Chapter 7

Syed walked into the house. A gust of curry air filled his senses as he entered. The house was warm and inviting to him. Even though he was a stranger it felt like he was home. He slid his shoes off by the front door before walking through their living room. Warda said she would be back. She had to use the washroom.
"Don't take too long. Dinner will be ready soon." Her mom scolded her. Syed looked around the living room. Awards filled the walls. He saw a picture with Warda and the senator. She was holding an award for outspoken word. He sneered as he carried on.
"What do you do in your free time?" Her father asked him.
"I move around." Syed answered.
"No. I mean specifically. What do you do?" Her father putting emphasis on the question. Syed sat on the floor and looked directly at her father.
"I am known for martial arts."
"And education wise?" Her father asked. Typical Desi. Syed thought to himself.
"I do what I have to in order to pass."
"Don't you want a future?"
Syed gripped his hands together. His veins popping out of its place as his pulse increased.
"Intelligence and future isn't defined by a piece of paper saying you took some courses and knew some books."
"But in this country it means a lot doesn't it?" Both of them were now staring each other in the eye. Syed was ready to hit him.
"Are you saying you rely in this paper more than the one who created the tree for this paper to be?" Syed asked.
"Allah gives a gift. Why not use it and appreciate it?" Her father asked.
"The gift of understanding should be used as he wants it. To further the deen. Not further your dunya and destroy your aakhirah." Syed said.
"Relax my son. I was only asking. But clearly you have knowledge in Islam. So do enlighten me sometime?"
"Is that your way of saying I should come back?" Syed sneered as Warda came back.
Syed got up and walked over to her.
"Took you long enough." He mumbled. She gave a small smile as her mom called them for dinner. As they ate Warda's brother kept looking at Syed.
"Is something on my face?" Syed asked.
"No.... Why do you have those lines?"
"I got hurt."
"How?"
"An accident." As Syed remembered the man who cut his cheek. Leaving the visible scar.
"Did it hurt?" Everyone was now looking at Syed. As if he held the answer to the meaning of life.
"Yes. But don't you go getting one."
"He gets bullied in school." The mom said. Syed nodded his head.
"If anyone bugs you tell your sister. I'll sort them out." He said as he returned his attention to his food.
When they finished eating Syed said thanks before heading home.