Chapter 8: Like An Open Book

The next morning, your father instructs you to wake your brother and Karkat; of course, like the asshole you are, you climb through the window and take your dear sweet time in painting Dirk's face. You paint a mustache and crazy eyebrows and a frown. The adorable love of your life is curled up in his arms fast asleep, so to ease the jealous pang in your chest, you paint a dick on his forehead. Satisfied with your work, you walk out of the room, wipe your hands off so they wouldn't see the paint, and knock loudly on the door. "WAKEY WAKEY, EGGS AND ROYALTY!"
Dirk groans and pulls Karkat closer "Five minutes...."
You open the door and slam it closed loudly. "THE SUN IS SHINING, THE BIRDS ARE SINGING, AND YOU'RE STILL IN BED. WHAT WOULD YOUR PEOPLE SAY, DIRK?"
"They'd understand if they were sleeping with a cute troll prince..."
You frown slightly. "Just wake up. I don't want to have breakfast alone. Well, alone with a certain person that is."
He sighs and sits up, kissing Karkat's forehead, "We're getting breakfast. Come down when you're ready."
Karkat opens one eye and nods, stopping as soon as he sees the marks all over his face. He snorts and closes his eyes again, "Alright." Dirk walks over to you, a little confused.
You smile at him and waggle your eyebrows. "So....?"
"So what?" He quirks an eyebrow.
"I'm guessing you enjoyed Karkats company" you nudge him.
He flushes and rubs the back of his neck "We didn't do anything..."
You pat Dirk's cheek. "But I'm sure you wanted to."
He bites his lip and shakes his head, standing straighter "I've no need for such trivial, improper things. We are princes and are expected to act as such"
You roll your eyes. "Right. I guess I'm not a prince anymore." You grin and back out of the room. "Also, being a prince doesn't mean you can't do things that make you happy and feel good," You wink.
He shivers, shoving you into the hall and shutting the door. He leans forward and hisses, "Fine. Yes, I want to, but we haven't. We may have kissed a little last night, but nothing more."
"You kissed? Aww," You walk down the hall, "That's cute."
"Shut up. More than you've done," he snaps, blushing deeper.
"He's your fiancé, remember?" You grit your teeth.
He scoffs, "Don't act so innocent."
"Well, if we are dropping the innocent act, I'd like to inform you that I've kissed him too," you growl.
"I know you have. I'm sure that's not all you've done." He growls back.
"What is that supposed to mean?"
"Please, you practically drool all over him. You two seem to have some inside secret. What is it? Did you have sex or something?"
"We didn't have sex!" You shove him. "Unlike you, we can actually have fun without involving a dick!"
"What the hell! You've fantasized about it too, and for your information so can we, so fuck off!"
"With pleasure," You begin to storm away when the bedroom door clicks open and the troll steps out, looking between the two of you, "...is this what I am to you? Part of a contest that's tearing apart your relationship?" You look back at him and freeze, "You two are sick," he snarls, pushing past you both and heading towards the stairs.
You panic and follow him, "Karkat, wait!"
"Get away from me," he snaps.
"You're not a competition!" You grab his wrist. "I swear, you aren't!"
He pulls away and slaps you right across the face, "Don't you DARE touch me."
Dirk cautiously walks over "I'm sorry. We'll behave."
You put a hand over your cheek, looking down. "Right. We will."
"Stay away from me. And you," he drags Dirk to he bathroom "You look like a tool."
You stand there for a moment as the pain sinks in before going back to your room. After Karkat cleans off Dirk's face and goes downstairs, Dirk slowly making his way to your room. You stay under the covers for a long while. At one point or another, one of the servants brought you breakfast upstairs, but it was still sitting untouched when Dirk walked over and knocked, "David...?" You don't respond, "David I'm sorry about this morning... Please talk to me..." Again, you don't respond, rather curling up and staying under the blankets, "...I want you to be my best man."
You stay silent for a moment, "...You have got to be kidding."
"No, I'm serious," You get up and open the door, immediately going back under the covers, "You said you were okay with this."
"He doesn't want me around him and  I'm in love with him and you think it's a good idea to make me best man?"
Dirk cringes a bit at the word 'love' but seems to brush it off and continues, "He just needs to cool off for a bit. After he washed off my face he slapped me and told me to watch my mouth if I ever expected to get anywhere so..."
You look at him, the covers up to your nose and mutter, "And making me best man would help him cool off how?"
"Space will help him calm down. I'm not saying talk to him now. I want you as my best man. I want you there because you're my brother and I love you."
"I love you too," You sit up, "Fine, alright. Best man of the kingdom. Its sounds exciting."
He cracks a small smile, sitting beside you, "It means a lot to me...especially knowing how you feel...I'm glad that my happiness means that much to you..."
"It always does," you turn to hug him.
He hugs you tightly in return, "I'll make it up to you...I swear on my life..."
"No need," you pull back.
"I know how much he means to you. Of course I have to. I'll figure something out..."
You nod, "Still, I'm just going stay in bed for a while."
He ruffles your hair and stands, "Karkat is currently be fitted for his suits by the seamstress. I'd recommend going to apologize in a little while. I think he wants to talk to you."
You try to fix your hair, "I am really not in the mood for a reminder on why I'm so horrible."
"I think he wants to apologize, too."
"Right," you stand up, pushing your hair out of your eyes, "Why are you being so nice anyways?"
"Because he's right," Dirk looks away, "We're tearing each other apart over him. It isn't right..."
You pause, "No more fighting over serious matters?"
"This isn't that serious... Not enough so as to ruin us..."
"It almost did though," you point out.
"I refuse to let anyone ruin our brotherhood. No matter how dear they may be to me...."
"Stop making me want to hug you," you smile a bit.
He returns it, though it's much weaker, almost pained, "My apologies... I should take my leave."
"Wait a moment," you hug him tightly and he halfheartedly hugs back, "What's wrong?" You ask and let go of him, looking concerned.
He forces a smile, "Its nothing of concern."
You step back, "Alright..." You know it will do no good to fight him on this. He's stubborn. He definitely won't budge, but you know there's something off about him.
"I'll see you at dinner," He heads for the door. You nod as he leaves, watching him carefully. It pains you to see him in such distress. You just wish you could read him as well as he can read you.