Chapter 4: Masquerade

Once Karkat manages to sneak you into his room again, he closes and locks the door behind him. You don't seem to notice, just walking over to Karkat's bed and sitting down, "Your security is horrible," you comment.
The troll rolls his eyes, going to his closet, "Equius is somewhat aware of the situation. He knows I'm am safe and am to be left alone until otherwise noted, but I'm sure he's been watching from afar."
"So he'll be watching you sleep? Isn't that a bit unnerving?" you laugh at your own joke. You're nice enough to take your boots off before getting in bed this time.
He looks over at you and smirks, "Oh? And what would that make you? You've watched me in my sleep on more than one occassion, have you not?"
You get flustered but hide it well, "Oh. Well, I'm...uh," Or not, "I'm a very dedicated assassin," you finally manage.
He snorts and shakes his head, rummaging through his clothes, "So I've noticed."
You watch him carefully, "what are you doing?"
"Looking for sleepwear. I cant sleep in this. It's too uncomfortable as it is," he stops and glances over at you, "Would you like me to find you something?"
"No, thank you. I'm fine," you reply as you begin taking your clothes off.
The troll finds his clothes and turns to you, dropping said clothes and staring with a red face, "Wh-What are you doing?"
You stand in your shirt and pants, "Getting ready to go to bed," you say simply as you pull your shirt off.
The troll looks away, flustered, "R-Right. Of course..." He hesitates before beginning to strip of his shirt. The only thing you keep on is your pants, folding your clothes and keeping them to the side. Once the prince is stripped to his undergarments, he slips on his night clothes and carefully folds the ones he was just wearing. He puts them in a stack on his dresser before sitting on the edge of his bed.
"Is this the first time you've ever had anyone stay over?" You ask, raising an eyebrow.
His ears lower in embarrassment, "Oh, don't say it like that..." The troll sighs and nods, pulling back the blanket and turning out his lamp, "Is it not yours?"
"Technically, yes. It is," you crawl in beside him, wrapping your arms around him. You can feel his heart skip a beat as he lays beside you. Sighing in content, you bury your face in the trolls hair, breathing in the sweet scent of strawberries and flowers. It's enticing, actually.
Theres a long moment of silence before he speaks up again, "You never told me about your dream life."
"It's not as nice as yours," you mutter, nuzzling against him.
"I'd still like to know..." he turns around so he's facing you.
You stare at his face for a moment, contemplating before finally speaking, "I want to be a doctor. I want to help others. I want to go to work every morning knowing that I'm going to be saving someone's life, or at least make it easier for them. And I don't want it to be because of my status or blood, but because I actually studied it and made a reputation for myself. Maybe live in a small home in the kingdom, with my significant other. I'd like that."
He smiles softly and muses, "Maybe I'd meet my true love while in the hospital for strained vocal chords instead of the theater."
You feel your face heat, "Maybe I'd meet my true love in my office as one of my patients. Maybe he even adores my work," you crack a smile.
His smile slowly falters, "Maybe my true love's brother who works as a mechanic would swoop in and steal me away against my will while fixing the lighting onstage..."
You brush some of the hair from his face and say in a voice just barely above a whisper, "That doesn't mean I would ever stop loving them."
The troll looks so heartbroken, but tries to hide it by turning his back to you once more, "Get some sleep. We need our energy for tonight."
With a frown, you nod and wrap your arms around his waist once more, "Goodnight, my prince."
"Goodnight, my assassin..."
~
The next morning, found yourself asleep on the floor, having somehow managed to roll off the bed. The only reason you began to stir because you heard a light knock at the princes door. You wake up immediately, sitting up and hitting your head on the bedside, groaning. Karkat grumbles and sits up, motioning for you to hide under the bed as he goes to the door. You does so, pulling the blankets lower to hide yourself. He opens the door to find your brother, Dirk standing before him. "Oh, Prince Dirk. What a surprise."
He smiles, "I can tell. I was just curious if you had plans for today. I thought it'd be fitting for us to go do something as a couple. You know, to get to know each other."
"Well, I'm busy later tonight, but I suppose that would be alright," You squeal internally, happy that Karkat remembered your 'date'.
"Ill have you home by eight. Will that be alright?"
"I think so. Just let me change first."
Dirk nods and smiles, "And no need to be so formal. We are to be wed. Call me Dirk."
Karkat nods, "Alright. I'll be down in a moment...Dirk." He closes the door, a bright red flush covering his cheeks.
You frown, looking at him. "what?" You mouthed, quietly crawling out from under the bed.
"It would seem as though I have two dates planned for tonight..." he murmurs as he rubs the back of his neck.
You crawl over to your clothes, "Well, I hope you have fun."
He frowns and looks away, "Yeah..." You start putting them on, not looking at Karkat, "...I'll meet you in the theater tonight...when does it start?"
"I'll pick you up, don't worry about the rest."
He nods and dresses in semi-casual clothing and comfortable shoes, "Does this look alright? It's supposed to get cool later."
"You always look nice, Karkat" you quickly pick up your coat and walk to the balcony. Karkat's ears lower, the troll trying to hide his hurt expression. You hesitate but walk back to him and kisses him quickly on the cheek before going back to the balcony.
The troll smiles a little, "See you at our date."
"Be ready by 9" you mumble and jump from the balcony.
He bites his lip, "Okay..." he makes his way downstairs to where Dirk was waiting for him.
~
You're sitting on the balcony around dusk, looking at the view of the kingdom as you wait for Karkat to return. He returns right on time, closing the door behind him. "How was it?" You ask, turning to look at the prince.
He smiles a little and shrugs "I enjoyed it. He's a lot like you."
"Is he," you stands up, not really asking, "Do you want to wait a while before going?"
"If you'd like to."
"Are you okay with sneaking out of your window?"
He nods, "Yes, that's fine."
You hold your hand out, sitting on the ledge. Karkat hesitantly takes it, looking unsure. You pull him closer, wrapping your arms around his waist. He flushes scarlet, looking confused. "It'd be a good idea for you to hold onto me, too," you smile. The troll swallows thickly, wrapping his arms around your neck. You smile wider and fall back, pulling Karkat with you. His eyes widen in fear and he tries not to scream, burying his face in your chest. You laugh and hug him tighter as you fall.
"I-Is this how you're going to kill me?" His claws dig into your shirt.
You don't answer because you've hit the bushes beneath the balcony. The prince clings to him even tighter, giving him the most confused and fearful look he could. You pat the pillows you had set on the bushes beforehand to cushion your fall, "No harm done," you say as you let go of him.
He frowns, "Where did you get those?"
"You don't want to know. It'll ruin the moment," you sit up.
"We're having a moment? Where did you get them?" His arms wrap around you tighter.
"Well, that Wreckquius guy wasn't in the servants hall..." You don't continue.
He quirks an eyebrow, "You mean Equius?"
You ignore him and stand up, "Are we going, princess?"
Karkat snarls and stands, brushing himself off "Yes, we are," You smile and nod, walking ahead. He follows behind, pulling his hood up. You walk to the palace walls. "Now, don't tell anyone about this okay?" You move some bushes aside to reveal a small hole in the wall.
His eyes widen as he hisses, "You dug a hole in my wall?!"
"It was already there!" You hiss back. "I just made it a bit bigger," you add softly. You bend down and crawl through.
"You expect me to crawl on the filthy ground in these clothes?"
"Why did you wear those clothes?" You look at him through the hole in disbelief.
"You didn't give me time to change" he pouts, crossing his arms.
"I'm sorry, your highness. How inconsiderate of me" you take your coat off and lay it down on the ground. "Crawl over that."
His ears lower and his face flushes, but he does as he's told. You wait for him on the other side. He stands once he's through, picking up the coat and dusting it off thoroughly before handing it back, "Thank you..." He quickly pecks your cheek.
You smile wide, "No problem.." You put your coat back on, "Hey wait a minute," he pulls Karkat's hood back.
He looks up at you confused, "What?"
You mess his hair up, "Better."
He frowns, "What was that for?"
"You've got to look different. Exchange coats with me."
He nods slowly, taking his coat off and holding it out to you, "It might be a little small..."
"Mine might be a little big," you take yours off and give it to Karkat. You take his and put it on. The sleeves are a bit too short but otherwise it fits. His hands are hidden by the sleeves when he puts it on. You grin, "You look adorable."

He blushes and growls, pulling up the hood, "Let's just go before we miss it."

You nod and walk towads the marketplace, "We actually have a while. I told you it doesn't start for a while. It's a special kind of theater."

The troll quirks an eyebrow, slipping his hand into yours to get through the crowd, "Oh?"

You look down at his hand, smiling to yourself as you gently squeeze it in return, "You'll see when we get there." The troll nods, leaning against you. You lead him to a stand selling masquerade masks, "Pick one." He pauses, choosing a fancy black one. You buy it for Karkat and a red one for yourself.

"Why do we need these?"

He takes the masks and starts walking towards the theater. "The theater is a bit...odd."

"Odd? Aren't we going to see a play?"

"More like be the play," You say, looking down at him.

His eyes light up, "What do you mean?"

"It's interactive," you say, leading him down a dark ally.

His ears lower and he flushes a dark pink, "Interactive how?"

"You may have to go on stage," you give him a sheepish smile. He looks terrified yet excited at the same time. "It'll be fun. I'll go up with you if you'd like." He nods, tightening his grip on your hand. You smile and stop in front of a door at the end of the ally.

"I don't know if I can do this..."

"I believe you can." You put on your mask and then Karkat's "Make sure no one finds out who you are."

He nods, "Does it look okay?"

You smile and nod, "It looks great. Are you ready?" He nods weakly and you squeeze his hand, opening the door.