Chapter 2

(Katniss POV)

I walked up into the line that takes your blood. When we got there I could tell Prim didn't want to have her finger pricked. "It's ok Prim," I said. She started crying but she put out her finger.

After, we had been divided into age groups so I had to leave Prim. As usual Effie Tricket came on stage and gave her speech. Then she got to the raffle part. "Ladies first," she said. She drew out a paper, she took her sweet time unfolding it. The anticipation was building inside of me I was screaming inside my head for her to open it up. "Primrose Everdeen!" She shouted so every one could here.

My heart stopped. All the girls in the eleven age group looked at her. Effie told her to go up on to the stage. I knew she would not last a second in the games. Reality started fading I knew I was fainting or something so I had to say it before I fainted. "I volunteer as tribute!" I shouted as best as I could and then it went dark.

(Prim POV)

I started to walk up to the stage when I heard Katniss yell, "I vol-," then I saw her faint. I knew that she was going to volunteer for me but I couldn't let her do that anyways. I walked up to the stage when Effie finished her speech. The male tribute that had been picked was Peeta Malark. We were escorted out of the town square and into a room were I would say my last good byes.