, no, NO." I thrash the blankets off me and continue to scream.

"Woah, hey, hey." Someone grabs my hands in an attempt to make me stop thrashing around like crazy.

"No! No! LOKI PLEASE, STOP." I yell trying to get away from the grip.

"Maddie, Maddie! It's me. It's Dominick." The person says and the name immediately calms me. "Open your eyes." Carisi's grip on my hands loosen when I stop trying to get away from him. I open my eyes to a pair of familiar blue ones and sigh in relief when I realize it really is him. I put my head in the crook of his neck and cry.

"God you're shaking." He puts his arm around my waist and rubs my back with the other.

The door whips open causing me to flinch and whimper. I bring myself closer to Carisi and he holds me tighter.

"WHERE'S LOKI?" Cap has his shield in his hand.

"He's not here." Risi answers for me. "She was dreaming."

I see Clint and Tony let out a sigh of relief. Clint with his bow in his hand and Tony part of his armor on his hand. "Sorry, for waking you guys." I sniffle and they all give me a look of understanding.

"It's okay kid." Clint rubs his eyes. "You had a rough day." He walks out to go back to sleeping.

"How is your fire?" Steve asks. I put my hand out toward them and a flame appears. Bigger than before, but not how it used to be. "It's coming back, you're gonna be fine."

I sigh into Carisi's neck and he moves his neck from irritation. I remember he was ticklish and sensitive at his neck, oops.

"Thanks guys."

"Take care of her." Tony points at Risi and walks out.

"You're safe, Maddie." Steve smiles, showing pity for me in his face. "Sleep tight." He closes the door behind him.

Sweat drips down the back of my neck and my breathing is rigid. "Do you wanna talk about it?" Carisi asks.

I take my head off his shoulder and look at him. I'm reminded of the dream, causing me to cry even more. I shake my head, refusing to relive it.

"It's okay." He puts his hands on my cheeks and wipes the tears away. "Fuck, I hate him." I can tell he's referring to Loki. "Okay. Well you need sleep."

"I'm scared." I whisper and his eyes sadden.

"I know. But I'm here." He kisses my forehead. "C'mon." He lays down and pulls me with him. I rest my head on his chest and his hand goes back to rubbing my back. My eyes close and slowly drift to sleep. "I'm here."