Chapter 1: To Get Away With Murder

Everything in the world has a purpose and helps to keep everything in balance. In 15th century Earth and Alternia, this is no exception. Everyone and everything is created, exists, and is destroyed, such is the way of the cosmos. The kings and queens of the lands, both troll and human, rule their subjects with a firm yet gentle hand. The merchants supply those subjects the goods and services they desire. The subjects themselves drone on through their everyday lives, wishing they had what they can never get.
Then there is you.
Your name is DAVID STRIDER. You are quite possibly THE GREATEST ASSASSIN OF YOUR TIME, though you don't like to brag. You work for THE LOYAL SUBJECTS OF THE LANDS who all refer to you as THE CROW KILLER. This is the name the townspeople came up with, not one of your own design. Perhaps it is because of your CHARMING PET CROW. He is sort of like your SECOND SET OF EYES and watches your back for PALACE GUARDS. Speaking of the palace, the reminds you of your current objective.
You see, there is another group that has yet to be named who also help keep everyone and everything in check. They are THE PRINCES AND PRINCESSES. Each group, the humans, the land dwelling trolls, and the sea dwelling trolls, all have either a prince or a princess who will soon be the heir to the throne. They are essential to the cycle of your society, and there are many people, human and troll alike, who would pay good money for their heads. This is where you come in. It is the reason you have food on your table and a roof over your head. That is metaphorical, of course. You can't stay in one place too long, lest you'll be caught. No, the proper term would be "a room at the inn and a beer at the bar". These unloyal subjects out for blood are also the reason you are currently standing over THE SLEEPING PRINCE OF THE LAND DWELLING TROLLS.
It wasn't easy to get up here. The palace is always swarmed with blue-blooded guards who serve the royal family, but you managed to dispose of them quickly and reach the prince's quarters unseen. Personally, you have nothing against the prince himself. Your bone to pick is with his father, but unfortunately, money is money and you'll get plenty of it once PRINCE KARKAT is out of the picture.
He looks so peaceful when he sleeps. His freckle covered button nose twitches in his sleep and his hair is a disheveled mess. Every part of him, down to his beautifully long, dark eyelashes takes your breath away. It's too bad he is your next target.
As you unsheathe your sword, ready to plunge it through his chest and claim your reward, the troll beneath you begins to stir. You panic and hide, your heart beating a million miles an hour. If you screw this job up, you can kiss that money and possibly your life goodbye. The prince sits up and rubs his eyes. His voice is soft and tired when he speaks, "Hello...? Equius...?" He pauses, as if waiting for a response. When he gets none, he pulls the blanket to his chest and speaks in a shaky voice, "...Wh...Who's there? Come out at once. I know I heard you..." Well, it would seem as though the jig is up, isn't it? He has no weapons, you can see that much, so you step out into the moonlight. You can hear him catch his breath as the light glints off of your sword, "...Wh-Who are you?"
You pause a moment before chuckling, "You mean besides your worst nightmare, my lord?" In a split second, you're on top of him, his arms pinned above his head and your sword to his neck. His bright red and yellow eyes are filled with fear as he trembles, but makes no move to escape you, "You might know me as The Crow Killer. As for my employer, well, that information is classified."
The prince swallows thickly, his voice just above a whisper, "So you've been sent to kill me..." He says, more of a statement than a question.
You nod, moving your hand from his wrists, down his cheek, and to his jaw, your fingers dancing lightly over his skin, "Yes, it's truly a shame. Soon I'll have to rip the life from your lungs. You'll look even more beautiful when kissed by death. Don't worry," you lean down, your noses touching and your bright ruby eyes meeting his, "I won't make a mess. Consider it my consolation to you."
His eyes flutter closed, the young troll ready to accept his fate, when you hear footsteps pounding down the hall towards the room. They must've found the bodies. You curse to yourself and quickly sheathe your sword, scrambling out of the prince's bed and running out to the balcony. You're ready to jump from the railing when you feel a small hand grasp your wrist. Glancing back, you find the prince with a bewildered look on his face, "You'll die from jumping off there. Who are you really?"
You can see the door to his room fly open, a mass of guards rushing in. Returning your attention to the troll before you, you grab him by the chin and press your lips to his. "Strider. David Strider. Be good and stay alive, my prince. I'll be back for you soon enough." And with that, you pry yourself from his grip and fall backwards from your perch. He screams as you hit the bushes two stories under his window. As you pull yourself out of the brush, you can see the guards drag the prince away and go back inside, no doubt to chase after you. You turn on your heel and beeline for the woods. It's your safest bet for now.
The prince will be yours, and once you drain the life from his beautiful face, you will reap the spoils that are sure to come your way.