Chapter 9

Prim POV

I woke up to Rue poking me. I didn't realize that I had fallen asleep. I was going to ask her when i fell asleep but she put her hand over my mouth. She pointed down. There the careers stood right below our tree.

"I want to kill someone," said Marvel. "What about those 12 year old girls?" asked Glimmer.

My heart sank, they were right underneath us wanting to kill us. I was preparing my self to die.

"You mean those dweebs," said Cato. They all laughed. "Hey look up there!" said Clove.

I quickly dodged behind the tree trunk on another branch. But Rue stayed staring right into their eyes.

"Well that was convenient," said Marvel. "Where is the other one?" spat Clove.

"Look she is to scared to even speak," said Glimmer. They all laughed as Clove started opening a backpack on Marvels shoulders. She took out throwing knifes.

I whispered to Rue to climb, but she did not move. I knew what I was about to do would give a way my hiding spot, but I needed to do it if I wanted to save my friend.

I quickly grabbed Rue and pulled her to my branch . Suddenly Rue snapped out of whatever coma she was in. I told her to leave from jumping tree to tree which I could not do. She said that she didn't want to leave me.

Just then the careers came around to the side of the truck where I was hiding. I shouted at Rue to go. She left swinging from tree to tree. She shouted that she will come back. I doubt it though. I started to climb up and quick. By now Clove was throwing knifes at me. One hit my backpack causing me to go faster. Soon I was too high for them to reach me with a knife.

I was up there till dark. Nobody died today. Cato was on night duty. He soon fell asleep though. I knew it would make to much noise if I were to climb down so I attempted to jump to the next tree. I missed the branch I was aiming for and fell to a low branch. I was in so much pain.

The noise caused all the careers to wake up. At first they looked at where I used to be. I knew that was my only time to start climbing up the tree.

Soon the careers realized I was gone and started to look around. I dodged behind many branches and tree trunks. Somehow they could not find me.

"Where did that brat go?" asked Glimmer. "Let's just go," said Marvel. "We can not just abandon all our work" said Cato. "I said let's go," said Marbel. They all left.

I was free to go but I was still terrified of them coming back. Plus Rue said she would be back. So I went and got water form the lake went back to the tree and there I saw Thresh and Rue.