Chapter 12: Sweet Dreams Timaeus

Karkat wakes up the next morning, the light shining down on him. You'd somehow managed to fall asleep at some point, clinging to Karkat's hips. He turns around so he's facing you and kisses you awake. Blinking up at him, you smile and peck his lips. "That's a nice way to wake up," you mutter, still half asleep.
The troll smiles back at you, purring. "Isn't it?"
"The best." You slowly sit up, stretching. Karkat holds out his arms, motioning for you to lay back down with him. You comply and fall on his chest, smiling wide.
His fingers run through your hair as he sighs, "This is perfect..."
With a nod, you rest your head on Karkat's chest. "Sad it won't stay that way for long..."
His smile falters a little. "Unfortunately..."
You run your hand up and down Karkat's chest, closing your eyes. "At least we will have the memory." He shivers and purrs louder, nodding as you hum and try to fall back asleep.
"We have another hour to spend together just so you're aware..." Karkat murmurs in your ear.
You open your eyes and looks up at him. "Only an hour?"
He nods. "Yes, about an hour." You lean up and kiss him gently, trying to make up for not waking sooner. He happily kisses back, wrapping his arms around your neck. The two of you spend the next hour savoring each other's company.

~

While Karkat is with Kanaya getting ready, Dirk approaches you in the hall with a small smile. "Good morning..."
You freeze, blinking at Dirk. "Uh, hello. Good morning."
"Are you... Are you still willing to be my best man?" He asks, almost timidly.
You nod slowly, attempting to process Dirk's sudden change in mood. "Yeah, sure."
"Good. I know we both really want you there," he says, smiling softly.
"You want me there?" you ask as you raise an eyebrow.
Dirk frowns. "David you're my brother. Of course I do."
"Alright. I'm just making sure. I'd be more than happy to."
A moment later, Karkat walks out in his tux and Dirk's eyes immediately light up. "You look amazing, you know." You offer him a smile and give him a thumbs up from behind your brother.
Karkat smiles, mostly to you, and takes his hand. "Are you ready?" Dirk asks him.
The small prince smiles weakly. "As I'll ever be..."
Dirk turns to you and hands you the rings. "We don't have a ring bearer, so could you do that honor too?"
You nod, taking the rings. "Of course," you reply with a light smile. He hugs you tightly, muttering his thanks before letting go. Karkat's father walks over and kisses his son's temple before turning to Dirk and walking out with him, waiting for Karkat at the altar. You smile at him. "Are you nervous?"
He sighs shakily. "A little... I'm dedicating everything to him... My life... My love... My happiness... It'll be in his hands. It's a lot to take in..."
"He'll treat you right," you say with certainty. "I know it."
He smiles weakly "I know... He's a good man..."
Your father walks over and smiles at the two of you. "Hello, Prince Karkat. Are you ready?" Karkat nods and your father motions for you to go wait with your brother. You nod at him and make your way to the altar, taking a moment to glance back at Karkat. Dirk takes the rings from you and sets them on the pillow you'd been given which was also holding the crowns. As Karkat walks down the aisle with your father, you stand back, watching them. The ceremony is fairly uneventful. It's difficult for you to watch. It only takes minutes to get through the opening statements done by the priest, but it feels like an hour. You would be bored, but you've been staring at Karkat the whole time and really, you can't be bored while staring at Karkat. His gaze often fell on you, though you can tell he tried to focus on Dirk. You give him a smile every time he does, though it's a bit sad.
Finally, the time comes for the declaration of consent and, when he's asked, Karkat glances over at you sadly before looking up to Dirk and forcing a smile, "I do." You look down, digging your nails into your palm.
When the question is then turned to Dirk, however, he hesitates a long moment before glancing back at you, then meeting Karkat's eyes. "I... I can't."
You look up immediately, eyes wide. "What?"
"I said I can't..." He says in a much weaker voice. You can find no words, so you stay silent, waiting for him to explain. "You don't think I've noticed it...? He couldn't even look at me when he said 'I do'... He looked at you first... How am I supposed to be with him every day knowing that, when he looks at me, he'll really be looking for you...?" He says quietly as he looks back at you and tears up. You step forward to comfort him, but yet again find yourself speechless. You glance at Karkat, not sure what to do. He returns your dumbfounded look as Dirk sniffles and wipes his eyes, laughing sadly. "Maybe I'm selfish for wanting a love who loves me back. I suppose my title lives up to its name."
"I don't get it. Your 'title'? What does that mean?" You ask with a frown.
"Prince of Heart. Destroyer of Souls. Just as you are the Thief of Time and Karkat is the Knight of Blood."
You blink at him. "How do you know my title?"
"Because I pay attention to things." He shrugs halfheartedly.
"You haven't destroyed anyone's soul, so what are you talking about?"
"I've destroyed my own and, by the time the day is done, I'll have destroyed more than just mine. I believe all three of us will find out what our class means today."
"I don't understand." You reach out to put a hand on his shoulder. "Dirk, what are you talking about? Where did you go last night?"
"I went to see the Seer of Light to find out my future. All you need to know otherwise is that everything is going to be fine. You both mean the world to me and, because I love you both so," He picks up the wedding rings and slips one on your finger and the other on Karkat's, "I'm willing to give up my happiness, Karkat's hand," He puts a crown on each of your heads, "And my land so he can be happy."
"Dirk, stop. You sound crazy." You take the crown off.
"Maybe I am." He smiles a little, "But I'm proud to be. I just want you two to be happy, and he won't be with me."
He turns to Karkat who immediately kisses him. "You don't have to do this..." Karkat mutters against his lips.
"Yes, I do..." He pecks his lips one last time. "Be good and take care of each other... Please... Oh, and that ring you found? That was my doing. I'd bought it for you. I was going to officially propose last night because... Well... I didn't want you to look at this as an arranged marriage. I wanted you to see it as love, and I... Thought maybe it would make you love me more..."
Karkat doesn't get the chance to respond because, a moment later, the doors burst open and the Condesce waltzes in. "Well, looks like I missed the ceremony. You two already glubbin' married?"
Your brother wipes the tears from his eyes and turns to face her, drawing his sword from the scabbard on his back. "Terribly sorry to disappoint, but I don't believe you were invited."
"Good thing I didn't fuckin' ask you, bitc)(." She smirks.
You push Karkat back immediately, standing in front of him. "What are you doing here?"
She sighs and leans against the doorframe, picking at her claws. "Prince Munchkin over here chose the wrong mate." She then glances up at you. "I don't know what Dulscar's little pest paid you to do, but I could've sworn I told you to make sure this little brat married my heiress."
You stand up straighter. "Prince Munchkin chose the right mate. I made sure of it. I did what Eridan said without having to kill him. Karkat is out of the picture."
"Oh yeah? Like I'd let that little twerp marry Feferi." She grins wickedly, tightening her grip on her trident. "You think you can defy me? We'll sea about that. I gave you an order to convince that little lowblood scum to marry into the right family. Apparently Prince Pufferfish must've paid you good to go against me so he could steal away my baby. I'll teach you what happens when you turn on the goddess of this world." She snarls.
"Stop. This is between you and me. Let's make this fair and square. No powers." Dirk snaps at the two of you, glaring at the Condesce.
"No flashstepping then, bouy." She growls as she raises her trident.
"Fine" he raises his sword. You watch them, glancing at Dirk as you push Karkat back slowly. They both move as one, lunging towards each other with incredible speed. Even without flashstepping, Dirk is able to hold his ground. The entire church fills with screams of panic as the two battle. Karkat doesn't take too kindly to the fight and buries his face in your back, refusing to look for fear of seeing the downfall of his fiancé.
"Come with me," You whisper after watching more of the duel than you can stomach, grabbing his hand and pulling him away from the fight. You'd hardly moved 5 feet before the Condesce screams out in blood curdling pain. You glance back in surprise to see that she was lying on the floor with Dirk's sword sticking out of her stomach. Dirk was panting, his back turned to her with fushia splattered all over him. You loosen your grip on Karkat, looking at Dirk in relief.
"H... Hey... Bouy..." She chokes out, causing Dirk to turn around. With what little power she had remaining, she used her psiionics to lift her trident and send it flying right through Dirk's abdomen. He fell, coughing up blood as she hissed with her dying breath, "Long lives the king..." Her eyes lock on you, "P... Payback's a beach..."
Your eyes widen and, for a moment, you forget how to breathe. You immediately let go of Karkat, running over to Dirk. Karkat is instantly at his side, kneeling beside him and taking Dirk's hand in his own. "What were you thinking?! N-Never turn your back on the body!" He cries out, his voice thick with pain.
You stand over him, staring at him in pure shock. In truth, you're not sure what to do. You glance around. "We need to get help."
Dirk weakly shakes his head, "N-No... I... I get it now... Wh-What I'm meant to do... I've found it... It's like the Seer predicted... I-It was an honor to sacrifice myself-" he takes a big, shaky breath, "-for the people I love..." He coughs up more blood and weakly closes his eyes, "Just don't... L... Let it be in vain... Take care of my people... A.. And take care of Karkat..."
You kneel down beside him, starting to cry. "Dirk, I'm sorry. I'm sorry for everything..."
He smiles through his tears and weakly holds your hand. "I'm not... You'll do great... You... You'll make me proud..."
You squeeze his hand gently. "I'll try. I... I love you, brother."
"I love you, too, brother..." He smiles up at you, and then glances over at Karkat. "And I love you... A-And I forgive you... F-For everything..."
Karkat leans down and gently kisses him. "Th-Thank you, my love... F-For everything... I-I love you, too..." The two of you watch helplessly as the life leaves his eyes. You stare at him for a long while, gripping his hand as you carefully close his eyes. All of a sudden, his wrist begins to glow, a dim, pink heart appearing there. Your eyes widen a bit at the sight of it, not saying a thing as tears roll down your cheeks.
Now it was Karkat's turn to wipe them away, letting his own tears fall freely. "He fulfilled his destiny... He did what he was meant to..." You let out a shaky breath, glancing up at Karkat. "He's a god now. Just like our ancestors..."
"I..." you look back down at him. "I don't want a god... I want my brother..."
He tilts your chin up so you're looking at him. "I know... And he always will be your brother... But he's gone now... He died with a smile on his face in the arms of the ones he loved... I don't think there's any better way to go... He went with honor and dignity... He was a hero, David... That's all he could ask for..."
You shake your head, pushing Karkat's hand away. "I could've prevented it. I could've just-" You pause.
"It isn't what was meant to happen. I could see the bonds between you two. He was happy and he loved you with all his heart. He still does." Now Karkat's wrist begins to glow with his blood symbol.
You look down at Karkat's wrist. "You have one too..."
"Because I figured out my purpose," he responds. "My class sees the bonds between people. I think my purpose was to help you two see how much you meant to each other. I was meant to see how much he meant to me... How much he still means to me..."
"What..." He looks down at his wrist with no mark. "What do I do?"
"You're supposed to be the Thief of Time. You need to make some sort of revelation pertaining to time."
"There's nothing to fucking know about time besides the fact that it's so fucking horrible." You stand up. "I already know this shit. Time is fleeting or whatever." You wipe at your tears. "I keep thinking of something I can do to change this but there's nothing. I did everything right and this still happened. So what the fuck?! There was no way to rewrite this!" You begin to cry harder. "This SUCKS. Time sucks. It sucks harder than a newborn baby trying to hold a sword. Being the Thief of Time sucks because... I ruined his time here and... It couldn't have been any other way or else he'd never know his purpose... And nothing would go right... And... The time that I stole from him... It can't be rewritten..." Your hand begins to glow dimly at first, gradually becoming more vibrant than Dirk's or Karkat's. You immediately start to scratch at your wrist. "No, I don't fucking want it!"
Karkat stands, started, and grabs your wrists. "David, stop it!"
You persist, crying harder. "I don't want it, Karkat..."
"What do you expect that to prove, David?!" He snaps, trying to knock some sense in you. "I can feel your pain. I'm so keenly aware of everything you're feeling right now, just as I can feel it with everyone in the room, but you need to stop now."
You stop and look up at him. "I don't want my purpose fulfilled because my brother died..." You finally admit.
"David, I want you to tell me what you feel right now, and I don't mean sorrow. Something to do with time."
"... Content?"
"That's good, but still not exactly what I mean."
"I don't understand..."
"For example, I can sense everything. Feelings, emotions, relationships... I can sense tensions and pain and love and hate and everything from everyone. I can understand now how they feel and why they feel it. Your powers seem to be stronger than mine, so explain how it's affecting you."
"I feel..." you pause, looking uncomfortable. "I feel like some huge wave just hit and now the water is draining. And it makes me feel tired, like its draining the life out of me. "
He hesitates, "I guess that's a little closer to what I'm asking, but I suppose I'm specifically wondering if you can sense time like I can sense emotion."
You shrug meekly. "I don't know. It feels pretty much the same. Just a bit more... Tingly?"
He frowns. "I don't understand how you can't feel your powers..."
You shrug again. "I don't know... I really don't... It just feels the same... It just feels like everything is moving in slow motion... It's almost like... It's almost like I'm suspended here... And when they were fighting, I felt like I could just... Stop time so I could process everything... Maybe I could've stopped her... But, like she said, payback's a bitch..." Karkat stays silent and looks back to Dirk as both of your fathers carefully pick Dirk up. You watch with him, slipping your hand into Karkat's. They carry him out, both of them looking completely devastated. For some reason, Karkat's father seems to be taking it harder than your own. Perhaps it's because he can feel everyone else's pain along with his own. You suddenly begin to feel extremely bad for Karkat and squeeze his hand. You lean on the troll and sigh heavily. "I don't know what to do now, Karkat... Everything is so... Empty..."
He turns to look at you. "We run this place like the kings we are in his honor. We fight for peace and equality and we love each other until time stops ticking." You nod and rest your head on Karkat's shoulder. "It'll be okay... I swear... You and I will get through this together."
You begin to recall all of the good times you had with Dirk, as if a slideshow is playing in your mind. You distinctly remember chasing each other around the palace as children. The two of you used to climb to the top of the cherry trees in the palace garden, and when Dirk would praise you for reaching the top, you would bask in his approval.
During your classes, you'd pass notes to each other and cause mischief until the teacher quit and your father had to bring in a replacement. "Boys will be boys!" Your father would always say to your mother when she would scold you. Sometimes, you would skip class together and sneak into town to buy candy and toys in the marketplace. When you returned home, pockets lined with treats and trinkets, your mother would stop you at the front door and make you hand over your loot.
The day your mother died was one of the worst days of your life. Your father was never the same after that. His temper was always short and you'd always pick fights with him. As your brother would tend to the wounds left behind from your father's rage, he'd tell you the story of how your parents fell in love and how the two of you would one day do the same.
As soon as you'd seen Karkat give his very first speech, you knew you'd found that person. Of course, it was no secret that Dirk had also fancied him, but you never let it tear you apart. In fact, it brought you closer than ever for many years. You'd stay up until dawn talking about your future plans and dreams. Aside from Karkat, Dirk was the only person you'd ever told about your fantasy life. He never judged you.
Your happy life ended when Dirk was announced heir to the throne. You knew that, not only was he stealing the crown from you, but he was also stealing Karkat's hand. In order to show your defiance and to vent your rage, you decided to become an assassin. You'd begun to resent your brother from then on. That is, until you'd been given the job to assassinate the love of your life. The Condesce's heiress, Feferi, was originally to be wed to a prince by the name of Eridan. He'd offered you a pretty penny to ensure that Karkat would choose your brother rather than Feferi. However, the Condesce had already offered twice his offer to convince the landdwelling prince to do the exact opposite. You'd taken both jobs and cheated them both out of their money. It was you alone who sentenced your brother to death, and you were finally prepared to accept the blame.
With your mental slideshow finally coming to a close, you wrap your arms around Karkat's waist. "I know we will..."
The troll cuddles against you. "David, I'm sorry..."
"For?" You ask as you tighten your grip on him.
"If it wasn't for me, he'd be here..." Karkat mumbles.
"That's a lie," you reply simply in a hushed tone, hugging him close. "If it wasn't for you, I wouldn't be here."
"It isn't a lie and you know it..." He frowns, looking up at you.
"No. Everything that happened was... Supposed to happen..." You mutter, frowning.
"Like us...?"
"Everything."
Why are you frowning then...?" He asks.
"Because I just admitted that Dirk was supposed to die..." Karkat nods and stays quiet. Biting your lip, you turn him around so he's facing you. "My brother was right. You were right. You and I are going to rule this place together. We're going to be the best damn kings there ever were. I may have stolen Dirk's time, but I refuse to let him down." His eyes widen at your sudden change in attitude as you fish around in your pocket, producing the engagement your brother had originally bought. "He wanted you to have this. It was meant to signify genuine love and unity." You look up and meet Karkat's eyes. "If we want to rule the right way, we need to be bonded together, not by artificial affections, but by sheer, unadulterated love." You take his hand and get down on one knee. "I know the circumstances may not be ideal, but Dirk and I always dreamed of marrying you together. I wish Dirk was here to fulfill this with me, but I suppose I'll have to do. The truth of it all is that I love you with every fiber of my being. I'd steal all of the time in the world if it meant I was stealing it for you. You've stolen my heart, and I want you to keep it." You slip the engagement ring on his finger next to the gold ring Dirk had put there earlier. "Tell me you'll keep it forever by marrying me."
A small smile creeps its way onto his lips which form the one word you've been waiting to hear all of your life: "Yes."

~AUTHOR'S NOTE~

Hey guys! So this is pretty much the last real chapter. I fully intend of adding in an epilogue of the wedding to just kind of tie it all together, but otherwise I hope you guys enjoyed! It took a lot of dedication and patience from both myself and TeslianTyrant to get this done. We took about 3 months at least to write it and I normally spent a minimum of 4 hours editing a chapter alone. It was worth it to finally see it get done! I think I might add little epilogue chapters in Stri-Do's and Dont's soon so you can check that out if you enjoyed this. I'm also going to finish Being Karkat Vantas before I start on the fan adventure I've been waiting MONTHS to do, so if you're interested in helping out with that, let me know, too. I love you all so much and I'll see you all in the next update. Thanks!

~L3X1B1RD~