25: Doing it Wrong

Start from the beginning

“I’m going to pass on your offer.”

I’d barely gotten the words out when he opened his mouth to but in. “Why?” he demanded to know.

“I didn’t become friends with your brother so he’d shield me from school drama-“

“No; it was because of Kale,” Matthew haughtily corrected me. The pointed look he threw my way as he relaxed back in his seat made me want to shrink away.

It wasn’t that I didn’t like Jakeson; I did. But his brother was right; if it hadn’t been for Kale I never would have been his friend. There was no way that he could have known my original reasons for dating Jakeson, a fact I reminded myself as I tried to muster up a reply. “Yeah, well,” I mumbled out an excuse, “it just kinda happened.”

“Like dating my brother just kinda happened?”

“Hey-“

“Or holding Skylar’s hand just-“

“I get it,” I silenced Matthew with a glare, flicking him on the forehead to shut him up. As usual he grimaced, swatting away my hand halfheartedly. “I’m socially challenged, all right? When it comes to this whole highscool game . . .” I sighed, “I just want to be left out.”

“Because you were homeschooled?”

“What?”

Matthew took in my bewildered look for a second before laughing. “Was it supposed to be a secret?” he teased, the humor lost on me.

“I wasn’t-“

“You’re in advanced classes,” his expression changed; as though presenting me with evidence, “you’re no good at making friends, you don’t understand rivals or gossip-“

My hand clamped over his mouth and it stopped him instantly. The weird burning in my cheeks was out of embarrassment, yet I had a feeling the blush was the only thing that had stopped Matthew from avoiding my hand. Seeing me riled up was enough. He knew when to call it quits. Usually. “I just admitted I’m socially challenged,” I huffed, pulling my hand away, “you don’t need to rub it in.”

Matthew smirked, his lips lifting at the edges as his eyes sparkled almost daringly. I knew that look. “I could-“

“Where did you hear I was homeschooled?” I interrupted whatever it was he’d been about to say. That grumpy little frown was adorable, and I had the urge to pinch his cheeks. Despite the fact I knew he could be a little devil he was undeniably cute. He was what I imagined a younger version of Jakeson might be like, though they’d both probably kill me for thinking it.

As if reading my mind an irritated look came to his face and he crossed his arms over his chest. “I’m not allowed to know?” he seemed to accuse me with those blue eyes of his.